Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 09:35 PM

208 posts, read 544,972 times

Advertisements

So my wife and I have finally found a house that we really like. As usual, there is a (possible) catch though... two electric poles in the backyard, right on the border of another house's.

It is sort of a plus since the street itself has few utility poles so it looks nice and the ones in the backyard are not as visible with all the trees around. I am not concerned about health effects either as they carry regular cables--nothing huge, no transformers etc.

I am worried however about the rights of the power company (PSEG), would the existence of the poles prevent us from putting something up by or near them in the future?

Obviously I am also somewhat worried about the resale value (house is in a good neighborhood with low inventory and it's been on the market for 5+ months), what do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 10:23 PM

390 posts, read 1,366,906 times
All of Glen Ridge, South Orange, and most of Montclair have the electric poles in the backyard. Keeps the streetscape looking nicer and allows for trees to grow full bloom - makes a huge difference on a town feeling more suburban, leafy, and pretty in my opinion.

I see no downside to it whatsoever. Wish every street in Montclair did it

Old 03-29-2013, 06:18 AM

81 posts, read 184,745 times
How does the power company access these poles? Thru your yard? or is there an alley?

Old 03-29-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by labcjo View Post
All of Glen Ridge, South Orange, and most of Montclair have the electric poles in the backyard. Keeps the streetscape looking nicer and allows for trees to grow full bloom - makes a huge difference on a town feeling more suburban, leafy, and pretty in my opinion.

I see no downside to it whatsoever. Wish every street in Montclair did it
That's what I thought after seeing the street, but then worried about access and resale value...

Old 03-29-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memema View Post
How does the power company access these poles? Thru your yard? or is there an alley?
Right thru the yard, there is no alley.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:49 AM

19,114 posts, read 25,309,475 times
The presence of those poles means that the homeowner is required to grant an "easement" for the utility company to access those poles.
And, it also gives the utility the right to trim trees that it deems to be too close to the power lines.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
The presence of those poles means that the homeowner is required to grant an "easement" for the utility company to access those poles.
And, it also gives the utility the right to trim trees that it deems to be too close to the power lines.
Thanks Retriever, I was just reading about that. Apparently the easement also means one cannot build a structure or plant trees that could obstruct access to the poles. In some states, that radius is 10 feet, but I'm not sure about PSEG in NJ.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:56 AM

390 posts, read 1,366,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taha-nj View Post
That's what I thought after seeing the street, but then worried about access and resale value...
Your resale value will be better living on a beautiful tree lined street, rather than one that's had them chopped down to make way for ugly wires going down your block. The wealthier towns do it specifically to keep their towns and streets looking nice, it makes a huge difference, and really bears no negative effects. You and everyone else in town will have a pole in their backyard. I've never even seen PSE&G in mine.

You can't have your street looking like the attached image if you cut all your trees down and put wires up!
Attached Thumbnails
Electric pole in backyard?-image.jpg  

Old 03-29-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by labcjo View Post
Your resale value will be better living on a beautiful tree lined street, rather than one that's had them chopped down to make way for ugly wires going down your block. The wealthier towns do it specifically to keep their towns and streets looking nice, it makes a huge difference, and really bears no negative effects. You and everyone else in town will have a pole in their backyard. I've never even seen PSE&G in mine.

You can't have your street looking like the attached image if you cut all your trees down and put wires up!
I wish the street this house is on was that beautiful! It actually is a very appealing street further from the house, but there are fewer trees where it is at.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:35 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,974,152 times
You need a lawyer to take a look at the easement and what it specifically allows PSEG to do/prohibits you from doing. Just remember, if the easement says that PSEG reserves the right to put a 250 kV (the large steel lattice transmission towers), no matter what the circumstances or what any of the neighbors say ("oh they'll never do that"), if it's in the easement they CAN do it and very well might. There's a fight going on in Princeton right now between Transco-Williams and the residents of one of the neighborhoods where there is an existing natural gas pipeline. When the pipeline was built back in the 1950s the company was granted the right to put a second pipeline in if they ever needed to. Now they are, and of course, the residents are not happy, though it was made clear to them when they bought their properties, or at least it should have been if their lawyers were halfway decent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey