Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 09:08 AM

908 posts, read 1,555,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
You totally are misunderstanding constitutional rights!!!!
This school is the one with the constitutional right to put anything they want in their curriculum! And what did they lie about? The OP'er operated on assumptions!
I don't know how they do things down south, but in NJ curriculum is public record. Any parent can hop on their school's website and review the curriculum.
The OP'er has no right to complain about what they teach, none whatsoever. They can very well choose to go somewhere else though, as they should!
Do I have a consitutional right to waltz into a mosque and declare "all ya'all better cut out this call to prayer nonsense, because it's not what *I* believe!"
Please. Your logic defies all common sense.
I am as liberal as they come. To each their own, and if ya don't like it... get to steppin'!
What law supports your claim? The Establishment Clause says different than your rhetoric. That law is for the ENTIRE COUNTRY!!! They can have it in their curriculum, but if the parent doesn't want it, they can't teach it to that particular child. They MUST provide an alternative!!!

Seriously? You bring up a mosque, a place of worship, and compare it to a school?
Since you brought it up, I know a parent who had their child in a private Muslim school in NJ. He was not Muslim. When the Muslim kids went to prayer, the child sat out, and was given free time. The only thing the parent had to abide by was the uniform. The father also had no problem letting his child sit in during Islamic History class, but opted out of the worship related classes. Whenever there was a religious ritual or lesson his child sat out, and was given an alternative assignment to avoid violating the non-Muslim family's constitutional rights. The MUSLIM school was very accommodating to their non-Muslim students. That's how its supposed to be done when you receive government funds!

I'm done arguing with you because you can't be reasoned with and provide nothing but rhetoric for your statements. You deny the Establishment Clause, and deny the child's constitutional rights, in preference to the schools. The constitution simply doesn't work that way. There is no, this guys rights trump yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUskoolie View Post
Where? Please quote from the Bible and say where it says that. Then I can expose you as a fraud and you'll leave the thread.

Colorfulchick what news should be watch that isn't biased? I'll wait for that genius response too. And ACLU? You are the exact reason this country's morals are being torn apart. You want to file a lawsuit for blessing food. If they taught the kid how to put a condom on a cucumber or that gay marraige is a right I'm sure you'd be fine with that. But please...tell me what news station to watch that isn't biased.
First of all, sex education requires a signature from a parent, and the lesson is clearly outlined. You can choose not to have your child learn about their body and how to stay safe when they do have sex. Statistically though, most teen pregnancies & STD cases are from UNEDUCATED kids.

As for gay marriage, I don't know of any school that teaches to take either side. You must have confused, treating gay people like humans and not trying to kill them, with promoting a political agenda. I live a very conservative life(more conservatives than most of those who CLAIM to be conservative), but I don't try to push my life style & beliefs on others, just as I don't want anyone pushing their lifestyle & beliefs on me. Teaching children to respect people's differences, and wanting equal rights for all is NOT what's ruining America.

As for news stations, I don't care for most of the mainstream media outlets. I prefer to listen to individuals rather than support entire news entities. That being said, Fox has the LEAST journalistic integrity of all. They are propagandist, fear-mongering, and hate-filled in most of what they do.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:37 AM

27 posts, read 66,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieM View Post

Parents have to stop expecting the world to parent for them. OP, instead of risking your families financial health to run away from this relatively minor exposure to religion, maybe it's time to open an age appropriate dialogue with your child. When he blesses his food, ask him over the dinner WHY he does that. What does it mean to him? Then talk a bit about how many people hold different religious beliefs, and give your wife's background as an example. Remember though, this is not a lecture, this is the very beginning of a lifetime conversation, to teach your son NOT about religion, but about absorbing information from the world around him, teaching him critical thinking skills, and teaching him to think about WHAT he believes, WHY he believes it, and what he should do with/about that belief.
While I agree with you to a certain extent, the level of maturity (on the child's part) needed for this type of discussion comes at a much later time in development. A middle school or high school kid? Yes, fine. But a preschool or elementary school??? No way. Children who have a healthy level of respect for their teachers take what they say (and do) at face value. It is truth to them. I'm not saying that you should only have teachers that share the same faith as you....not the case. It should just be a non-issue in my opinion. If you are enrolled in a public or government-funded program, religion should not even be an area of contention because it should NOT be a part of the curriculum. It is not lazy parenting to want to teach faith in your own home, or to expect a teacher or school curriculum to respect individual positions on religion. Separation of church and state is completely possible.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:39 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Just to give everyone some background on the modern Supreme Court interpretation of Separation of Church & State, especially as it applies to schools, I suggest viewing this video:

Watch "The Lord is Not on Trial Here Today" For a Limited Time | BillMoyers.com

Just be aware that it will be removed from Bill Moyers' website after today, so you do need to view it NOW if you wish to see it.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:43 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferissp View Post
We are a young white collar family who moved from Cherry Hill, NJ to The Outer Banks around 5 years ago. We were tired of the traffic, attitude, and small property lots in NJ. We also wanted to live near the beach, further our careers, etc.

I'm posting here because while I live in NC, we have not really assimilated very well and I need to know if I'm overreacting....who better to ask than my fellow NJers?

We had a difficult time finding a non-religious daycare for our child. We finally found one that received state funding (which we thought meant they had to be non denomonational) wasn't in a church, and had no mention of religion on their website or on the classroom walls. Our son attended for around 6 months. Recently he came home and blessed his lunch. We were extremely upset and we were told that as a private business they can do what they like (by the preschool admin) despite receiving government funding. I was also told that a little religion never hurt anyone.

My wife and I are extremely upset by this. We had planned on moving in 2 years to further our careers. That being said, the only preschools that accept families above the poverty line locally are religious preschools and our son is set to start in September at a Presbyterian church. We had thought we could live with a small amount of religion for a year before public school but this has shown us that we can not. It has also shown us that in public school, religion has seeped in and arguing against it would be an unwinnable fight.

My wife is 6 mos pregnant, we might break-even on our house (less our down payment) but may lose money with realtor fees. We are strongly considering moving despite those factors. Finding another job is very easy so that is a non factor (in fact we will make significantly more in another area).

I'd like opinions on if this is an overreaction. My wife is a non-temple-going Jew. We do practice most of the holidays and celebrations more for tradition and less for the religious aspects (although in Judiasm they can be one in the same). We are generally against teaching original sin, worship, shame, etc to our children.

Please! Without arguing the merits of each individual religion, can some level headed individuals please let me know their thoughts? If you are Christian, imagine if your child came home and was told that the world was not created in 7 days or that Jesus was not god's son. If you are a Muslim, imagine if they came home and said a prayer for the holy trinity. What would be your reaction? Would you feel that your child had been violated? Would you move to find an area more inline with your beliefs?
As a former NJ resident where public schools are among the best in the US I am surprised you relocated to NC with young children.

We moved to NC for some of the same reasons you did, less crowds, lower taxes etc. etc.. but we are retired and non religious.

I can't give you any advice about schooling because there is no solution to the education system in NC.

If I were you I would move back to NJ, send your kids to NJ schools and when it comes time to retire head back down South for the lower housing and property taxes.

While we like NC and would never move back to NJ we are glad our grand kids are being educated up North.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Just to give everyone some background on the modern Supreme Court interpretation of Separation of Church & State, especially as it applies to schools, I suggest viewing this video:

Watch "The Lord is Not on Trial Here Today" For a Limited Time | BillMoyers.com

Just be aware that it will be removed from Bill Moyers' website after today, so you do need to view it NOW if you wish to see it.

Listen to Moyers a lot! Wouldn't let me rep you, but thanks for the link!

Old 03-20-2013, 10:19 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
OP, when my kids were ready for nursery school in Bergen County NJ, there wasn't much available beyond church run programs. All three ended up in a Lutheran school, based on reviews from parents who were happy overall. It wasn't our faith, but I assure, 16 years later, not one of them remembers the words to " Jesus Loves Me". On the other hand, I do, having heard it enough.

We moved to GA from NJ with kids in public middle school and high school. There have been instances of in your face Christianity that upset me. The baseball coach wasn't content to lead the team in a prayer, he introduced the varsity squad by not just naming their position, but their church background. It didn't bother my son at all, so I didn't make a big deal out of it, although the coach did end up losing his job because other parents complained about his constant preaching.

My point is, things are indeed different here, but most people will back off if you give them them the message you aren't interested. And, you children will forget the blessing if it isn't reinforced at home. If you are otherwise happy with the program, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:57 PM

861 posts, read 2,718,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfulchic83 View Post
what law supports your claim? The establishment clause says different than your rhetoric. That law is for the entire country!!! They can have it in their curriculum, but if the parent doesn't want it, they can't teach it to that particular child. They must provide an alternative!!!

Seriously? You bring up a mosque, a place of worship, and compare it to a school?
Since you brought it up, i know a parent who had their child in a private muslim school in nj. He was not muslim. When the muslim kids went to prayer, the child sat out, and was given free time. The only thing the parent had to abide by was the uniform. The father also had no problem letting his child sit in during islamic history class, but opted out of the worship related classes. Whenever there was a religious ritual or lesson his child sat out, and was given an alternative assignment to avoid violating the non-muslim family's constitutional rights. The muslim school was very accommodating to their non-muslim students. That's how its supposed to be done when you receive government funds!

I'm done arguing with you because you can't be reasoned with and provide nothing but rhetoric for your statements. You deny the establishment clause, and deny the child's constitutional rights, in preference to the schools. The constitution simply doesn't work that way. There is no, this guys rights trump yours.
The child is not in public school!!!!
None of this applies!!!
If the family disagrees with how a PRIVATE school teaches, they are free to go elsewhere!
The PRIVATE school does NOT need to change for them!!

Old 03-20-2013, 01:15 PM

116 posts, read 238,866 times
Quote:
First of all, sex education requires a signature from a parent, and the lesson is clearly outlined.
Wrong. Maybe in your world it is like that but where I grew up that certainly wasn't and still isn't the case.

Quote:
Statistically though, most teen pregnancies & STD cases are from UNEDUCATED kids.
Link to said stats? Funny because teen pregnancies have risen over the decades, despite passing out condoms and morning after pills like M&Ms. I'm sure that doesn't give a kid incentive to have sex Oh and funny that in NYC they wanted to give out morning after pills without consent from the parent? I thought sex ed requires consent according to you? Here is a link http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/24/13-new-york-city-schools-provide-morning-after-pills-to-teens/?test=latestnews Incase you throw a tempertantrum that I linked a story from Fox News, here is the same one from the Washington Times http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/feb/3/nyc-schools-hand-out-12721-morning-after-pills/

Quote:
As for gay marriage, I don't know of any school that teaches to take either side. You must have confused, treating gay people like humans and not trying to kill them, with promoting a political agenda. Teaching children to respect people's differences, and wanting equal rights for all is NOT what's ruining America.
Please show what school in the US is trying to kill gay people?

Quote:
As for news stations, I don't care for most of the mainstream media outlets. I prefer to listen to individuals rather than support entire news entities. That being said, Fox has the LEAST journalistic integrity of all. They are propagandist, fear-mongering, and hate-filled in most of what they do.
So what individuals should I listen to so I can be as well informed as you are? Oh and here is a link speaking about your argument for journalistic integrity. 85% of MSNBC is opinion. 15% factual based. MSNBC, Fox News Heavy On Opinion: Pew Study - Business Insider So yeah, while Fox is bad, they are not the worst as you claim. You are also wrong, you are the problem in America. You don't get your way you scream to the ACLU to strip away anything that you don't agree with. That isn't what this country was founded on. This is a Constitutional Republic, not a Democracy. Just because you don't like that I do something doesn't mean you should go find some scum lawyer to find a way to twist the law to suit your needs. That IS what is destroying our nation and Constitution.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:52 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUskoolie View Post
teen pregnancies have risen over the decades, despite passing out condoms and morning after pills like M&Ms.

Ummmm...no...

I thought sex ed requires consent according to you? In case you throw a tempertantrum that I linked a story from Fox News, here is the same one from the Washington Times http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/feb/3/nyc-schools-hand-out-12721-morning-after-pills/
The Washington Times?
Really?
Are you aware that this newsrag is the mouthpiece for Reverend Sun Myung Moon's Unification Church--the church that organizes mass weddings of zombie-like people who have never previously met their new church-selected mates?

If that is your idea of a reputable news source, then I guess that we have little to discuss, other than the reality that the rate of teen pregnancy has actually dropped over 40% since the '90s.

For a reality check, please take a look at the following:

U.S. Teen Pregnancy Rate Continues to Fall - US News and World Report

U.S. teen pregnancy rates at an all-time low across all ethnicities - HealthPop - CBS News

The Washington Times - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey