U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2013, 05:13 PM

18 posts, read 120,810 times

Advertisements

We're thinking of looking in the Red Bank, Middletown area since the taxes are lower and there are many homes at lower prices. I'm not sure how bad the "bad areas" where they are. Please let me know what streets or neightborhoods are bad, and in what way (run down looking, more thefts, any gang or criminal activity?) I've read some older posts concerning schools and I've looked at their HS curriculum- it looks great to me, althout I'm not sure kids would go to public school. For elementary we are considering home school or Catholic school, but may go public some time. I'm interested in areas where we can walk around and other moms and kids are outside.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 10:19 AM

1,248 posts, read 2,693,952 times
Some of the areas on the bay have some of that Keansburg element spreading in, but further away from that you go it is fine. Not an area I'd call unsafe by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:42 AM

875 posts, read 1,974,876 times
Stay away from North Middletown aka Keansburg and west of the tracks in Red Bank otherwise all good stuff

Old 04-04-2013, 01:04 PM

What about the area on the map that is called "north Middletown", but Keansburg is North of there? The dividing line appears to be Port Monmouth Road.
How are Port Monmouth and Leonardo?
Is there a downtown area with restaurants and shops, or are the stores all on the Rt. 35, 36?
We prefer a "quaint area" rather than a sprawling suburb, but with our budget, price and safety are top priority.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:09 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,693,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJfriend View Post
What about the area on the map that is called "north Middletown", but Keansburg is North of there? The dividing line appears to be Port Monmouth Road.
Is there a downtown area with restaurants and shops, or are the stores all on the Rt. 35, 36?
We prefer a "quaint area" rather than a sprawling suburb, but with our budget, price and safety are top priority.
What is now known as North Middletown used to be known as East Keansburg, which is still what I call it, and most other people I know. I think the further away you get from Keansburg the more it improves, because then you get closer to Highlands and Atlantic Highlands which are beautiful areas. These bayshore neighborhoods are very blue collar though and are pretty much what constitutes the low end of town.

As far as a downtown area, not really. Most of what you need is on Rt 35. The closest thing to that in Middletown is really the intersection of Main St. and Leonardville Rd. Mostly plazas though rather than store fronts, I personally never got out of the car and walked around there.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:25 PM

The East Keansburg area, near St. Catherines Church; does it look run down, or have alot of crime?
How about the Tinton Falls, near the West side of the Red Bank train tracks- is that area bad?
What about Eatontown? I know it's more spread out, but does is look grim there?

Old 04-04-2013, 01:35 PM

I know that there is a barrier island and the "beach" near East Keansburg is a "bay", but are there ever any small waves so that one could take a longboard out to surf sometimes?

Old 04-04-2013, 01:44 PM

67,532 posts, read 63,014,047 times
Quote:
North Middletown used to be called East Keansburg. It's an area with a lot of small homes that were once summer bungalows. I know a cop who lives there and raised his kids there, it's sort of middle/lower middle class. Not bad as in shootings and gangs, just not as wealthy as other parts. Leonardo and Port Monmouth are fine.

Make note, however, that my cop friend had four feet of water in his house after Sandy. North Middletown is on the "wet side" of 36.

Go to Red Bank for quaint. Although, Middletown was settled in the 17th century and does have its share of older, historical buildings and sites.

EDIT: I see HubCityMadMan said it better.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:57 PM

67,532 posts, read 63,014,047 times
Quote:
The East Keansburg area, near St. Catherines Church; does it look run down, or have alot of crime?
How about the Tinton Falls, near the West side of the Red Bank train tracks- is that area bad?
What about Eatontown? I know it's more spread out, but does is look grim there?
Eatontown is not grim. It's middle-class. There are a lot of apartment complexes, and Route 35 runs right through it and is lined with endless stores, oil change/lube shops, fast-food, diners, etc., and then you hit the Monmouth Mall at 36. I don't live in Eatontown but have an Eatontown zip (so do parts of Tinton Falls), but I attend a church in Eatontown and most of the people there are middle class types who own their own house, work for the school system, the sewer authority, small businesses, etc. Not rich, but middle-class employed homeowner types. I don't know people who live in the apartment complexes, but you don't read/hear about shootings or rapes or anything going on.

Just FYI, in 2010 the Army closed Fort Monmouth, parts of which are in Eatontown, Oceanport, and Tinton Falls. An authority has been established to oversee the economic revitalization of the former fort, and the Mayor of Eatontown requested that the Eatontown portion not include any more rental properties, but rather structures that will be owner occupied. The authority has agreed to that. I don't know if that will mean SFH's or condos, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey