Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 03:45 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,408,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norhjerseygirl View Post
I upped and moved to Hawaii from Bergen County 1 year ago and it was so worth it. Oh yeah it's paradise but it's not, in my ridiculously expensive neighborhood (on Oahu) you have ugly rat-trap homes (more ugly than pretty), so expensive (I could cry) groceries, reverse discrimination and gigantor roaches. It is beautiful, my property taxes on my 740k 3b/1.5ba are about 2k. I do not need AC or heat. Open louvered windows with single wall construction (you hear every car noise, neighbors breathing, etc). Bottom line there is an upside and down side to everything. I equally hate it and love it at the same time. I still love NJ because it does have everything. People did say we were/are crazy but people love to dis your move(s) especially when they're stuck or have no brass in them to accomplish this. It (moving) is very difficult (everything is new and that novelty wears off quickly). We came with no jobs (but a little pocket change). We got lucky but it is wayyyy too expensive. A little house for a lot of money, now I'm talkin. Good job opportunities (they run out of people on an island). People are still betting we come back with our tails between our legs -- it's part of the reason we went so very far, so we'd have a tough time running home to NJ. Missing bagels and pizza like nobody's business (also ravioli, trader joe's and killer shopping). We kept this plan a secret from all our friends while we plotted and planned because the naysayers love telling you how many people they know who moved back from the Carolina's, etc. About how awful the heat is in Florida or how unhappy people are who tried Hawaii. Opinions everyone's got 'em. That is the nature of the beast (human) as is the wanderlust. No regrets but I may wind up somewhere else someday, who knows...
You have set a city-data record for the highest amount of parenthesis' in one post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 12:34 AM

40 posts, read 154,121 times
I moved to Charlotte, NC from New Jersey and love it! All of my family are now moving here. Growing economy and for two hundred thousand dollars you can buy a big beautiful home. Try doing that ANYWHERE in NJ.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:56 PM

685 posts, read 112,445 times
From what I have read on other threads, a majority of you will be back

Old 10-30-2007, 03:48 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,718,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMoon View Post
From what I have read on other threads, a majority of you will be back
How can you possibly substantiate that claim? What makes you think that most people would even consider moving back to NJ? There are plenty of people moving from NJ to NC, then to other states. Why would you automatically assume that the "majority" be going back to NJ???
You just can't make a blanket statement like that, IMO

Old 10-30-2007, 05:44 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times
Firemoon, It sure seems that way. Thats a 50/50 ratio it seems like. Check some of the threads out about people wanting to leave and go back to New York, Jersey and the other states that they left. Wouldn't you think they would do a little research before they moved to their so called Nirvana.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:02 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Firemoon, It sure seems that way. Thats a 50/50 ratio it seems like. Check some of the threads out about people wanting to leave and go back to New York, Jersey and the other states that they left. Wouldn't you think they would do a little research before they moved to their so called Nirvana.
If you look at the number of people moving to NC to NJ, and vice versa reported in any official numbers, I doubt very highly that you'll find anywhere close to 50% of the number going to NJ that you find heading from NJ to NC. I'd be willing to bet that the number is more like 5%, if that. Maybe if you look at the number of people who want to move back to NJ from NC (but haven't or won't) you'd find your 50% number, but I don't think you'd find that either.

You're taking the isolated incidents of some people on an internet forum (maybe a few hundred who have moved from NJ to NC??), and applying what you're reading to the entire group of folks that have relocated. I don't think that's really a representative sample by any stretch.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:43 PM

244 posts, read 1,050,657 times
While we have been researching moving to Charlotte way before it become the it thing to do, (and circumstances are closing in that we will be doing this sooner rather than later), I wouldn't think to bash the state I was born and raised in.

I think that is what bothers me, is when people seem to need to bash NJ as they move out of it. It's almost like they need justification for leaving and NJ needs to be the "evil".

I love where I live in NJ, I live in Monmouth County. We have beautiful parks, and we have fun apple and pumpkin picking. Our foliage is gorgeous. I'm close to the beach. And on and on.

There are reasons that dictate we must move to another area, and my DH has a job relocation, so we are set with that. I look forward to the new place I'll live, and I've done as much preparing as I could. But me moving to a new state, does not mean NJ isn't a wonderful place also.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:07 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times
Well said Summer, enjoy your move and please live up to your words. I agree with you that many posters like to rub it in the faces of the 8 million New Jerseyans when they move. More power to people that can up and move, but they shouldn't try to make everyone else that stays behind and likes it here feel that they are knuckleheads. Enjoy your journey.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:26 PM

100 posts, read 425,843 times
We left philly and new jersey 12 yrs ago . Moved to Orlando hubby has a great job down here live 10 mins from Disney go to Epcot for a cup of coffee. lol We never looked back Now were thinking of retireing to Ga .Looking into Canton and Cumming area .Doing all our homework .But I feel every area has it good and bad just gotta be careful . just my 2 cents

Old 10-31-2007, 04:31 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
People who left NJ to other states, know a bunch went to AZ, are not coming back. That is an absurd statement. Do you think all people who took early pensions (retirement) and those who retired on time will move back to NJ. They can't possilbly afford it. Even those retirement communities they wont touch. Now as for the working they could move back, or maybe they wish they could. No sane retired person unless loaded want to be in NJ and own property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey