U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2013, 08:41 AM

12 posts, read 19,265 times

Advertisements

My husband just got a job in Trenton, so it looks like we will be moving to New Jersey in late spring/early summer. We have been researching the area and like the sound of Plainsboro a lot due to the great schools, parks, and library and the affordable rent (our budget is about $1500/month and we need 2 bedrooms with washer and dryer in unit; we also strongly prefer an on-site fitness center), but we are concerned about what the commute would be like.

Google Maps shows a commute of about 20-25 minutes from the apartment complex we're considering to my husband's workplace. This is already a bit longer than we consider ideal (we'd prefer 15 minutes or less), so we're wondering if it's an accurate estimate or if congestion would tend to make it even longer? My husband's job will be just off US-1 in Trenton and on a typical day he would need to be at work by 7:30 AM and leave for home about 5:30 PM.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 09:16 AM

886 posts, read 2,110,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netone View Post
My husband just got a job in Trenton, so it looks like we will be moving to New Jersey in late spring/early summer. We have been researching the area and like the sound of Plainsboro a lot due to the great schools, parks, and library and the affordable rent (our budget is about $1500/month and we need 2 bedrooms with washer and dryer in unit; we also strongly prefer an on-site fitness center), but we are concerned about what the commute would be like.

Google Maps shows a commute of about 20-25 minutes from the apartment complex we're considering to my husband's workplace. This is already a bit longer than we consider ideal (we'd prefer 15 minutes or less), so we're wondering if it's an accurate estimate or if congestion would tend to make it even longer? My husband's job will be just off US-1 in Trenton and on a typical day he would need to be at work by 7:30 AM and leave for home about 5:30 PM.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Nothing is 15 mins here in NJ, go with Plainsboro and be happy you don't live in Trenton. Good luck, you should like it there.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:33 PM

2,973 posts, read 8,467,202 times
I drive into Trenton from the Plainsboro area a couple of times a week. The trip is 20 minutes tops, most of the traffic is going Rt 1 North in the am. He will be going Rt 1 South, the reverse commute.

I never considered my drive "a commute", in New Jersey 20 minutes is a "quick trip"

Old 03-13-2013, 10:33 PM

3,014 posts, read 5,421,141 times
In NJ 15 minutes is just getting to the supermarket. LOL

You've chosen a nice area to live. The school district for Plainsboro is West Windsor-Plainsboro School District, which besides Plainsboro includes West Windsor & Princeton Junction.

NJ Transit will get you from the Princetion Junction train station to Trenton, a quick trip by NJ standards of commuting.

www.njtransit.com to look at train schedules. You can also look at bus routes at that site. The NJ Transit 600 bus stops at the Princetion Junction Station. There's also the Dinky (Princeton Shuttle) train stop in Princeton (right by the University) which is a train that just goes between downtown Princeton & Princeton Junction.

Princeton has lots of inexpensive theater & nice (free) museums on the campus, plus wonderful public lectures. The U also runs their own bus lines which are free for the community to use.
Transportation & Parking

PrincetonInfo US1 weekly newspaper has lists of local events for kids & adults.

Last edited by daliowa; 03-13-2013 at 10:36 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 03-14-2013, 07:48 AM

45 posts, read 77,695 times
The commute from Plainsboro to Trenton has one bottleneck section on route 1, between roughly Harrison St and Washington St. As a tradeoff you might look for an apartment south of there, in the Clarksburg Rd/Alexander Rd area, which is a reasonable but "sterile" area. Or you can go south further into Lawrenceville where stuff like crime starts to get a little sketchy. Plainsboro is a safe clean pleasant community with good schools and it has a Chinese segment from what I understand. However unless you are real close to the one or two shopping centers you are going to need a car to get around, this is true for anywhere in central NJ. If schools are important stick to West Windsor-Plainsboro.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:10 AM

300 posts, read 872,376 times
Plainsboro is excellent choice with tons of apartment complex (though small). Other option is Robinsville if you are looking for renting townhouse. You can also consider east windsor, not as good as other two but you get better value for your money and little more convinient for shoping and TKPE exit 8.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:49 AM

9 posts, read 24,236 times
I currently reside in Robbinsville and it is a great area (plenty of townhouses and apartments available for rent and purchase), and about 15-20 min drive to Trenton.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:19 PM

24,657 posts, read 37,157,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialManiac88 View Post
I currently reside in Robbinsville and it is a great area (plenty of townhouses and apartments available for rent and purchase), and about 15-20 min drive to Trenton.
You can't get to Trenton from Robbinsville on public transportation though.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:22 PM

24,657 posts, read 37,157,787 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjohnnyt View Post
The commute from Plainsboro to Trenton has one bottleneck section on route 1, between roughly Harrison St and Washington St. As a tradeoff you might look for an apartment south of there, in the Clarksburg Rd/Alexander Rd area, which is a reasonable but "sterile" area.
Lots of condos, townhomes and rental apts in the area between and around Alexander, Clarksburg and Meadow Roads, which form a rough triangle (or trapezoid) around Route 1. All of this falls within West Windsor. Sterile is good if you're raising kids.

Quote:
Or you can go south further into Lawrenceville where stuff like crime starts to get a little sketchy. Plainsboro is a safe clean pleasant community with good schools and it has a Chinese segment from what I understand. However unless you are real close to the one or two shopping centers you are going to need a car to get around, this is true for anywhere in central NJ. If schools are important stick to West Windsor-Plainsboro.
Lots of Chinese and Indians in Plainsboro and West Windsor, and the school district is the same. West Windsor's Mayor is Chinese (Taiwanese), and the school board President in Indian.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:54 AM

386 posts, read 824,929 times
Plainsboro to Trenton is barely a commute.

Hamilton and Lawrence are closer and cheaper, but their schools aren't as good, Lawrence is better than Hamilton here though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey