Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 06:47 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUskoolie View Post
I am looking for my first home for about a year from now and I have to say...NJ is insanely expensive. I just don't know how people do it. My wife and I will be making close to 100k and want a 3 bedroom 1.5 bath within 45 minutes of Jersey City. I can barely find anything decent for 350k and then throw in at least 8-9k in property taxes on top of your mortgage payment and it is nuts! I just don't know how 20 somethings will continue to make it in this state unless they live in a very very middle class town or work for a Union. It doesn't help that the Mrs. doesn't want to look South of 287, so I am basically stuck looking along Rt 78 and 80, everything else is a fortune!

Maybe I am being too picky but I feel like I can move out of state and get a huge house for 350k along with cheaper property taxes and a more free state.

Ranting....
Within 45 minutes of Jersey City? Do it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 08:32 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUskoolie View Post
I am looking for my first home for about a year from now and I have to say...NJ is insanely expensive. I just don't know how people do it. My wife and I will be making close to 100k and want a 3 bedroom 1.5 bath within 45 minutes of Jersey City. I can barely find anything decent for 350k and then throw in at least 8-9k in property taxes on top of your mortgage payment and it is nuts! I just don't know how 20 somethings will continue to make it in this state unless they live in a very very middle class town or work for a Union. It doesn't help that the Mrs. doesn't want to look South of 287, so I am basically stuck looking along Rt 78 and 80, everything else is a fortune!

Maybe I am being too picky but I feel like I can move out of state and get a huge house for 350k along with cheaper property taxes and a more free state.

Ranting....
Yup those middle class towns are just horrible.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:45 AM

34 posts, read 105,454 times
What is wrong with a house like this?

8 Edgebrook Pl, Cranford Township, New Jersey 07016 (MLS# 3007483) - Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage - ColdwellBankerMoves.com

Old 03-29-2013, 08:57 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,162,472 times
Looks like it is very close to the river, could be in a flood zone?

Old 03-29-2013, 09:02 AM

It's outside of the 500 year flood plain...

Old 03-29-2013, 10:15 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,584 times
In my opinion Cranford's prices have come down a bit in the last year. Could be the homes I am looking at but regardless great time to get into a great town if you dont mind the flood risk.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:58 AM

526 posts, read 2,068,687 times
I'm pretty sure that area flooded during Irene. Plus, you're on the south side, which means south side schools. Not bad, mind you, but not as good as the north side schools. This place is on the north side, but closer to the flood zone. A better buy IMHO:

112 Edgewood Rd, Cranford Township, New Jersey 07016 (MLS# 2997923) - Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage - ColdwellBankerMoves.com

Old 03-29-2013, 01:37 PM

Here are my thoughts

112 Edgewood is in the 100 year flood plain (FP). If it wasn't it would be a good value.

Does the northside of Cranford have some positives, sure, but the southside is still a great place to live and the schools are still great. I think the northside vs. southside stigma has dissipated over the years and I doubt that Orange Avenue and Hillside schools are that far apart. And let's face it OP is just starting out and doesn't have a northside budget. That 8 Edgebrook house would sell for 450K easy in a good spot on the northside. Two full baths are not the norm on the northside.

I really doubt 8 Edgebrook flooded being that it is outside of the 500 year FP. Wet basement in Irene, possible, but that could be said for any town.

OP- it's frustrating. Save your pennies and be patient. Enjoy your time renting without the responsibilities of homeownership. I looked in Clark and Springfield and thought they were great towns and could be a bit more budget friendly. Don't get too discouraged...I feel like you are ahead of the game age-wise...lots of people don't even get married until they are in their 30's

Old 03-29-2013, 02:00 PM

FYI what you can expect on Edgewood Road sometime in the future.

Hurricane Sandy forces 13 Union County towns declare states of emergency | NJ.com

"...A few blocks away, Edgewood Road resident XXX worked with a neighbor to load furniture and other belongings onto a moving truck. After they finished their homes, he said, the men planned to collect possessions from other friends, and park the truck on higher ground.
xxx said he sent his wife and child to stay with family in Pennsylvania, but he plans to ride the storm out. He also experienced the wrath of Hurricane Irene; xxx said he bought his split-level home just two weeks before that storm, and saw his basement and den flooded, and a tree crash through his roof into the master bedroom.
"We're a lot more cautious this time," he said."

Old 03-29-2013, 05:32 PM

526 posts, read 2,068,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrydilla View Post
FYI what you can expect on Edgewood Road sometime in the future.

Hurricane Sandy forces 13 Union County towns declare states of emergency | NJ.com

"...A few blocks away, Edgewood Road resident XXX worked with a neighbor to load furniture and other belongings onto a moving truck. After they finished their homes, he said, the men planned to collect possessions from other friends, and park the truck on higher ground.
xxx said he sent his wife and child to stay with family in Pennsylvania, but he plans to ride the storm out. He also experienced the wrath of Hurricane Irene; xxx said he bought his split-level home just two weeks before that storm, and saw his basement and den flooded, and a tree crash through his roof into the master bedroom.
"We're a lot more cautious this time," he said."
Ugh ... well, forget that idea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey