Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 11:57 AM

198 posts, read 468,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedus View Post
That "general" mortgage guideline is an artifact of the real estate industry. Even if it was true in the past, living expenses and taxes have gone up, and that leaves less income available for housing. Everyone must do their own calculations of what they can afford and ignore such guidelines. I believe the OP when he says that he cannot afford a $350K house.

My advice: rent and save until there is a real correction on prices when rates go up. Or move to a different city as housing is expensive here. You will get a better run for your money if you can find a job elsewhere.
I think it's still a reasonable guideline, and it does assume he has some cash savings for a reasonable down payment. If he takes a loan payment of $280,000, he should be able to get a mortgage that puts his monthly housing expenses close to 1/3 of yearly income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 11:58 AM

116 posts, read 238,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
NJ is not for the faint of heart. Very expensive. How about buying a condo or townhome for your first home?
Yeah we are going to consider that. I don't mind putting work into a home at all, I know you have to.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:31 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,755 times
Another option is to buy in a town that has a lousy reputation and correspondingly lower property values. Most, maybe all such towns have at least one nice neighborhood. As long as you don't have to deal with the public schools, there are some great homes in places like Plainfield or Passaic, or even Newark.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:21 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,323,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUskoolie View Post
Yeah we are going to consider that. I don't mind putting work into a home at all, I know you have to.
My sister just bought a real nice towhome on the water in Palm Beach County, FL. 2bd/2ba with a loft. Really nice place for a lot less than your budget. Property taxes are under $3k a year...I ask myself everyday, "why am I still in NJ?"

Old 03-26-2013, 01:22 PM

208 posts, read 545,223 times
I don't get the comments to the OP about downsizing...since when is 3br/1.5 ba a "huge" house?

Old 03-26-2013, 01:29 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taha-nj View Post
I don't get the comments to the OP about downsizing...since when is 3br/1.5 ba a "huge" house?
you cant get much less than 1.5 bathrooms and 3 bedrooms is nice to have if you have a kid and want a guest room. im sure you could get that in a townhome for 350k somewhere in his search zone.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:37 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
I also make 100k,and I am also having a difficult time finding something affordable in North Jersey.
I only wanted spend max 150,000 on a 3 bedroom,1 bath.
I'm strongly considering South Jersey,with its cheaper property taxes,particularly Burlington and camden counties.

350,000 seems way out the price range for someone making 100,000.
I've always read only 1 to 1.5x your income.

Have you considered short sales and foreclosures?

I just noyiced something..if its just you and your spouse,why not a 2 bedroom?

Old 03-26-2013, 02:44 PM

256 posts, read 573,061 times
I just did a Trulia search to test my theory.

I found a 3 bedroom 1.5 bath townhouse listed in Summit (fantastic school district and in your zone). Finished basement AND 1 car garage. Wood floors and some stainless. 325k. A co-op (some drawacks to that) but also 3BR and 1.5 bath in Summit at 239k.

In Westfield (similar) I found a 3 BR 2.5 townhouse with a garage and basement for 329k.

In Cranford (again) found a 4BR, 2 bath home that needs some updating for 320k.

If you could live without a half bath, I found a 3 bedroom condo in gated Society Hill in JC. 299k. A 3BR 1.5 bath end unit, wood and stainless, 349k.

I also saw a lot of places in West Orange, townhouses.

Now that's looking at places with "name". I could easily look in a more middle class place. In Piscataway (assuming you're familiar with RU based on your handle) just go behind the stadium to Society Hill or other condo complexes and there will be a ton of places in that price range.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:37 PM

526 posts, read 2,068,821 times
A 4 bed, 2 bath home in Cranford for $320k? Two words for you ... FLOOD ZONE. Anyway, I feel your pain, OP. It is not easy to find a nice starter home in a good area anywhere near NY in NJ. Like others have mentioned, I would go the townhouse route. I bought one in Westfield and was able to parlay it into a starter home here when I got married. Now I was single at the time, so a 2 bed, 1 bath was fine with me. But you could easily grab a 3 and 2 here with your budget. Yes, property taxes are high, but great schools and close proximity to NYC. May be worth exploring.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:42 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,012,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletKnightJet View Post
I just did a Trulia search to test my theory.

I found a 3 bedroom 1.5 bath townhouse listed in Summit (fantastic school district and in your zone). Finished basement AND 1 car garage. Wood floors and some stainless. 325k. A co-op (some drawacks to that) but also 3BR and 1.5 bath in Summit at 239k.

In Westfield (similar) I found a 3 BR 2.5 townhouse with a garage and basement for 329k.

In Cranford (again) found a 4BR, 2 bath home that needs some updating for 320k.

If you could live without a half bath, I found a 3 bedroom condo in gated Society Hill in JC. 299k. A 3BR 1.5 bath end unit, wood and stainless, 349k.

I also saw a lot of places in West Orange, townhouses.

Now that's looking at places with "name". I could easily look in a more middle class place. In Piscataway (assuming you're familiar with RU based on your handle) just go behind the stadium to Society Hill or other condo complexes and there will be a ton of places in that price range.
EXACTLY. OP needs to stop aiming so high. 350k is not getting you into the city-data-s top 10 must have citys. And i think its kind of funny that the other 90% of nj is no longer considered "decent"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey