Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 04:02 PM

6 posts, read 6,675 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I have been a lurker for a couple of months but I now have more concrete information and wanted your advice.

We are looking to move to NJ in a couple of months. As my husband is self-employed the "where" is pretty wide open.

Here are these answers first, then I'll add more details below:

Where are you coming from? California
Why are you moving? Hurricane Sandy brought husband and he fell in love with area
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? All around Northeast, not in NYC though

Will you buy or rent? Rent initially, then buy
What is your budget? Rent: $3000-4000, buy will be around $800,000
What kind of place are you looking for ? Larger home (around 2800+ square feet) hopefully with area in either finished basement or actual "in-law quarters"

Will anyone (spouse, children) be moving with you ? 3 small children (6, 3, 2)
Do you need/want good public school? Yes, very important

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc) We would like a neighborhood with some distance between houses (we live on 7 acres now, we don't need that much but prefer at least 1/2 an acre so our neighbors aren't right on top of us). Families with small children somewhat nearby would be great too.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)
1. Good schools
2. Nearby food and shopping (preferably nicer shops and restaurants, not only fast food and Walmart), and by nearby I mean within about 5-10 minute drive
3. Friendly people

I have only been to NJ once, flying into PHL and visiting the western area near Washington, Lebanon, Tewksbury and also into PA near Bethlehem, PA and the Center Valley, Quakertown area. I love these areas in general. I prefer the Bethlehem, PA area for the availability of nearby shopping and dining and also understand Bucks County is known to have good schools. However, my husband thinks he is going to be doing more work in more eastern NJ (he's a contractor) and we want him to be a little closer to home. A commute up to an hour is ok. I am looking for an area like the area near Bethlehem but in NJ instead.

I hope that gives you an idea of what I am looking for, please feel free to ask more questions if you need more information. Thanks so much!

Last edited by tasilva; 03-14-2013 at 04:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 07:17 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
I don't have any specific recommendations but I think a lot of places in Morris County would satisfy those criteria. You wouldn't want to live in Morristown itself (lots too small) but you'd find nicer shops and restaurants there.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:36 PM

901 posts, read 2,248,668 times
Based on your criteria and preferences I agree on Morris county or Hunterdon also fits. The commute to eastern NJ will be rough though.

Another option but totally different feel would be Eastern Monmouth County, instead of mountains you'll get a beach feel. Both areas have great schools and nice towns to raise a family.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:08 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,232,453 times
With that money, you can afford the best schools. Tenafly, Ridgewood, Millburn, Chatham. I probably missed one or two of the top districts. They're all very fancy towns with a lot to offer nearby.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:41 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,747,317 times
Look into Howel Township: Howell Township, NJ - Official Website

This is different than what you've mentioned, but I'll bet you never thought of looking in this area. Check it out, if you get a chance. Have a good map or GPS; it's easy to get lost in this area. There are some developments with a lot of land in this area: Township of Tabernacle

Old 03-15-2013, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
With that money, you can afford the best schools. Tenafly, Ridgewood, Millburn, Chatham. I probably missed one or two of the top districts. They're all very fancy towns with a lot to offer nearby.
I believe the op is looking for more rural than Bergen County

Old 03-15-2013, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
Look into Howel Township: Howell Township, NJ - Official Website

This is different than what you've mentioned, but I'll bet you never thought of looking in this area. Check it out, if you get a chance. Have a good map or GPS; it's easy to get lost in this area. There are some developments with a lot of land in this area: Township of Tabernacle
While Howell is rural you wouldn't consider this town for top schools.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:45 AM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Tasilva, where did your husband work when he was in New Jersey? What did he like about those areas?

Old 03-15-2013, 06:51 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,747,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
While Howell is rural you wouldn't consider this town for top schools.
Again, it would be helpful if you could supply a link to the OP so they can make their decision based on facts and not only personal opinions.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:28 AM

206 posts, read 532,572 times
Mendham and Chester are near-perfect for you. A little less shopping/dining within 10 minutes than some other areas, but in those other areas you'd have to sacrifice either on lot or house size. A couple of other towns for consideration would be Mountain Lakes and Chatham Twp, though not sure if you could get 2800 sq ft in an updated home for 800k in those two towns. Lastly Warren and Basking Ridge, actually those two might be the best fits. Check out those 6 towns and you can't go wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey