Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 03:53 PM

11 posts, read 24,779 times

Advertisements

I am moving to North Jersey for work in the Short Hills neighborhood. I am planning to rent a place (hopefully a studio or a room if I really have to) for below $1000 and would like to be as near to Short Hills as possible for shortest commute. What are some recommended areas? I am living by myself and will get a car soon, but I still hope to be somewhere with public transportation (either to NY or to Short Hills). I have looked at areas like Maplewood and Irvington, but someone has told me not to live east of Short Hills because of the safety. How do you guy rank the safety of the neighborhood around Short Hills? Obviously my budget is limited so that I cannot get the best neighborhood.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 05:00 PM

27 posts, read 82,669 times
Millburn is a nice little town...right next to Short Hills. Rent might be higher though. I'ts a pretty safe town w/ easy public transportation. Union is also a nice town. I used to live there and my parents still live there. It's also very close to the Short Hills. There's definitely better parts of Union and the ones closer to Maplewood and Irvington are not the best areas. It's busier because you're pretty much right next to all the main streets and highways...good for commuters. My parents are about less than 10 min away from Maplewood and it's definitely got its good and bad. It's not how it was back in the ol' days. More people, traffic...and some trouble at times.

Look at rentals in Union, Hillside, Livingston (rent might be higher, but doesn't hurt to look) and Springfield. I would steer clear of Irvington...trust me on that one. It's probably going to be easier to find a shared space than a 1 bdrm w/ that budget. If you're looking to stay under 1000 and really want a 1 bdrm...it might not be in a good neighborhood.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:06 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,199,104 times
Maplewood near the Irvington border is kind of nasty, but the rest of Maplewood is fine. Don't even think about Irvington.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:34 PM

Thank you joongbo and nybbler, I will stay away from Irvington then.
It's just tempting because there are many more listing in the east on craigslist :P
I guess I can go slightly above $1000 to $1100 or $1200, but I want to get a good idea before committing to like a 1 year lease. I might need to go with renting a room somewhere close and safe. How would you guys rank between Union, Hillside, Livingston, and Springfield?

Old 03-27-2013, 09:31 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,805,155 times
I would forget Hillside. Livingston would be at the top, but also most expensive. Short Hills is a community within Millburn. You could check Madison for a rental. Good luck!

Old 03-28-2013, 08:14 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Maplewood is fine, but I don't recommend Irvington. West Orange, Livingston, Millburn are all close to Short Hills.

What do you want around you? Downtown South Orange would be nice depending on your age. Lots of Seton Hall students keeping the area vibrant. Families are often downtown by the train station.

I have no idea what typical rents are though.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:55 AM

256 posts, read 572,712 times
You might be able to get a deal in Morristown for around $1000. Won't be fancy, but more walkable than the other places.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:28 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,897,111 times
You might find something in South Orange. I know there are buildings with efficiencies for around $1K. Maplewood is fine too.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletKnightJet View Post
You might be able to get a deal in Morristown for around $1000. Won't be fancy, but more walkable than the other places.
Thanks, I think this can do-able because the commute seems pretty direct (bus) to Short Hills where I will be working since I don't have a car at the beginning.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
Maplewood is fine, but I don't recommend Irvington. West Orange, Livingston, Millburn are all close to Short Hills.

What do you want around you? Downtown South Orange would be nice depending on your age. Lots of Seton Hall students keeping the area vibrant. Families are often downtown by the train station.

I have no idea what typical rents are though.
I am in late 20s moving from the west coast. I think a younger area would be preferred although I am not too much into clubbing/drinking often :P I have lived in both ghetto and nice neighborhood in San Diego, Los Angeles, and Silicon Valley, and I would like somewhere cheaper but not any infamous unsafe area. Eventually I will have a car (maybe a few weeks after I move in), but I would still want somewhere I can ride bus to work at Short Hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey