U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 04:58 PM

33 posts, read 216,806 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I've recently been offered a job in Saddle River, NJ. The salary is great, and the career opportunity is excellent for me. I'm a single 23 year old gay guy and I am moving to the area from Utah. I have several friends who live in Manhattan and love the city. I really want to be able to have easy access to Manhatan and be able to go out at night and be in NYC with my friends whenever I want.

My question is, is it possible to work in NJ and still have easy access to NYC? If so, where are some possible locations for me to look at living? Some places I've looked at are Jersey City and Hoboken. Do these citys provide easy access to Manhattan? If I lived in this area would the commute to Saddle River be bad if I worked M-F 9-5? What about the Bronx? Would that commute be bad?

I am really clueless about New Jersy. Any help you could provide would be great!!

Thank you!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 05:08 PM

687 posts, read 3,096,556 times
JC or Hoboken would be your best bet. You have quick access to the city via the PATH or ferry, and you'd be doing a reverse commute. Commuting from the Bronx to Saddle River would be hell.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:12 PM
ira

657 posts, read 3,749,768 times
Northern NJ is very accessible to Manhattan. Saddle River, however is not the best area for this type of commute because there are no trains that go to Saddle River.

Hoboken and Jersey City are great for young people and Manhattan is only 15 min away. Getting to Saddle River from Hoboken or Jersey City is not so easy. You would need a car and it would probably take you 1 hour + to get there. Even though it's a reverse commute, most major roads in Bergen County (especially Rt. 17) are a nightmare during rush hour.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:09 PM

16,826 posts, read 12,913,206 times
Going home would be bad during rush hour too. I used to live in Hoboken and work in Paterson. I left for work at 6 am, so no traffic, but I came home at 5 pm, and the tunnel traffic would always keep me from getting home in reasonable time.
If being near the city is important to you, it's worth it. If you live near the path station, you can be in Greenwich Village in 12 minutes.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:55 PM

515 posts, read 1,584,027 times
You might consider living in Allendale or Ramsey. While these are typical bedroom communities and not necessarily "hot spots" for singles, they are both very nice towns for everyday living. They each have nice town centers and are both short car rides to Saddle River.

Both towns also have train stations on the same train line which terminates in Hoboken. Then it's a quick ride on a ferry or the PATH to NYC. Buses are also available along Route 17 to the Port Authority bus terminal in mid-town Manhattan.

Alternatively, you can drive to NYC from here after work. It's only about 15 miles, but you'll surely hit some traffic at the George Washington Bridge or Lincoln Tunnel. Depending upon what time you go, there are times on the weekends that you can get into the city in an incredibly short amount of time. Coming back to the Saddle River area after a night in the city will be a relatively quick ride.

Mahwah is also an idea. You should be able to find a condo or apartment for rent in the area. Your new employer should be able to help you connect with a Realtor in order to find a place.

Hopefully you'll be able to make a trip to the Saddle River to really check out all the areas mentioned in this thread.

Good luck in your new position!

Old 10-25-2007, 09:55 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,983,786 times
Living in Hoboken or Jersey City -- yes, easy, very easy access to NYC. Not a problem at all. The only thing you have to look out for are PATH trains, ferry's, etc. and the hours they run. However, commuting to Saddle River can be tougher than most people think. Yes, it's a "reverse" commute, however that doesn't tell the entire story.

If you live in Hoboken or JC and are looking to get to Saddle River -- you can run into traffic that is either heading to the Lincoln Tunnel or the GW Bridge. Some may say that it might be slight, brief, no big deal, etc., but it could be more. You will not want to take the NJ TPK (to Rt. 80, Rt. 17, GSP) as you will hit a ton of traffic. Other or "local" routes -- for example, Hoboken to River Road (Weehawkin/Edgewater), access roads to Fairview, Cliffside, Fort Lee, etc. -- you can hit Lincoln Tunnel traffic first, then GWB traffic, etc. Once you clear the traffic -- yes, reverse commute on Rt. 4, heading west to Rt. 17 North, to Saddle River.

I think you should look at Fort Lee or Edgewater. Very nice living, especially if you can afford some of the higher-end buildings, complexes, etc. This will keep you very close to NYC and give you an almost perfect commute to Saddle River. If you live in Edgewater, you'll hit some GWB traffic but it's not anything serious. You can also take one of the access roads up to Fort Lee, not head toward the GWB and just head west. It's easy to get to Rt. 4 and you are on your way. Good luck. You'll enjoy the area very much. I've lived there for my entire adult life, until recently -- and I miss it everyday, LOL.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:44 PM

33 posts, read 216,806 times
Thanks for everyone's help! I will check out each of the area's when I'm there next week.

Wish me luck!

Old 10-26-2007, 08:25 PM
nsk

5 posts, read 21,587 times
Commuting from Hoboken/JC to Saddle River would be tough and I definitely would not recommend it. Fort Lee, Edgewater and areas between Fort Lee and Hoboken may be relatively better, but I still would say that the drive to Saddle River would be very tough.

I would recommend that you look into the possibility of parking your car in one of the NJ transit stations near Saddle River (Ramsey-Rt17) and living in Hoboken (direct trains on the Main/Bergen lines). The parking spots may be hard to get in some of these stations and you should check around to see where you could get a monthly permit. It is a very easy commute from Hoboken to Manhattan (10 minutes to the village).

If the ability to return late from the city is important (beyond 12 midnight), then living in Hoboken or Jersey city (with PATH trains) may be the only reasonable choice (assuming you can get the parking spot in one of the stations close to work - North of Ridgewood).

If you can live with coming back before 12 or 12:30, then living in Northern NJ is not so bad - I would advise that you check out Ridgewood as it is a really nice town with a large number of restaurants/cafes.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:08 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,983,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsk View Post
Commuting from Hoboken/JC to Saddle River would be tough and I definitely would not recommend it. Fort Lee, Edgewater and areas between Fort Lee and Hoboken may be relatively better, but I still would say that the drive to Saddle River would be very tough.

I would recommend that you look into the possibility of parking your car in one of the NJ transit stations near Saddle River (Ramsey-Rt17) and living in Hoboken (direct trains on the Main/Bergen lines). The parking spots may be hard to get in some of these stations and you should check around to see where you could get a monthly permit. It is a very easy commute from Hoboken to Manhattan (10 minutes to the village).

If the ability to return late from the city is important (beyond 12 midnight), then living in Hoboken or Jersey city (with PATH trains) may be the only reasonable choice (assuming you can get the parking spot in one of the stations close to work - North of Ridgewood).

If you can live with coming back before 12 or 12:30, then living in Northern NJ is not so bad - I would advise that you check out Ridgewood as it is a really nice town with a large number of restaurants/cafes.
The commute from Fort Lee to Saddle River is pretty easy. I did it for many years, up until recently. When you leave Fort Lee, you are really heading west, away and opposite from any GWB traffic. Rt. 4 west is a breeze, and I wouldn't go all the way to and take Rt. 17 to Saddle River. I'd get off at Forest Avenue and take that north, then jump on Rt. 17 north at Ridgewood Avenue. When you get on 17 you are getting on past (north of) all the retail, office buildings, Paramus commercial, etc.

As far as getting in and out of NYC, late night, he'll just have to worry about the ferry's and how late they run, or the Path -- although he'll have to drive back to Fort Lee.

Edgewater won't be that bad. Like I said, once he takes an access road up to Fort Lee, instead of heading north, he'll head west. I've taken that trip at least a few hundred times as I've had early morning meetings in Edgewater and then had to go to Saddle River, Paramus, etc. The River Road traffic heading north these days is much better since all the construction, and since they re-routed all the traffic patterns close to the GWB -- but you would never have to get that far. The access roads up to Fort Lee are not a problem. Anyway, all good advice -- and good luck.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:25 PM

10 posts, read 88,304 times
We use to live in Manhattan until my partner got a job in Woodcliff Lake NJ. We were thinking of Hoboken because I work in the city but traffic for him getting into Hoboken would be awful. We decided to move to Englewood I take the bus into the city in just 30min I am in Port Authority. Englewood to the GW bridge is about 10minutes or less depending on traffic.

You should drive back from where you will be working and you will see that traffic is bad heading into the city after work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey