U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 02:38 PM

800 posts, read 1,187,372 times

Advertisements

I just accepted a job that starts in a few months in basking ridge (verizon), and my wife works at Robert wood in new brunswick, we are looking for a single family home, good schools (for the future), and somewhat in the middle for us commute wise with preference closer to basking ridge. where should we look at for a 3-4 BR, 500-600k house. besides decent schools, my wife prefers newer homes and we dont care if its rural vs non rural, both are fine, but something close to major highways is a plus.

suggestions?

we've been looking at basking ridge, bernardsville, gillete, berkely heights, bridgewater, and branchburg
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 03:03 PM

2,321 posts, read 1,788,513 times
Definetely look into Bridgewater, particularly the eastern portion of the township

Old 03-05-2013, 03:07 PM

12,285 posts, read 34,234,029 times
bedminster/basking ridge (although in BR not sure your budget works) in The Hills?

Old 03-05-2013, 03:08 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 17,161,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penga25 View Post
I just accepted a job that starts in a few months in basking ridge (verizon), and my wife works at Robert wood in new brunswick, we are looking for a single family home, good schools (for the future), and somewhat in the middle for us commute wise with preference closer to basking ridge. where should we look at for a 3-4 BR, 500-600k house. besides decent schools, my wife prefers newer homes and we dont care if its rural vs non rural, both are fine, but something close to major highways is a plus.

suggestions?

we've been looking at basking ridge, bernardsville, gillete, berkely heights, bridgewater, and branchburg
Bridgewater and Branchburg are an easier commute to New Brunswick with Bridgewater being the easiest or the two.

All those towns you listed are good choices. You will get more house for you money in Branchburg but I don't know about many newer homes built in that price range.

Good luck.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:15 PM

200 posts, read 532,163 times
Quote:

suggestions?

\
All of the towns you mention are good towns and you should be able to find something in your price range. Basking Ridge is close to 78 and 287 as is Bernardsville and have excellent schools. Not sure if you will find too many newer homes in that price range as most new construction is pricey in these areas, however, as mentioned above, The Hills, which is a huge development which is in both Basking Ridge and Bedminster is a newer community.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:31 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,247,138 times
Quote:

I'd add New Providence and Long Hill to your list. Be sure to check out homes in all of Bernards Twp, not just Basking Ridge. The Twp consists of Lyons, BR, Millington, and Liberty Corner. Most realtor sites are notorious for not presenting all the sections of the town together, so you must search by each section of the Twp. *shakes head*

You should also be careful when looking in Branchburg as there are some serious flooding issues in parts of that community. A small part of Bridgewater also has bad flooding issues. Another thing to be sure to look at is the commute from Warren to the NB area - the most direct route entails driving on Warrenville Road, which is extremely steep, (it literally goes up the side of a Mt.) and almost impassible in bad weather (forget it all together if it is snowing/sleeting) plus you have to deal with the traffic nightmare that is Rte 22.

HTH
KoalaNJ

Old 04-08-2013, 08:32 AM

328 posts, read 1,002,334 times
I'd go with Bridgewater or even Hillsborough. Both should be a similar commute to your jobs.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:24 AM

1,450 posts, read 3,247,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digi21 View Post
I'd go with Bridgewater or even Hillsborough. Both should be a similar commute to your jobs.

No, do not consider Hillsborough! Although it is a wonderful community with lots to offer, dealing with the commute from Hillsborough would be a nightmare! You are not near major highways, and the commute on rt 206 during rush is just horrible, as 206 is for the most part a 2 lane country road w.traffic lights and with enough traffic volume to warrant a 6 lane thoroughfare. During rush hours AM and PM 206 is a slow crawl all the way from Princeton to just south of Somerville. (and that is if there are no accidents or bad weather)

KoalaNJ

Old 04-08-2013, 02:51 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,919,295 times
I know you say you want to be closer to Basking Ridge, but the further East you go, you lengthen the NB commute dramatically, and you really have no good ways of going to NB. I would consider something like Warren to be far more ideal than Berkeley Heights is, for example. New Providence would be absolutely miserable, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
Another thing to be sure to look at is the commute from Warren to the NB area - the most direct route entails driving on Warrenville Road, which is extremely steep, (it literally goes up the side of a Mt.) and almost impassible in bad weather (forget it all together if it is snowing/sleeting) plus you have to deal with the traffic nightmare that is Rte 22.
I've spent my entire life going up and down that road, thousands of times. You're rather overstating the problem with bad weather. In the 1-2x a year bad snowstorms it's an issue (and really, most of NJ is a mess), otherwise it's open and fine. It used to be more of an issue 5-10 years ago, but they roughed up the surface on the downhill side which seems to have improved traction, and they salt/plow the hell out of the road now in lighter storms. There's also short enough detours in either direction (Morning Glory/Mountain Ave to the West, and either Washington Ave or Somerset St to the East) that a 1-2x a year detour isn't really something to be concerned about.

It also wouldn't have much point to be taking 22 from Warrenville Rd, local roads over to whichever option you're using to get into NB (Hoes Ln/Rt 18, River Rd, Easton Ave) are going to be a much more direct, and more reliable idea than trying to take the highways to get to those options.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:53 PM

12,285 posts, read 34,234,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
No, do not consider Hillsborough! Although it is a wonderful community with lots to offer, dealing with the commute from Hillsborough would be a nightmare! You are not near major highways, and the commute on rt 206 during rush is just horrible, as 206 is for the most part a 2 lane country road w.traffic lights and with enough traffic volume to warrant a 6 lane thoroughfare. During rush hours AM and PM 206 is a slow crawl all the way from Princeton to just south of Somerville. (and that is if there are no accidents or bad weather)

KoalaNJ
I totally agree with this. I hate 206 on the weekend, never mind rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey