U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 09:38 AM

28 posts, read 91,741 times

Advertisements

I am looking into the condos at Harbor Club in Parlin and just wanted any feedback from anyone who lives or has lived here?

Anything positive / negative to say about the place? Good place to live? Any comments on the association there?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 01:11 PM

Bump please

Old 04-02-2013, 01:20 PM

There has got to be a person with some feedback? Bump please.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:33 AM

43 posts, read 85,610 times
Did you move yet? Give some more info? Rent or own? $How much do you want to pay, kids, commuting for work or local? Car or no car. In general the area is pretty safe. You know you always have the occasional car theft, but no big problems in Parlin,nj. Harbor Club is technically in Parlin, but the town is Sayreville. Parlin also has a section which is consider Old Bridge, NJ, also safe.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:26 PM

1,247 posts, read 2,859,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole T View Post
Did you move yet? Give some more info? Rent or own? $How much do you want to pay, kids, commuting for work or local? Car or no car. In general the area is pretty safe. You know you always have the occasional car theft, but no big problems in Parlin,nj. Harbor Club is technically in Parlin, but the town is Sayreville. Parlin also has a section which is consider Old Bridge, NJ, also safe.
Sorry I can't give any information on Harbor Club specifically, but I once pulled in there to make a U-Turn and it appeared to be very clean and quiet. Don't know about any association fees.

Parlin has always been a section of Sayreville. Parts of Old Bridge such as Madison Park and maybe a few apartment complexes along Rt 9 just south of Ernston Rd uses that zip code, but Old Bridge is full of zip codes from all of its neighboring towns including Matawan, South Amboy and Englishtown.

The area in general is pretty safe. Sayreville has a lot of problems, but most of the crime is on the other side of Rt 9, specifically apartment complexes like Winding Wood and Lakeview, which have gotten all the section 8 from the New Brunswick projects that were razed back in the late 1990s, but as long as you stay away from those areas you will be fine. The school system has seen better days, and while not terrible, is currently the lowest performing suburban district in the area. The "close-knit" community feel of Sayreville is still alive and well there, it's still a family oriented town and the "biggest small town in America" is still an appropriate description for it, but I'd be skeptical about making an investment there until there is some sign of improvement, at least in the school system.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:07 AM

6 posts, read 28,818 times
I have plenty to say about harbour club as we have lived here for 4 years and I could not wait to get out before we moved in. We rented a beautiful unit that backs up to woods but you can see and hear parkway especially in fall and winter. There also are 2 registered sex offenders in complex. Our neighbors are wonderful. If you have children, there really is NO common area besides pool for children to play ball or run around. I have seen a lot of units up for sale in last few months as we are leaving this weekend and I could not look forward to that anymore than I have for last 4/5 years here. It always seemed like a safe place but there has been a lot of police activity in last few weeks and many cars have been vandalized over last few months. Condo association is as useless as a wallflower but I must say the now lawn every other day practically but if u walk on grass, bring a lot of bug spray bc u will get eaten alive. Wasps are everywhere and the units were made in 86 and made like a piece of $hit. Windows are absolutely awful and gutters are never ever cleaned. Water comes right into unit. We love on top unit with a 30 foot ceiling. It gets VERY warm during summer and your electric bill will be astronomical. We also have had issues with carpet beetles since moved in which has been unsettling(due to fact that harbor club was build in86 on a landfill. Reconsider Camelot or La Mer if you are still considering Parlin. Good for commuting to NYC but in general it is trashy area. Oh, they also run the sprinklers every day and it is such a waste when you see how much water is spraying into the street or when it is raining out the sprinklers on. It is a waste of water and no one seems to care about that. Glad to be leaving now. Everything has begun to go too, ac unit, pipes bursting, kid's riding bikes that are fresh and may tell you to get the 'f' off their property. Yes, I wish I could tell you the pros but cons outweigh pros by a lot. Good luck. There is a good school system in town, I suppose. Good luck and please reconsider renting for a year to get a feel. Many units are up for sale bc they are junky and the complex has a diverse mix of younger and older people moving in. It has changed a real lot. Hope this helps.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:02 AM

1,247 posts, read 2,859,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceoutparlin View Post
There also are 2 registered sex offenders in complex.
I thought registered sex offenders are prohibited by law from living anywhere near a school. And meanwhile you have Eisenhower Elementary right across Ernston Rd.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:16 PM

Good point but look it up on sex offender database. It has been unnerving to say the Least when you are broken up by two detectives knocking on your door at 7 AM to tell you that there is a sex offender living in the building right next to you and show you his picture and give you his make and model of his vehicle.
Perhaps you nailed it and that is the exact problem w/ Parlin. They let trash mix with class and it brings the entire town to.....

I will not regret leaving in less than 24 hrs. Easy for commute but not good for sanity. Stuck b/w route 9 and 35. Strip club, strip club, strip club, kid clubs, bar, bar, liquor store bars and police that spend more time up at sky top than patrolling any other areas. It is sad.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:35 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,559,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
I thought registered sex offenders are prohibited by law from living anywhere near a school. And meanwhile you have Eisenhower Elementary right across Ernston Rd.
I think it depends on the severity of the crime. NJ has sex offender tiers. For example, an 16 year old who had consensual relations with a 15 year old would be considered low risk but a rape would obviously be high.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:45 AM

[url]https://www16.state.nj.us/LPS_spoff/findDriver[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey