Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 01:58 PM

516 posts, read 1,005,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newport_renter View Post
Thank you all for the comments. Some of you have raised some good points. The strategy clearly has some risks. I am wondering though why there is not a single poster on this thread who has tried this either successfully or unsuccessfully. Are there no activist tenants in NJ?
Because what you're trying to do isn't being an "activist tenant", it's being a douchebag tenant. I don't think there's a single reader so far that has agreed Newport's actions to you is discrimination or illegal (what an activist tenant would fight). What we're telling you is, you sound like a bratty tenant with a sense of entitlement.

What we've all recommended is for you to try to negotiate the increase down, and if that doesn't work, either accept it or move out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 04:58 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
In NYC, no new buildings are ever subject to rent control/stabilization unless the developer takes certain tax breaks that require stabilization. Otherwise, all rent controlled/stabilized apartments in NYC were built before the 1970s. Jersey City's rent control laws are more strict and at least in theory apply to some new development (though no new development would ever happen that would be subject to rent control because developers won't build if they know the building will be subject to rent control).
Ah, I work in the industry but am not high up enough to know some of these factoids.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:16 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
They've all been evicted and no longer have internet access.
You posted the exact same thoughts that I had going through my head!
That just serves me right for going out of the house for a few hours and not paying attention to this thread.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:05 AM

8 posts, read 36,894 times
My post has evoked very strong emotions in some (but not all) of you..i hope you realize you are giving your identity away

Old 03-25-2013, 09:29 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
From a homeowner who's been paying high taxes for years and hasn't had a child in the NJ school system for over 12 years...boo hoo. Don't like it, then move out.

Remember homeowners have no recourse and Christie's 2% max was all smoke and mirrors.
sh** i paid taxes 12 years BEFORE I had kids and in 3 yrs I'll be paying again with no kids in the system (no I'm not moving south ). then again, it costs ~$15K a year per kid so I'm not sure I'll ever pay my tab in full.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:18 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,830 times
Quote:
My post has evoked very strong emotions in some (but not all) of you..i hope you realize you are giving your identity away

Oh, I think it was much more revealing about YOU.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:30 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
I'm not quite sure what you meant with that remark, but I am going to guess that you think that anyone who disagrees with you is a landlord.
Am I correct?

If that was your intent, please let me assure you that I am not a landlord, nor do I ever wish to be one--simply because of the types of tenants that landlords frequently have to deal with. You know...the types of tenants who damage property, who make too much noise, who try to skip out on rent, who think that everyone is trying to cheat them...

Trust me...I can think of much easier ways to make money than by being a landlord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Oh, I think it was much more revealing about YOU.

Absolutely!

Old 03-26-2013, 01:12 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Quote:
I'm a landlord. I own one rental property. My in-laws are landlords and own several properties. A good friend of mine is a landlord and owns dozens of properties and it's his livelihood. I gave you pretty balanced advice in this thread and if you look through my posting history, I often try to help out tenants in tough situations or those who don't know what their rights are. Just like there are good tenants and bad tenants, there are good landlords and bad landlords. I try to be a "good" landlord and that means following the laws and treating my rental as the business it is.

I don't agree with what you are thinking of doing because it's not being an activist and you aren't being wronged. Renting is a business and people are going to charge whatever rate the market will bear for their product. The laws against "unconscionable increase" are to protect tenants against a landlord deciding to be punitive and force them out of the house. NJ is one of the most tenant friendly states in the country and there are plenty of cases of "unconscionable increase" that have been decided in the tenants favor. However, your situation in no way really fits into that definition. Hence, why I told you what the process was while strongly advising you not to pursue it. Ultimately, if you can find a comparable place for less then what the proposed rent is on your current place, then you should move. That's your right, no one is forcing you to stay, just like no one can force a landlord to rent you a property for what you think is fair if they can get more money on the open market.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:22 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
bottom line:

complaining about property taxes = good
complaining about rent increase = bad

Old 03-27-2013, 06:39 AM

133 posts, read 311,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
bottom line:

complaining about property taxes = good
complaining about rent increase = bad

That makes no sense since NJ considers 18% of what you pay in rent as property taxes and even let's you claim it as such on your personal income taxes. That money is all going to the same place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey