Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 08:40 AM

7 posts, read 14,325 times

Advertisements

Hi I am moving to Rutherford in July with my wife and our three year old boy. We are buying a home in Rutherford and are not looking to be talked to about other towns. Our one concern about Rutherford is it seems difficult to get any information on the town there doesn't seem to be any websites devoted to the town and it doesn't even have a Rutherford patch. We are wondering how to meet other young families in town. We are also looking to find a good daycare/pre-k that provides a solid/healthy food plan full of whole grains and vegetables. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 09:11 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,964,421 times
I don't know the exact website but I've been on Rutherford's town website plenty of times and there is a good amount of information on it. Just google...

Old 04-03-2013, 09:16 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,995,262 times
... and be sure to try the Village Gourmet. Some terrific food and I usually try to stop for dinner when I'm in the area.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:23 AM

667 posts, read 1,746,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
... and be sure to try the Village Gourmet. Some terrific food and I usually try to stop for dinner when I'm in the area.
really That place is not so consistent imo to call it terrific.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:43 AM

667 posts, read 1,746,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm07030 View Post
Hi I am moving to Rutherford in July with my wife and our three year old boy. We are buying a home in Rutherford and are not looking to be talked to about other towns. Our one concern about Rutherford is it seems difficult to get any information on the town there doesn't seem to be any websites devoted to the town and it doesn't even have a Rutherford patch. We are wondering how to meet other young families in town. We are also looking to find a good daycare/pre-k that provides a solid/healthy food plan full of whole grains and vegetables. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I think you're going to need to start a ground roots effort to be honest to connect folks in town. I would start with a basic web page or FB page (although I noticed one already exists about a year old but not very up to date) and distribute a neighborhood flyer in the library/post office/train station letting folks know about the newcomers group. You can look at websites and how other communities do it. We're involved in ours and absolutely enjoy it and find it to be very effective. Have met a ton of people because of it. I think it's well worth the undertaking and a great way to immerse yourself in your new town. Here's a link with what some other towns are doing to that affect: New Jersey Newcomers Clubs, Moms and Dads Organizations, Womens Clubs Directory. It may also help to expand your scope by joining forces with new families also wanting to meet in the general area: East Rutherford, Hasbrouck Heights, Wood-Ridge? Your realtor is also an excellent tool in getting to meet new people. They know who just moved into the area and will know if you have any other common similarities with other families.

The best way to meet young families is usually thru school otherwise it'll be other kid play functions. Sounds like your kid is still a bit too young in that dept. The July 4th event is usually the 'biggie' family event in town. I don't know enough about the local daycare/prek situation but can tell you that YOU will be responsible for providing a solid/healthy food plan for your child. Most pre-k places I know in Bergen county either provide horrid options for food or require the parent send the kid with their own brown bag. There are also plenty of allergy restrictions in most pre-k environments that limit/restrict what can/can't be brought in. Good luck!

Old 04-03-2013, 01:38 PM

88,693 posts, read 85,050,028 times
Since we NJ Forum Posters seem to frequently send to Rutherford potential buyers and renters who want a short commute and affordability in a suburban setting, maybe you could start a "Did you find your way to Rutherford via City-Data?" group!

Old 04-03-2013, 02:40 PM

I could barely figure out how to post on here this morning so starting a whole group seems a bit overwhelming. I appreciate all the feedback so far though.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:06 PM

550 posts, read 967,362 times
My good friend and her husband are moving (back) to Rutherford in a bit. Though they don't have kids, she grew up in town and knows the town very well. She is a PsyD who teaches special education. Please send me a PM if you'd like mutual introductions.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:52 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,785,968 times
Are you sure you don't want to move to Ridgewood instead? It is literally a life changing experience to even smell the air in Ridgewood.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:02 AM

Hey Goodschools
What is the point of being so completely useless?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey