Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 11:49 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,681,416 times

Advertisements

Measles present in Somerset County | NJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 11:52 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Hmm. Wonder how it got here; I never thought of NJ as a hotbed of anti-vaccination sentiment.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:15 PM

32,920 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Hmm. Wonder how it got here; I never thought of NJ as a hotbed of anti-vaccination sentiment.
I wouldn't think so. Children don't get an MMR or MMRV until 12 to 15 months of age. Religious exemptions are accepted by school districts. There may be some who home school just to get around that. Some of the immigrant population hasn't been properly vaccinated. Vaccines aren't 100 per cent effective.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:48 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,681,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Vaccines aren't 100 per cent effective.
Absolutely which is why herd immunity is so important and that's beginning to break down with all the people not vaccinating their children in this very global society in which we all live. Puts the children and adults whose vaccines were either not effective or who no longer have high enough antibodies to fight the virus. This is one of those vaccines that's supposed to have an extremely long immunity period though with adults rarely needing a booster. I read that people who were vaccinated in the late 60's and early 70's should have titers checked because the vaccine was not potent enough for longer lasting immunity back then. Check your titers people - better safe than sorry and I have a feeling these outbreaks are going to become a more common occurrence as the years go on.

On a similar subject, there was a recent study that strongly connected autism with mothers who had the flu or high fevers during pregnancy which is one of those sweet irony moments. Those that are convinced that vaccines are horrible and cause autism among other things should actually get the flu vaccine when pregnant to try and prevent this disease in their unborn children (it's always been recommended since the flu has a strong correlation with miscarriages but there are those who strongly believe all vaccines are harmful and refuse them). Vaccines that could potentially prevent autism - that's what I call sweet irony.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:44 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
Absolutely which is why herd immunity is so important and that's beginning to break down with all the people not vaccinating their children in this very global society in which we all live. Puts the children and adults whose vaccines were either not effective or who no longer have high enough antibodies to fight the virus. This is one of those vaccines that's supposed to have an extremely long immunity period though with adults rarely needing a booster. I read that people who were vaccinated in the late 60's and early 70's should have titers checked because the vaccine was not potent enough for longer lasting immunity back then. Check your titers people - better safe than sorry and I have a feeling these outbreaks are going to become a more common occurrence as the years go on.

On a similar subject, there was a recent study that strongly connected autism with mothers who had the flu or high fevers during pregnancy which is one of those sweet irony moments. Those that are convinced that vaccines are horrible and cause autism among other things should actually get the flu vaccine when pregnant to try and prevent this disease in their unborn children (it's always been recommended since the flu has a strong correlation with miscarriages but there are those who strongly believe all vaccines are harmful and refuse them). Vaccines that could potentially prevent autism - that's what I call sweet irony.

I totally agree. I just read yesterday how those vaccinated in the late 60's may not be immune. I need to have my titers checked - thanks for the info!

Old 03-18-2013, 04:33 PM

32,920 posts, read 36,316,341 times
It was 1963 to 1967.

"Atypical measles occurs only in persons who received inactivated (“killedâ€) measles vaccine (KMV) and are subsequently exposed to wild-type measles virus. An estimated 600,000 to 900,000 persons received KMV in the United States from 1963 to 1967. KMV sensitizes the recipient to measles virus antigens without providing protection."

CDC - Pinkbook: Measles Chapter - Epidemiology of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases

Old 03-18-2013, 05:46 PM

16,910 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post

What study would that be? I find that very hard to believe, especially considering the fact that human influenza does not cross the placenta. So if that is true, which I doubt, it means that the mother's reaction to the virus is what can cause autism. So ironically, if true, the mother's immune response to the vaccine could cause autism, because the virus itself cannot. The only other explanation is that severe reaction to influenza can cause autism, but the milder reaction to the vaccine will not. In that case, it would be hard to draw the line. But at the end of the day, I'm thinking this un-sourced study is a bunch of nonsense. Influenza has been around for centuries. If this had any truth to it we would see autism (or reports of what we would consider autism today) to spike during periods of severe flu activity such as 1918, but we don't. So... I am highly skeptical of this association.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:58 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It was 1963 to 1967.

"Atypical measles occurs only in persons who received inactivated (“killed”) measles vaccine (KMV) and are subsequently exposed to wild-type measles virus. An estimated 600,000 to 900,000 persons received KMV in the United States from 1963 to 1967. KMV sensitizes the recipient to measles virus antigens without providing protection."

CDC - Pinkbook: Measles Chapter - Epidemiology of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases
I was born in 67 so I don't know if I got it in 67 or 68.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:56 AM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
What study would that be? I find that very hard to believe, especially considering the fact that human influenza does not cross the placenta. So if that is true, which I doubt, it means that the mother's reaction to the virus is what can cause autism. So ironically, if true, the mother's immune response to the vaccine could cause autism, because the virus itself cannot. The only other explanation is that severe reaction to influenza can cause autism, but the milder reaction to the vaccine will not. In that case, it would be hard to draw the line. But at the end of the day, I'm thinking this un-sourced study is a bunch of nonsense. Influenza has been around for centuries. If this had any truth to it we would see autism (or reports of what we would consider autism today) to spike during periods of severe flu activity such as 1918, but we don't. So... I am highly skeptical of this association.
It doesn't have to be the virus that causes damage, it's possible it's the fever and rise in body temperature...

Old 03-19-2013, 08:27 AM

328 posts, read 1,049,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
^^ Yes to that. If the flu could cause autism, why is the rate of autism rising even though more pregnant women are getting the flu shot?? I don't think the flu shot causes autism but we should see the rates of autism going down since more and more pregnant women get the flu shot. Autism was almost unheard of decades ago before anyone really ever got the flu shot. So that theory makes no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey