U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2013, 06:32 AM

1,843 posts, read 2,875,892 times

Advertisements

Good morning,

I may be moving in the next month and I am contacting movers for estimates. I had one company tell me that they charge $134/hour & have a minimum 6 hour requirement for weekends. Is this minimum requirement normal? I keep reading horror stories about sketchy movers so I want to be sure. The girl also said that it's ok for them to give the visual estimate only a few days before the move. Any advice is appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 10:41 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,561,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
Good morning,

I may be moving in the next month and I am contacting movers for estimates. I had one company tell me that they charge $134/hour & have a minimum 6 hour requirement for weekends. Is this minimum requirement normal? I keep reading horror stories about sketchy movers so I want to be sure. The girl also said that it's ok for them to give the visual estimate only a few days before the move. Any advice is appreciated!
Are you moving locally? If so I would recommend renting a truck and hiring people for the day to help load and unload. I did this and it worked out fantastic. U-Haul has a list of people and the minimum requirement was 2 hours I believe but the rates they charge and reviews are on there (this is where I got mine from and they were wonderful) U-Haul: Moving Help moving labor service

The $134/hr isn't bad but the 6 hour requirement is a bit much. When I first moved out to Iowa when I went to college I hired movers and they charged by the square footage of the space my stuff took up in the truck (broke many items - was 1 week late delivering, etc) it was a nightmare - NEVER again. On the way back I used the self-storage cubes by ABF and that worked great as well - was actually much cheaper than getting a truck to drive cross-country and I could keep the cube at mom's for a monthly fee until I found a place and was ready to move. Very convenient.

Good luck!

Old 04-10-2013, 11:22 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,066,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
Good morning,

I've had companies give me min. hour requirement move thing. Few things you should check as part of your moving company filters.

- If you are moving into a complex such as luxury building apartments. Check to see if they have COI (certificate of insurance) requirement and how much. One of building I lived in required 2 mil USD COI and some of the movers couldn't meet it so I filtered them out. My friend lived in a building that required 5 mil USD COI...

- If you don't want to deal with hourly hassle. Check companies that offer flat rates. For example, FlatRate and DUMBO movers. There are plenty of others that do flat rate pricing. For hourly rate, you need to be careful because even waiting in traffic can count and sometimes, if company is shady. They'll do couple moves together and they'll try to count the other hours they spent moving other person to you. Also, hourly companies do'nt really have any motivation to move quick. Most of the time, companies can only book 2 jobs on a daily basis with a crew and a truck so that'll try to squeeze the most out of it.

- If you are not moving into building or house that require COI. You can get cheap guys like chinese movers that use personal vans to do stuff. Or pick up day laborers and help you move. It's cheaper for small quick move. However its not like they're professional or help you pack so you need to do more prep work making everything is boxed up and do some overseeing for the move plus provide truck.

Personally, if you don't want hassle. Go with flatrate stuff. If budget is more of concern then def ask around.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:43 AM

1,843 posts, read 2,875,892 times
Thanks for the advice. We are moving locally, and it is not an apartment or townhome (however we are moving out of a townhome...yippie!)

I am comparing customer reviews online & contacting them to come out for estimates. I just found that one odd. Especially since the girl was quick to give a quote over the phone and wasn't concerned about a visual estimate.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:25 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,358,419 times
Check the BBB for unresolved complaints. Big companies will charge by weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: