Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2013, 12:35 PM

408 posts, read 323,779 times

Advertisements

I'm a future college student who is thinking of going to Saint Peter's University in a few months. I've already been accepted and I'd like to know how is the environment (people, cost, crime,etc) like in that one area (ie, Saint Peter's University/John F Kennedy Blvd neighborhood)? Are there any dodgy areas which I need to be aware of and if so, don't hesitate to reply.

I just need to know what's it's like from people who have lived there because I've been advised by people I know to stay away from Jersey due to it's crime problem and it's "dirty" reputation but I haven't gotten any info about what it's like in Jersey City. Simply just broad overviews of NJ. So yeah, that's pretty much it and i'm planning to buy an apartment over there.

So yeah, that's pretty much it

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 12:49 PM

19,034 posts, read 25,104,119 times
Well, let's just say that it is not the worst area of the city, and it is definitely not the best area of the city.
If you speak Arabic, you will find the neighborhood more welcoming than if you are not fluent in that language.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:34 PM

516 posts, read 999,028 times
McGinley Square is perfectly safe if you are familiar with an urban environment. I'd look north of Montgomery St (meaning don't go further south than the sky bridge with giant St. Peter's sign) and between West Side Ave and Summit. You'll notice that JFK is quite pretty going north (nicknamed Dr's Row because of the many doctor's/law offices) for a few blocks.

I recommend starting your apartment search on Glenwood by JFK. There are a few prewar buildings there that are pretty nice and ~1K for a large 1bd/small 2bd and very very close to campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey