Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-10-2013, 05:43 PM
 
Location: Rutgers '17
386 posts, read 872,292 times
Reputation: 196

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
"Maybe the NRA will come out and recommend that every house be guarded by an armed law enforcement officer to avoid such a tragedy." - best comment I have seen in a while....."

If you were really concerned you would demand schools use the NRA "Eddie the eagle " safety program directed to young kids.

There is fire safety, Dare, sex ed but heaven forbid we 'arm' our children with knowledge that might save their lives in just such a situation.
Made me giggle.

 
Old 04-10-2013, 05:57 PM
PDD
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,773 posts, read 18,393,566 times
Reputation: 12004
Laws will never get changed. The NRA owns the Republican politicians. Their money is more important than the will of the majority voters.

Gun ownership background checks will not save those who are already gone but it's just good common sense.
 
Old 04-10-2013, 06:08 PM
 
1,787 posts, read 5,748,986 times
Reputation: 1301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
"Maybe the NRA will come out and recommend that every house be guarded by an armed law enforcement officer to avoid such a tragedy." - best comment I have seen in a while....."

If you were really concerned you would demand schools use the NRA "Eddie the eagle " safety program directed to young kids.

There is fire safety, Dare, sex ed but heaven forbid we 'arm' our children with knowledge that might save their lives in just such a situation.
There are some parents that could use the Eddie the eagle safety program.
 
Old 04-10-2013, 06:17 PM
 
2,160 posts, read 4,967,084 times
Reputation: 5527
SSDD.

We'll be reading the same story in the news next week. The only thing different will be the city, the names, the ages of the kids, and the number of guns in the house. In this case it was reportedly "8 to 10" guns. Next week, it will be 3. Or 15. We can play Gun Violence/Accidental Shooting Bingo. As long as "avid hunters", "collectors" and "prepared citizens" do not secure their guns and/or arsenals, and there are children or mentally unstable people in the house, and the gun laws remain the same, it's gonna be the same old story.

If I had kids, I'd want to know which idiots in my neighborhood have 8 to 10 guns, whether or not they know anything about gun safety, and whether those guns are locked away in a secure safe. If no, I would never let my kid play at that house or be friends with the kid who lived there. Not because there is anything inherently wrong with gun owners, but because schidt happens. Like in this story.

SSDD. Get your Bingo cards ready.
 
Old 04-10-2013, 07:02 PM
 
3,984 posts, read 7,078,300 times
Reputation: 2889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
SSDD.

We'll be reading the same story in the news next week. The only thing different will be the city, the names, the ages of the kids, and the number of guns in the house. In this case it was reportedly "8 to 10" guns. Next week, it will be 3. Or 15. We can play Gun Violence/Accidental Shooting Bingo. As long as "avid hunters", "collectors" and "prepared citizens" do not secure their guns and/or arsenals, and there are children or mentally unstable people in the house, and the gun laws remain the same, it's gonna be the same old story.

If I had kids, I'd want to know which idiots in my neighborhood have 8 to 10 guns, whether or not they know anything about gun safety, and whether those guns are locked away in a secure safe. If no, I would never let my kid play at that house or be friends with the kid who lived there. Not because there is anything inherently wrong with gun owners, but because schidt happens. Like in this story.

SSDD. Get your Bingo cards ready.
A newspaper in Westchester used public info to make an interactive map doing just that. The gun lovers had a sh*t fit about their "rights" and stuff and it was taken down when some wahoos started making veiled threats to the editors.
 
Old 04-10-2013, 07:07 PM
 
Location: Lower east side of Toronto
10,564 posts, read 12,824,295 times
Reputation: 9400
We were four boys and one sister growing up. When we got older and sat around the house drinking - my mother would hide all the kitchen knives...the hammers...and guns were no where to be seen.. She was a basic woman who understood that some people can go nuts..and if they do - DON'T HELP THEM...by leaving tools of destruction and mayhem laying about. Oh I forgot...the frying pan...Hide the cast iron frying pan...One of my younger bothers cursed my mother and thinking back there is a curved edge on that old frying pan that fits my thick skulled brothers head....Yah- we were rural and a bit hillbilly.
 
Old 04-10-2013, 07:10 PM
 
3,984 posts, read 7,078,300 times
Reputation: 2889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
We were four boys and one sister growing up. When we got older and sat around the house drinking - my mother would hide all the kitchen knives...the hammers...and guns were no where to be seen.. She was a basic woman who understood that some people can go nuts..and if they do - DON'T HELP THEM...by leaving tools of destruction and mayhem laying about. Oh I forgot...the frying pan...Hide the cast iron frying pan...One of my younger bothers cursed my mother and thinking back there is a curved edge on that old frying pan that fits my thick skulled brothers head....Yah- we were rural and a bit hillbilly.
Just don't hide the belts. What would my old school parents threaten us with?
 
Old 04-10-2013, 07:11 PM
 
Location: in here, out there
3,062 posts, read 7,036,493 times
Reputation: 5109
We need to arm six year olds to protect them from the four year olds.
 
Old 04-10-2013, 07:19 PM
 
Location: Lower east side of Toronto
10,564 posts, read 12,824,295 times
Reputation: 9400
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Just don't hide the belts. What would my old school parents threaten us with?
Funny you mentioned that- My mothers choice of weaponry was her broom. My dad's was his belt. We would run upstairs to hide and all Dad did was jingle his belt buckle. He never actually hit us...but they did like to "threaten"...Sounds like you had good parents. I never hit my kids. All four of them are normal and loving adults. Sometimes my mother would yell out to my dad.."beat them" - He would respond - "No - you do it - if I hit them they will hate me" - I really miss my father - where as my mother not so much..back on topic.

There is a child I know - an infant and he chipped his teeth recently. This never happened to my kids because we did something, call CHILD PROOFING. All things on the child's level that were a danger were removed. If you have guns in the house the child should not be aware of them. They should be in a place where they will never be found...it's called responsible parenting.
 
Old 04-10-2013, 07:19 PM
 
3,984 posts, read 7,078,300 times
Reputation: 2889
I don't know if the gun just went off or the 4 year old (holy crap, just 4 yrs old!) knew enough by watching his gun-luvin dad how to actually hold & shoot the damn thing. At 4 I was into big wheels and matchbox cars.

Gunnuttery is really a mental illness. Those stupid parents are going to have to live with this stain on them forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top