Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 06:39 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Well Jeez - we're not talking about the swells of Rumson. Just the avg. commuter.

Having taken both NJ Transit trains & buses IMO it's absolutely true. NJ Transit buses are awful. Cramped, broken seats, no heat, consistently late, crummy hours of service. The Bergen Main line was like the Orient Express compared to the NYC buses from central NJ.

Considering 2X as many people use buses each day, they should be focusing more of their efforts on improving things.
While I don't disagree on the quality of many of the buses in their fleet, many bus lines do run much more frequently and faster into Manhattan depending on where you're starting your trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 06:43 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The Buses are often use to supplement the areas that will get future Rail service , that seems to take decades to get built even tho NJT owns the tracks that the future service will run on.
Not sure what the reason is for the lousy bus service, but I was glad to work back in NJ again and get out of those cramped tin cans on wheels. Don't know how many times I had to stand for an hour because they were so jammed.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
While I don't disagree on the quality of many of the buses in their fleet, many bus lines do run much more frequently and faster into Manhattan depending on where you're starting your trip.
The 68 & 138 along Route 18. I took both of them and the buses they had were old & cramped. The last bus left Jersey City at 6:30 pm. Note to NJ Transit - people do work past 6:30 nowadays.

And just demographically, the two towns these lines primarily serve have about 100,000 people in them (Old Bridge & East Brunswick). Meanwhile you have buses running to NW Bergen until midnight that serve relatively small communities and those that already have good rail service. Bad planning.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:25 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Well Jeez - we're not talking about the swells of Rumson. Just the avg. commuter.

Having taken both NJ Transit trains & buses IMO it's absolutely true. NJ Transit buses are awful. Cramped, broken seats, no heat, consistently late, crummy hours of service. The Bergen Main line was like the Orient Express compared to the NYC buses from central NJ.

Considering 2X as many people use buses each day, they should be focusing more of their efforts on improving things.
I started out taking the bus, which was a rickety piece of crap, then NJ Transit got a whole bunch of new buses, and the bus service greatly improved. But that's long ago enough now that those nice new buses are probably rickety pieces of crap and a new fleet is needed.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I started out taking the bus, which was a rickety piece of crap, then NJ Transit got a whole bunch of new buses, and the bus service greatly improved. But that's long ago enough now that those nice new buses are probably rickety pieces of crap and a new fleet is needed.
My very first trip on the 68, I get one of the last seats and the guy in front of me can't move his seat up because it's busted. I'm about 6'2" and with my knees up by my face, it was a rather crummy ride. When I could I took the extra space handicapped seats. #1 for the room and the fact I never-ever saw a handicapped person use them.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:17 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
My very first trip on the 68, I get one of the last seats and the guy in front of me can't move his seat up because it's busted. I'm about 6'2" and with my knees up by my face, it was a rather crummy ride. When I could I took the extra space handicapped seats. #1 for the room and the fact I never-ever saw a handicapped person use them.
I feel your pain. I am 6"1' myself. The world isn't made for us.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:33 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,042 times
Maybe I just have lower standards for comfort than other people here, but I've always been pretty happy with the NJT buses, beyond the core issues universal to all bus travel of lacking both the greater trip-time consistency of trains and the reduced travel-time and increased flexibility of driving.

As far as buses go they're perfectly fine/typical.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:54 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,321,532 times
Quote:

My experiences with NJ Transit buses haven't been as bad. They are generally on time. The main problem is the Lincoln Tunnel, which needs dedicated bus lanes in both directions (not just AM Rush inbound only). Sometimes the delays into PABT are an hour or more! I guess it's a matter of perspective. Local bus service here in Nassau County (Long Island) is much worse. We dont have any regular bus service into Manhattan, only LIRR which can be just as crowded as the subway and often delayed or shut down entirely. Our buses got "privatized" and since then they are late or dont show up most of the time. The a/c rarely is on. The buses are real dirty, garbage strewn all over the floor, grafitti everywhere,etc. Basically the County wanted to save money on bus service and canned the MTA and went with a private company to provide the service for less. Now with NJ Transit I've only had a no show once since I've been taking it, and the buses are usually clean. Now I'm usually on the buses going between Ocean/Monmouth and NYC, so the experiences up north may be different. The seating is much more comfortable than your typical MTA bus. As far as crowding, yeah I've seen some for sure, though its rare to actually have ppl standing on the Central Jersey routes I've been on. My main complaint again is the tunnel and PABT. But that's more of a Port Authority issue, unfortunately they don't seem too willing to make changes that'd help bus users. But given a choice between taking a "NICE" or an NJ Transit bus, I'd rather take NJ Transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey