Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2013, 01:52 PM

3 posts, read 32,667 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am considering moving into a place on blvd east (Weehawken, WNY, or North Bergen) and could use transportation advice. I need to know about the everyday frequency and cost.

Which do you prefer Jitney or NJT and why?

How frequent are they back/forth during rush hours?

Late Night:

How frequent are the buses from PABT to Blvd East?

If I wanted to do a taxi instead, how much might it be?

NJT specifically:

Do they adhere to a schedule leaving from blvd east to ny?

Is a monthly bus pass worth it?

Info on one or more of the neighborhoods is appreciated.

THANK YOU !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 02:50 PM

18 posts, read 126,992 times
What do you mean by jitney? the town bus that goes to the ferry? That doesn't come very often. The NJ transit buses come every few minutes during the morning commute and back to the city too. Check NJ transit for their schedule buses, 165, 166, 128 and 168 all go to weehawken, (not sure how much further since I live in whkn. If you are commuting regular hours then the monthly pass is worth it. There are many other independent buses that charge $3 each way. They are even more frequentm, especially at late night. You can get them at the bus stops on BLvd East, and across from Port Authority near the catholic church and burker king- you'll see a line waiting to board. Taxi for 1 person is pricey, I'm too cheap to use it so i can't remember how much. I find both buses and BLVD east to be safe and frequent enough at all hours of the night.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:07 PM

Thanks for all the info NJfriend! Sorry about the confusion, I thought the small white buses were called jitney's. That's sounds like great transportation. Maybe I don't really need taxis then? I was a little concerned in case I had a night out in NYC with drinks because NJT doesn't seem to be often at night. So how frequent are the independent buses at night?

Old 04-03-2013, 04:01 PM

252 posts, read 453,676 times
I’m indifferent to NJT and the jitneys.

NJT is more comfortable if you get a seat. Standing room only is common during rush hour. The jitneys don’t allow standing passengers so only let people on if there are seats for them. Both run frequently during rush hour, about every 2 minutes. No need to follow a schedule – just show up at the stop and a bus will arrive promptly. NJT costs $3.20 one-way, jitneys cost $3.

Between 11pm and 1am, NJT is better – they nearly always leave at the scheduled time. But they don’t run frequently, so following a schedule is necessary to avoid long waits. The departure gates change, so make sure to read the most recent schedule carefully. After 1am, the jitneys run more frequently than NJT, but only depart when all the seats are full. The wait can be up to 20 minutes. The Boulevard East jitneys wait on the north side of 42nd Street between 8th and 9th Avenues. Taxis are $30-$50, depending on the fares negotiated with the drivers (agree a price including toll before you get in the taxi).

A monthly bus pass costs $98 and is worth it if NJT is used exclusively. If a mix of NJT and jitneys is used, the best way to save a few dollars each month is to buy 1-way NJT tickets and use cash for the jitneys.

The neighborhood stretching along Boulevard East is mostly middle class going up to 2 blocks west. It contains an assortment of housing options, with a common them being everything is about 100 years old. Beyond 2 blocks, the neighborhood is dominated by low-income, Spanish-speaking immigrant households. Weehawken is the nicest town of the three.

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T1128.pdf

Old 04-03-2013, 09:31 PM

Pretorius, thanks so much!!! So informative, I am surprised I still have a couple questions lol

So, If I depend on NJT only will I still see one every few min during rush hour?

Do you know of anyway to save on the independent buses? Once I was on an independent bus (heights > PABT) and I saw people using little paper tickets instead of cash. I think the tix said $2.50.

In regards to using both and buying NJT 1-way tickets do they offer discounts for that?

I noticed Weehawken seems the popular choice of the 3. What do you love about Weehawken?

P.S. The more info the better I am totally new to the areas!

Thanks again!!!!!!!!

Old 04-04-2013, 11:14 AM

252 posts, read 453,676 times
Yes, NJT frequency is sufficient during rush hour that NJT alone is still convenient. According to the schedule I posted above, NJT runs 65 morning buses (7-9am) from Boulevard East to Port Authority and 40 evening buses (5-7pm) in the opposite direction. Despite the frequency, buses are sometimes full on the way into the city, and occasionally a line forms to board the buses leaving the city. The service isn’t perfect. NJT runs hundreds of buses along Boulevard East each day, but can’t meet huge passenger demand. So the jitneys are tolerated because this added capacity is needed to meet the demand. A few times a year, an accident shuts down the bus terminal, resulting in 60-90 minute delays. The PATH train to Hoboken and the ferry to Weehawken are the alternative ways home on these days.

I suspect the $2.50 jitney tickets are purchased in bulk and valid only using the operator that sells them. With several operators on the Boulevard East route, it doesn’t make sense to rely on a single operator just to save 50c per trip.

No, NJT doesn’t offer discounts on 1-way tickets, except to children, students, senior citizens, and people with disabilities.

I don’t love Weehawken. Compared to most towns, it is old, crowded, and dirty. But it is the most convenient NJ location to midtown Manhattan. Compared to Hoboken, Weehawken is quieter and has cheaper housing. And Weehawken has a broader mix of people and housing than Union City and West New York. Plus, relative to other urban areas, Weehawken is safe and government services run well.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 9,344 times
I'll be commuting from the last bust stop in Weehawken to Port Authority. From there, I'll take the train downtown to SoHo. I have to be in at work by 9AM.

I heard that that if the bus is too full then you won't be able to get on during rush hour. Is
this true? Should I be adding extra time to my commute? How about if I walk over to the 2nd to last bus stop before the tunnel will that help in terms of getting on a bus?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey