Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 10:56 PM

19,122 posts, read 25,323,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandicA View Post
Hmm why is NJ so expensive???
Part of the explanation is the proximity to NYC.
Another part of the explanation has to do with the large number of small towns in NJ, each with its own governmental structure. This situation leads to high taxes, and real estate taxes are factored into rental costs.

However, just to make you feel better about living costs in NJ (and in the US, in general), you should be aware that the taxes deducted from your salary are FAR lower than what you are used to in your native country. While many Americans believe that they are paying very high taxes in comparison to the rest of the civilized world, the reality is that the total tax burden in the US is extremely low in comparison to most European countries.

You will also find that gasoline in the US costs FAR less than you are used to paying in Denmark. Just like with taxes, most Americans gripe about the cost of gasoline, but are apparently unaware of how much gasoline costs in most other countries. Even with recent increases in gasoline costs, we are still paying less than $1.00 per litre in this area. Just for the sake of comparison, can you tell us what the price per litre of gasoline is currently in Denmark?

Food is also likely to be somewhat cheaper in the US.

Conversely, public transit is more expensive in the US, but--in balance--you will likely find that your low tax situation and relatively low expenses for gasoline will make for a less expensive living situation than you are used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 10:59 PM

34 posts, read 57,717 times
Quote:
Hmm why is NJ so expensive???
Because it is convenient and peaceful in certain places. It's not as expensive in places that are the opposite.

Right now my home is about to enter the real estate market for $499k and people have been contacting me in regards to it because of it's location. It is actually about 5-10 minutes away from Paramus depending on where in Paramus you are heading. It is actually a very nice neighborhood with family-like neighbors. It's a good place to be raised up as a child. I was raised up here and I wouldn't trade the outdoor-y experience from the park that is two blocks away, being outside on the driveway playing basketball with neighbors, and just running around the grass.

We have been here for 20 years and we've had the same neighbors for all that time. Not one neighbor wants to move. My parents are retiring and leaving the country, that is why we are putting it on the market. I live in Westwood, NJ. A good community feel.

Bergen County is a place where you would want your children to be raised up. Good academic possibilities such as local public schools. Alongside that, if you want your child to go to even a better school, Bergen County has high schools called Bergen Academies (Known for it's academic excellence) and Bergen Tech. Those are county high schools (you need to take a test and go through an interview to get in). There are also local high schools that are very good schools to go to. If your children are into sports, there are some established private high schools (ranked highly nationally) here that bring in recruits from top universities/colleges in the Nation.

Alongside all this, safety. In my area, you can keep your door unlocked for years and nothing would ever happen. Literally, years. I know it's hard to believe. But it's true.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:04 PM

154 posts, read 197,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Part of the explanation is the proximity to NYC.
Another part of the explanation has to do with the large number of small towns in NJ, each with its own governmental structure. This situation leads to high taxes, and real estate taxes are factored into rental costs.

However, just to make you feel better about living costs in NJ (and in the US, in general), you should be aware that the taxes deducted from your salary are FAR lower than what you are used to in your native country. While many Americans believe that they are paying very high taxes in comparison to the rest of the civilized world, the reality is that the total tax burden in the US is extremely low in comparison to most European countries.

You will also find that gasoline in the US costs FAR less than you are used to paying in Denmark. Just like with taxes, most Americans gripe about the cost of gasoline, but are apparently unaware of how much gasoline costs in most other countries.

Food is also likely to be somewhat cheaper in the US.

Conversely, public transit is more expensive in the US, but--in balance--you will likely find that your low tax situation and relatively low expenses for gasoline will make for a less expensive living situation than you are used to.
But taxes aren't that low either in America? Yes, we do have high taxes in Denmark, but at least we get lots of things back, such as 5 week paid vacation, free school/college, free health care, low/no property tax, etc. of which you must pay there.

I looked up online, someone living in Mahwah pays 22 000 property tax every year for normal sized house.. That is crazy! Thats what I pay for rent every year

Old 03-03-2013, 11:06 PM

34 posts, read 57,717 times
The reason it is expensive is because of it's distance to major cities in the Northeast. I get into the city in 30 minutes.

I just got back from playing basketball in West 500 56th Street, NYC and drove home to Westwood, NJ in 25 minutes. Even Philadelphia is less than two hours away; I went there last week and got there in two hours.

You can consider buying a house in this area as an investment because the value is based on the proximity. The proximity will never change. I truly believe it is a good investment. People love being able to get in and out of the city in 30 minutes.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
But taxes aren't that low either in America?

You may find this interesting:
Countries With the Highest Income Tax Rates

Old 03-04-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
You may find this interesting:
Countries With the Highest Income Tax Rates
Very high taxes, but like I said before we get lots of things back from it anyway. I myself pay 33% income tax.
But you guys pay high property tax something that we dont have here

Old 03-04-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Very high taxes, but like I said before we get lots of things back from it anyway. I myself pay 33% income tax.
But you guys pay high property tax something that we dont have here
Perhaps you should reconsider your decision about moving to NJ.
It sounds like your native country is much more to your liking.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:14 AM

1,559 posts, read 2,150,444 times
You have to remember that the house that has the $22,000 property tax in Mahwah is worth $1,500,000 to $2,000,000 so it's all relative. Property taxes for your price range is $3,000 to $5,000 in Mahwah and $4,000 to $6,000 in Paramus.

Keep in mind these 2 towns have the lowest property taxes in Bergen county so expect to pay more in other towns given the same price range.

You can start your search here:

Find Real Estate in New Jersey - New Jersey Multiple Listing Service

Old 03-04-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
Keep in mind these 2 towns have the lowest property taxes in Bergen county so expect to pay more in other towns given the same price range.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:15 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,143 times
Quote:
But taxes aren't that low either in America? Yes, we do have high taxes in Denmark, but at least we get lots of things back, such as 5 week paid vacation, free school/college, free health care, low/no property tax, etc. of which you must pay there.

I looked up online, someone living in Mahwah pays 22 000 property tax every year for normal sized house.. That is crazy! Thats what I pay for rent every year
Why would anyone leave?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey