Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 07:41 AM

908 posts, read 1,555,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
uhh.....what?

First of all, Mom's not getting 20% of anything.

Second of all, Uncle Sam and Cousin Chris are getting most of that money.

From the Phila. Inquirer:

Powerball’s real tax bite is mind-blowing

He'll get about $95 million after it's all said and done.
OUCH!!! I hope he has a good lawyer and an even better accountant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 10:21 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
uhh.....what?

First of all, Mom's not getting 20% of anything.

Second of all, Uncle Sam and Cousin Chris are getting most of that money.

From the Phila. Inquirer:

Powerball’s real tax bite is mind-blowing

He'll get about $95 million after it's all said and done.
That is in part due to him taking a lump sum payout..when you take the lump sum it reduces the pay out
Still absolutely insane what they take in taxes...

Old 04-01-2013, 10:30 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
most of those taxes havent been withheld it seems. so i guess they expect him to write a check when he does his taxes. one thing i always figured was a must if winning the lotto is to look into reducing taxes (possibly by moving to a state with more favorable income taxes). however, if it would be possible to leave the country and not hand over the rest of the tax owed, that seems like the thing to do.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:12 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,977,196 times
N.J. Powerball winner will pay neighbors' rent for at least a month, friend says | NJ.com

What'd I tell ya? Sure, just for a few months... Then he'll buy a "few cars" for some people who need them. Then gee, well, those folks who he paid the rent for just can't keep up, so what the heck? Why not buy them some houses in cash? I'm sure his mailbox is already stuffed with sob stories about needed operations, and other hard luck tales from people he doesn't even know. And then in ten years when he can't pay the property taxes on the mansion he bought in Alpine, or afford the insurance for the fleet of Bentleys, he'll be in Newark using the last of his winnings to file a Bankruptcy petition Why is it that those of us smart enough to put lottery winnings to good use are never lucky enough to win?

Old 04-01-2013, 01:17 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
N.J. Powerball winner will pay neighbors' rent for at least a month, friend says | NJ.com

What'd I tell ya? Sure, just for a few months... Then he'll buy a "few cars" for some people who need them. Then gee, well, those folks who he paid the rent for just can't keep up, so what the heck? Why not buy them some houses in cash? I'm sure his mailbox is already stuffed with sob stories about needed operations, and other hard luck tales from people he doesn't even know. And then in ten years when he can't pay the property taxes on the mansion he bought in Alpine, or afford the insurance for the fleet of Bentleys, he'll be in Newark using the last of his winnings to file a Bankruptcy petition Why is it that those of us smart enough to put lottery winnings to good use are never lucky enough to win?
my ex boyfriend's parents hit for a few mil - they still live and pay rent to the grandmother who lives upstairs from them.

my friend's brother hit for a few mil as well - they bought a home down in Ocean County (not outrageous), went to school for careers that interested them.

They're out there - you just don't hear about them because what's the fun in learning that people ARE responsible? There certainly wouldn't be 5 pages of posts.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
my ex boyfriend's parents hit for a few mil - they still live and pay rent to the grandmother who lives upstairs from them.

my friend's brother hit for a few mil as well - they bought a home down in Ocean County (not outrageous), went to school for careers that interested them.

They're out there - you just don't hear about them because what's the fun in learning that people ARE responsible? There certainly wouldn't be 5 pages of posts.
I was just being sarcastic Growing up I knew a family who won a couple million who put it to good use.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:42 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
I was just being sarcastic Growing up I knew a family who won a couple million who put it to good use.
I figured you were. However there probably are ppl who think everyone would blow it all, except for them of course.

Does anyone remember Curtis Sharp?

Old 04-01-2013, 01:52 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
I figured you were. However there probably are ppl who think everyone would blow it all, except for them of course.

Unfortunately, I do.................

Old 04-01-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Wow, that guy's story turned out pretty good compared to some I've seen. I can't remember his name but there was that guy who kept getting robbed because he was bringing suitcases full of cash to the strip club

Old 04-01-2013, 02:06 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Wow, that guy's story turned out pretty good compared to some I've seen. I can't remember his name but there was that guy who kept getting robbed because he was bringing suitcases full of cash to the strip club
yeah, im surprised the guy kept working for 8 years to get his pension. i smart move (and a difficult smart move) among many dumb ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey