Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 12:47 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
and why aren't people up in arms about car dealerships not being open on Sunday? where's the outrage?
im up in arms about that!!!! grrrr im really mad!!!! i have 2 days where it may be convenient to shop for a car and for some reason they are closed 1 of those days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 01:10 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Quote:
i'm just absolutely amazed that every time this topic is brought up - the most vocal people are from people that don't even friggen live there. how would you like it if people in bergen county tried to mandate businesses in your county? please, let this topic die forever.
It doesn't matter who lives where. I don't want tyranny anywhere in my country, which is supposed to be a free country, which is why it was formed. Blue laws should not be possible anywhere. It is just a basic infringement on individual rights. It's that simple.

In any case, we need to keep bringing this up to give the voters a chance to change what is obviously wrong. They can fail to do so many times, until the last time, when they finally do change their minds and get rid of this tyranny once and for all. Which I am 100% sure will one day happen. As long as we keep having votes.

No vote, no change, so let's get voting!

Old 04-08-2013, 01:17 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Quote:
and why aren't people up in arms about car dealerships not being open on Sunday? where's the outrage?
I am outraged over this. Car dealerships should be allowed to be open 24 hours 7 days a week 365 days a year if they wish. It is an infringement on a citizen's basic right to freedom to forcibly order him to close his business when he would like to be open.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:34 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,978,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I am outraged over this. Car dealerships should be allowed to be open 24 hours 7 days a week 365 days a year if they wish. It is an infringement on a citizen's basic right to freedom to forcibly order him to close his business when he would like to be open.
FWIW when the legislature passed the bill allowing motorcycle dealers to be open on Sundays, the New Jersey Coalition of Automotive Retailers had this to say:

Quote:
Jim Appleton, president of The New Jersey Coalition of Automotive Retailers, said he understands why motorcycle dealers want to open up on Sunday, but said car dealers do not want a similar law. “We’re not pushing it. It’s not something we’re interested in,†said Appleton, who added car dealers would not make any additional sales by staying open on Sunday, but they might be forced to stay open because of competition with neighboring dealers. “If they weren’t closed on Sunday, they wouldn’t have a day off,†he said.
So private industry, not government, is actually behind no automotive sales on Sunday. Imagine that

Old 04-08-2013, 02:35 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Just because some people have lousy jobs that require night and weekend work is no reason to make all jobs and businesses a 24/7 occupation.

Actually I would like to see businesses go back to like it was in the 50's, 9-5 mon-fri with one night a week open till 9 and one half day open on Sat.

And lets bring back the 35 hr work week like normal people used to work.Tell those employers if I wanted to work ridiculous hours I'd become a RE agent.

You know when you are born you are only allotted so many heart beats, I can't understand why so many people want to use them up working or exercising or shopping on Sunday.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:46 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Just because some people have lousy jobs that require night and weekend work is no reason to make all jobs and businesses a 24/7 occupation.

Actually I would like to see businesses go back to like it was in the 50's, 9-5 mon-fri with one night a week open till 9 and one half day open on Sat.

And lets bring back the 35 hr work week like normal people used to work.Tell those employers if I wanted to work ridiculous hours I'd become a RE agent.

You know when you are born you are only allotted so many heart beats, I can't understand why so many people want to use them up working or exercising or shopping on Sunday.
I think when I look for my next house I'll demand my agent show it to me at 11pm Sunday night.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:17 PM

908 posts, read 1,555,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I'm very sure that the current statute establishing this practice in Bergen County has no mention of, "the Sunday Sabbath", as religiously-based laws of that nature would be an infringement of the rights of people of other religions, and there is legal precedent for striking down laws of that nature.

Back in the '70s, a group of merchants on NY's Lower East Side banded together to sue the city of NY over its requirement that all retail shops close for, "The Sunday Sabbath". Because these merchants were Jewish and they already closed on Saturdays, NYC's archaic laws forced them to close for the Christian Sabbath as well as their own.

As you would probably guess, NY's highest court agreed with the argument of the merchants, and subsequently NYC's statute was changed to read that businesses had to close for one "Sabbath" day, with the specific day to be chosen by the merchant. Later--of course--this revision was again revised, thus allowing NYC retail businesses to be open on all 7 days.

Thanks for the info on the NYC case. I find all that very interesting. Personally, I still don't agree with forcing businesses to close whatever the reason. However, unless there is something proving its a violation of rights, aside from the vote, looks like there isn't much people can do.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:09 PM

513 posts, read 1,167,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
And all realtors should show listings around the clock, too.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:41 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,432,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post

I couldn't agree more. I'd be all for that.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:09 PM

550 posts, read 965,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
I had a conversations with our state senator from Bergen about this a couple of years ago. Seems she sponsored a bill to remove the blue laws years ago because she thought that was what community wanted. Well there was such a negative vocal outpouring from her constituents that she never went forward with bill.
Maybe public opinion has changed but I would be surprised.
That must have been Senator Weinberg? We actually looked at her condo once and considered purchasing it a bunch of years ago. LOL

At any rate, this Blue Laws discussion always sparks some passionate debates. It's interesting to see the different points of views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey