Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 10:48 PM

4,427 posts, read 5,154,316 times

Advertisements

So which is these wealthy communities feels richest to you?

Per Capita, Median Housefold incomes, can of course be considered as factors,
but shouldn't be used exclusively here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 07:53 AM

280 posts, read 603,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
So which is these wealthy communities feels richest to you?

Per Capita, Median Housefold incomes, can of course be considered as factors,
but shouldn't be used exclusively here.
Why?

Mendham has many people barely getting by (mainly in the Boro), and the town has no money to upgrade their only outdated shopping strip mall.
Bernardsville has a train station, and as in most towns with one, there tend to be groups of day laborer guys just hanging out there at all times of day. Not a very upscale image.

Many people look at the multi million dollar mansions and think - wealthy. Look at the regular folks who live in these towns, and tell me which feels richest to you.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:47 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
Alpine

Old 03-16-2013, 03:02 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,454,676 times
[quote=ResearchMom;28678816]Why?

"Mendham has many people barely getting by (mainly in the Boro), and the town has no money to upgrade their only outdated shopping strip mall."

Researchmom, I am afraid you are quite mistaken in what you are saying. Mendham Borough's finances are of no consequence what so ever to the strip mall, which is privately owned, and does not receive government money to operate. This is the case with most every commercial property, and improvements to their property are done at the discretion of the owner.

KoalaNJ

Old 03-16-2013, 08:03 PM

I stand corrected! The owner of the shopping mall in Mendham does indeed live in a multi million dollar mansion in Far Hills. Just driving by his white property and gazing upon the black iron fence with a grand entrance gate, I wonder, does the owner of that picturesque land drive by the lone King's shopping center in Mendham and admire it with awe as well? Shouldn't he? After all it belongs to him and we know it

Old 03-16-2013, 09:48 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,454,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResearchMom View Post
I stand corrected! The owner of the shopping mall in Mendham does indeed live in a multi million dollar mansion in Far Hills. Just driving by his white property and gazing upon the black iron fence with a grand entrance gate, I wonder, does the owner of that picturesque land drive by the lone King's shopping center in Mendham and admire it with awe as well? Shouldn't he? After all it belongs to him and we know it

Actually again Researchmom, your information is incorrect. The property was sold by the original owner/developer in 2005, it is now owned by V-Fee Realty Inv. (I do not know the principal owners of that real estate investment co) The original owner was the owner and operator of the Foodtown supermarket that operated there for many years until the owner retired and moved away from the area. Kings took over the Foodtown store back in the early 90's. The whole shopping center was renovated around the time Kings came, and subsequent to the transfer of ownership back in 2005 additional improvements have been made, including re painting all the structures about 2 yrs ago, re paving the parking lot, adding fencing, and walkway pavers as well as new lighting and a clock tower atop the Kings store.

KoalaNJ

Old 03-16-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
Actually again Researchmom, your information is incorrect. The property was sold by the original owner/developer in 2005, it is now owned by V-Fee Realty Inv. (I do not know the principal owners of that real estate investment co) The original owner was the owner and operator of the Foodtown supermarket that operated there for many years until the owner retired and moved away from the area. Kings took over the Foodtown store back in the early 90's. The whole shopping center was renovated around the time Kings came, and subsequent to the transfer of ownership back in 2005 additional improvements have been made, including re painting all the structures about 2 yrs ago, re paving the parking lot, adding fencing, and walkway pavers as well as new lighting and a clock tower atop the Kings store.

KoalaNJ
Improvements may have been made, half way. When the place looks neglected, column paint is chipping off, litter covered grass keeps my kids away, and garbage regularly overflows, I don't care what has been done. When people walk with their heads held up too high, they don't see the little problems that make all the difference when added up. Maybe I am too picky, I am from Europe.

Sorry Mr. Maoli, job not well kept up! I am sure the intentions were good, but where is the top notch upkeep?

V-FEE REALTY INVESTMENT LLC
85 ROXITICUS RD
FAR HILLS, NJ 07931

Quoting From Observer Tribune:

"01/26/2006

MENDHAM - Roxiticus Road resident Thomas Maoli, the new owner of the Mendham Village Shopping Center, says he will renovate the center as "the pinnacle of one of the most prestigious and affluent towns in the country."

Maoli, representing V Fee Realty Investment, LLC, purchased the shopping center on Dec. 20, he said. He declined to say the purchase price and the deed indicating the purchase price was not available.

He said he plans to spend several million dollars renovating the property with an equestrian motif.

"This should be a place that people want to go to walk from store to store doing all of their daily shopping," said Maoli. "It's a place where they meet neighbors. I want people to feel proud of being a part of the Mendham community."

A new lighting system and a new clock tower are some of the ideas he plans to share with the borough, Maoli said.

"I plan to work closely with them (officials) to make this happen," Maoli said.

The center was formerly owned by the Michas family and Maoli said they did wonders with the shopping center but "it's time for a change."

Maoli, a real estate investor and president of Flash Global Logistics in West Orange, owns other office parks and shopping centers. Among those, he owns the Kings Shopping Center on Powerville Road in Mountain Lakes and a market on Plainsboro Road, Princeton.

"The shopping center needs to be upgraded and I'm very privileged to have the opportunity," Maoli said."

Apologies to UrbanQuest for veering off from his main topic.

Last edited by ResearchMom; 03-16-2013 at 11:36 PM..

Old 03-17-2013, 09:47 AM

18 posts, read 40,265 times
Mendham. Mostly because it's 15-20 minutes from the nearest highway and there's no fast food restaurants.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:56 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,485,479 times
I'd say it's a tie between Mendham and Bernardsville.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:08 PM

4,427 posts, read 5,154,316 times
On paper here is the actual order of wealth, per capita
New Vernon $109,409
Far Hills $107,085
Mendham $85,742
Bernardsville $80,108

Beverly Hills $111,553
Tribeca $164,626 (#1)
Greenwich, CT $105,617
Laguna Beach $89,432
Boca Raton $57,949
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey