U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 05:01 PM

18,049 posts, read 22,646,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I totally agree with this. I hate 206 on the weekend, never mind rush hour.

When the 206 bypass opens, it will help a lot, but since that event is probably a couple of years in the future, it doesn't help the OP at this point.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 07:51 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,260,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
When the 206 bypass opens, it will help a lot, but since that event is probably a couple of years in the future, it doesn't help the OP at this point.

According to reports the construction on the 206 bypass is not expected to be completed until 2017 or 2018. (and that is if they do not hit any snags/delays) Route 206 Bypass Completion Date: 2017 or 2018 - Hillsborough, NJ Patch

KoalaNJ

Old 04-09-2013, 11:29 AM

264 posts, read 566,834 times
Well, getting off of 287 and to RWJ can also be a crawl..

Old 04-09-2013, 07:48 PM

200 posts, read 533,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
I'd add New Providence and Long Hill to your list. Be sure to check out homes in all of Bernards Twp, not just Basking Ridge. The Twp consists of Lyons, BR, Millington, and Liberty Corner. Most realtor sites are notorious for not presenting all the sections of the town together, so you must search by each section of the Twp. *shakes head*

HTH
KoalaNJ

I believe Millington is part of Long Hill Twp, Not Bernards Twp....just to clarify Although, people do tend to 'lump' them together as Basking Ridge.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:25 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,260,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen123RE View Post
I believe Millington is part of Long Hill Twp, Not Bernards Twp....just to clarify Although, people do tend to 'lump' them together as Basking Ridge.
Actually there are quite a few homes in Bernards Twp that have a Millington address and zip. Which is why I included it when mentioning what towns to enter when searching for listings at the realty websites. For some odd unexplainable reason, finding every listing in Bernards Twp entails entering every section of the twp by name when on realty sites. A long time ago the area in question was known as West Millington, but that moniker has long since fell from use.

KoalaNJ

Old 04-09-2013, 09:05 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,933,208 times
The one thing I would like to emphasize, is that regardless of where within these areas you pick to live, learn and explore the back roads heavily.

This is mostly not a densely populated area, there are a lot of potential routes/roads to go places. The roads also usually have pretty good speed limits, 35+ mph. You can really move on a lot of them, so don't make the assumption that highways are necessarily the best way of getting somewhere. (For example, Millington to New Brunswick, I would probably not touch a single highway). Crack open Google Maps and check out possible options/routes.

However, most of the roads come from things like carriage paths 100+ years ago. As you might guess, this also means there are some intersections that no sane person would devise, and some spots that get major traffic jams. The difference in commute time between someone who knows the area and doesn't, is often pretty huge.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:21 AM

26,589 posts, read 59,500,580 times
Bridgewater or even Branchburg would be great choices. I'd also look at Martinsville and Warren. It's going to depend on your price range.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:27 AM

12,285 posts, read 34,317,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
i regularly drive from my home in morris county to my SIL's in Skillman, and my blood pressure rises 20 points when I enter Hillsborough. I can't wait for this bypass (btw, thanks for the info, I didn't even know there were plans for it).

Old 04-11-2013, 07:22 AM

328 posts, read 1,005,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazin09 View Post
Well, getting off of 287 and to RWJ can also be a crawl..
Having done the commute from Hillsborough to RWJ, that was my thought!

Someone is not going to avoid 287 in this scenario. In Hillsborough, you can take Dukes Parkway up to the area where 206 is 2 lanes. Everyone assumes that you MUST travel the one lane section through Hillsborough to get anywhere and that's definitely not true. I almost never travel that section of Rt 206.

Basking Ridge is around exit 30 on Rt 287 which is not a bad distance from Hillsborough. Rt 287 North does get backed up and congested but getting closer to Basking Ridge means being further from New Brunswick.

I was thinking the OP could take backroads in Hillsborough to Dukes Parkway which ends at the double lane section of Rt 206 to Rt 287. His wife can travel Rt 514/Amwell Rd to RWJ. Both commutes would be in the 30 minute range (depending on the section of Hillsborough).

I think Bridgewater is a good option too. Bridgewater is by Rt 287 North and OP's wife could likely take backroads through Hillsborough or Manville to get to Rt 514 is Rt 287 is crazy. I love Branchburg too but then you deal with Rt 202 craziness and they both deal with Rt 287 craziness.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:05 AM

800 posts, read 1,195,251 times
wow, this picked up in the past few days, we have been spending alot of time looking at the small inventory in branchburg, is there any specific area that floods? someone mentioned it earlier. we like the staats area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey