Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 09:45 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
What does this have to do with finding the best place to buy K cups?
Look at the post I responded to who said that K-Cups make less waste than plastic water bottles. Both add to landfills.

I'll ask again, why not just buy ground coffee and use the refillable cup?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 11:40 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
A guy I work with got a Keurig machine for his office from his wife for his birthday. He constantly complained about the price of the cups and it was leading him to not use it. He switched to the re-usable cups and never looked back. That is easily the cheapest way to go and gives you access to every kind of coffee imaginable, not just whatever K-cups are available. There are a lot of reasonably priced, yet really good coffee's out there if you buy the beans by the bag. I get my coffee at BJ's and then grind a weeks worth at a time and keep it in a container in the fridge. It takes all of 5 minutes a week and costs next to nothing compared to buying your coffee out, using K-cups, etc.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:27 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,145,323 times
I read that if you buy regular canned coffee from the supermarket and put it in the re-usable cup, sometimes it causes coffee grounds to end up in your cup because apparently canned coffee is ground too finely compared to what is in the K-cup. Has anyone else noticed this? Also, does the re-usable cup come with all the Keurig machines or do you need to buy it separately? I'm thinking of getting the B60/K65 model.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:34 PM

I got a reusable cup with my Keurig. I've never bought K-Cups, I only use the reusable cup. I find I use less coffee this way than I did making it by the pot. I don't buy canned coffee, I get it ground to order by the bag and get a coarser grind.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:37 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I read that if you buy regular canned coffee from the supermarket and put it in the re-usable cup, sometimes it causes coffee grounds to end up in your cup because apparently canned coffee is ground too finely compared to what is in the K-cup. Has anyone else noticed this? Also, does the re-usable cup come with all the Keurig machines or do you need to buy it separately? I'm thinking of getting the B60/K65 model.
The machine that the guy I work with got did not come with a re-usable cup. He bought his at a store. Store bought canned coffee is finely ground for use in something like a Mr. Coffee with a paper filter, so I could see that being an issue in a Keurig. What you need to buy are bags of beans and then grind them to the consistency you need. All supermarkets (even the warehouse clubs) that sell bags of coffee beans have grinders that you can set to whatever kind of grind you want. The other option is to just buy a grinder (they are pretty cheap) and grind them the way you want them. I grind mine myself as the coffee is fresher and tastes better. I grind enough to last me a week and keep it in an airtight can in the regrigerator. The grinder I have is pretty basic and you basically count off the seconds for different grinds per the manual.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:44 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,290,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Amazon has plenty of variety and some good prices.

If you're not into fancy blends, flavors, Coscto's Kirkland Breakfast blend is good, 100 cups for $37.99.
Biggest downfall to the K cup brewer is the price of the k cups.
The reusable cups are not cheap either but it's a one time purchase.
I keep them around just in case I run out of K cups as I fine them a real PITA.
I'll certainly try the Costco/Kirkland Breakfast Blend -- and I hope I like it. That's a pretty good deal. I don't mind the price of the K-Cups as going to DD or Starbucks is a more expensive and time consuming proposition. If they are between $.25 and $.50 I am OK with that. Even a bit more. Thanks again for the heads up.

I bought the reusable cup, I just haven't gotten around to trying it, buying ground coffee, etc. I am more of a "convenience" guy, LOL. Thanks again.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:48 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,290,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
If you go to Bed Bath & Beyond, they will accept their 20% off coupons even after the expiration date. I have used coupons even 2 years after the expiration date! So I tend to stock up on the coupons, and ask friends, co-workers, and relatives to save them for me.
I'll have to start hoarding them, LOL. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:05 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,747,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Look at the post I responded to who said that K-Cups make less waste than plastic water bottles. Both add to landfills.

I'll ask again, why not just buy ground coffee and use the refillable cup?
The reason most people use the keurig is for convenience, besides good tasting coffee. It's perfectly okay to use the refillable cup to make coffee, but if you're going to do it all the time, then why spend so much money on a keurig when a regular coffee pot will do?

Also, there are little tiny filters made for the refillable cups; shop rite has them and BBB also has a package of filters. It makes cleaning out and reusing those tiny cups so much easier!! Yes, you can compost those paper filters.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
The reason most people use the keurig is for convenience, besides good tasting coffee. It's perfectly okay to use the refillable cup to make coffee, but if you're going to do it all the time, then why spend so much money on a keurig when a regular coffee pot will do?

Also, there are little tiny filters made for the refillable cups; shop rite has them and BBB also has a package of filters. It makes cleaning out and reusing those tiny cups so much easier!! Yes, you can compost those paper filters.
I"m the only coffee drinker in my house, and usually only have a cup a day. I use far less coffee in the Keurig than I did in the coffee maker. I also use loose tea in the refillable cup (I bought a second for that) to avoid putting tea bags in the landfill.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:27 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,343,499 times
I alternate between keurig.com (if you join, you will get free shipping and earn points -- I also got a coffeemaker for half price) and amazon.com

Amazon sometimes has good deals. If not, i go back to keurig (who has the most selection).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: