U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2013, 05:53 AM

40 posts, read 127,750 times

Advertisements

Do NJ elem schools offer tours, or what is the typical way you research the various towns' schools? We are relocating from NYC where I have been able to tour the various public schools I have wanted to, and even learned specifics about their curriculums (science options, phys Ed offerings, after school options, etc). Moreover, I really got gut feelings about various schools that don't necessarily align with their on paper scores or even reps, but are most close to whether i felt they were a fit for my kids.

So, I, wondering of this is possible with the NJ counterparts, and if not, what one uses to research schools. I'd like to gain a better understanding, for example, for why Maplewood schools are not considered as good as Millburn schools, and also examine whether it is a meaningful distinction to us.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 06:48 AM

162 posts, read 269,667 times
We have had three relos and I start researching the schools by going to a website called schooldigger.com. You could find out the school demographics and see how the school performs on the state standarized test scores. I also spend time on the school and/or district website and make calls to the schools with specific questions. My guess is that you could arrrange for a school tour.

I'll be curious to read how other families decide on their school district.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:13 AM

550 posts, read 881,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripmom View Post
I'll be curious to read how other families decide on their school district.
We used: GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

But more than that, our decision to move to our new town relied on discussions with local residents/educators. Particularly, my former boss (before he sold his business and decided to retire into the abyss as he deservedly should), swayed us in this direction after I spoke with him about the few towns that we were looking into, in particular as it relates to the school districts. Also, I knew of at least two teachers in our new town who had good things to say before we made the decision. Maybe one of the more reassuring reasons why we chose the school district we did was because the previous owner's wife is also a teacher in town and they specifically chose to move within the same town and same school zone so that their kids can continue to get their education there. This spoke volumes for us.

Original Poster: Good luck and let us know what you decide to do!

Old 04-07-2013, 06:36 PM

200 posts, read 522,043 times
NJ Dept of Education - New Jersey Department of Education | Report Card

This takes you to a lot of statistics, which gives you a lot of information on different schools. If you have an idea of which towns, or at least counties you are interested you can narrow it down and then call the schools individually to arrange a tour. There are a lot of great towns that have great schools.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: