Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 03:56 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,871,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Laws will never get changed. The NRA owns the Republican politicians. Their money is more important than the will of the majority voters.

Gun ownership background checks will not save those who are already gone but it's just good common sense.
Common sense would say that ALL children should be educated about firearms from the time they start walking. This should be the job of their parents. However how can ignorant parents teach their young children anything about a topic that they know absolutely nothing about? The vast majority of our urban populations are only exposed to firearms on the news or even worse by watching the constant misuse and improper handling of firearms on TV or in video games and movies. The NRA has done more to further education about gun safety than all of the news media and various gun control advocates combined.

Anytime I hear anyone commenting about how evil the NRA is I know for certain that they are fools. And screw the majority of voters. The majority of voters elected Obama to the Presidency. Scary isn't it?

GL2

Old 04-11-2013, 05:53 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,079,510 times
Yeah, educate them NEVER to have a loose gun around children. And no guns In the house is even better.

And the National Murder Assn. used to be about gun safety. Now they're mainly an extremist group who pimps for the gun manufacturers.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:33 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,396,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Common sense would say that ALL children should be educated about firearms from the time they start walking. This should be the job of their parents. However how can ignorant parents teach their young children anything about a topic that they know absolutely nothing about? The vast majority of our urban populations are only exposed to firearms on the news or even worse by watching the constant misuse and improper handling of firearms on TV or in video games and movies. The NRA has done more to further education about gun safety than all of the news media and various gun control advocates combined.

Anytime I hear anyone commenting about how evil the NRA is I know for certain that they are fools. And screw the majority of voters. The majority of voters elected Obama to the Presidency. Scary isn't it?

GL2
I happen to be a gun owner and I had to pass a background check in order to purchase. Is that too much to ask for responsible people?

The majority elected Obama because the Repubs put up morons to run against him and other morons voted for them.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:37 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,268,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
BIf people really must own guns, use your noodle and lock them up. Nobody should have to bury a 6 yr old son when common sense would've easily prevented such a tragedy.
One careless mistake by a gun owner and this is what you get. I am in Connecticut and we are still suffering the sting of having those 20 BABIES killed in Newtown as well as the 6 teachers. We have been listening to all the criticism for most of us here wanting tougher gun laws and here you have yet ANOTHER baby being shot. How many more babies do we have to lose before gun advocates realize how HUGE a responsibility owning a gun is??

Old 04-11-2013, 07:13 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,827,353 times
My mother had seen forced labor camps...She saw her family starved to death...she as a girl was raped by the Nazis...she killed a few Nazis personally...She was a tough and smart woman who understood how horrific human beings can get...so she took precautions.

She was a great protector- almost to a fault. We lived on a lake. She looked out the window and saw that a stranger had launched a large boat and was giving the local kids rides. She went down and checked the guy out. She figured out quickly who and what this stranger was. This was before there was the term "pedophile" - My mother took her broom stick and cracked the guy on the head and told him to pack up and leave. She shamed him.

Parents must protect their kids. Because my mother was familiar with evil she could see it coming. Child safety is common sense. There are nasty things in the world and you can not take it for granted that these things will stay clear of your child...Your DUTY is to protect...It is not for the state or strangers...and it does not "take a village to raise a child" It take ONE diligent parent - or hopefully two.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:15 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,345,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
One careless mistake by a gun owner and this is what you get. I am in Connecticut and we are still suffering the sting of having those 20 BABIES killed in Newtown as well as the 6 teachers. We have been listening to all the criticism for most of us here wanting tougher gun laws and here you have yet ANOTHER baby being shot. How many more babies do we have to lose before gun advocates realize how HUGE a responsibility owning a gun is??

Exactly!!! We need to take gun ownership way more seriously then we do. Sorry, but the owner of this gun should be in jail today. He or she did NOT take their responsibility seriously, and there should be consequences. Perhaps they should not be allowed to own guns ever again.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:48 AM

13,406 posts, read 28,741,978 times
RIP sweet little angel...

I read your parents gave the gift of life to others by donating your organs.
I can't even imagine how hard that was for them.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:00 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,871,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
Guns kill a baby and it is national news. A baby falls into a toilet, mop bucket or whatever in the home and nobody other than locals hear about it. Now guess which of the two, drownings or shootings kills more toddlers every year.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/dvs/dea...10_release.pdf

The answer is in table 10 on page 23. . .
The number of deaths is broken down by age: from 1 year to 75. It didn't let me copy & paste in the proper rows and columns. But to summarize the number of children killed by firearm accidents compared to drownings is about six times higher for drownings.

Accidental discharge of firearms (W32-W34)
-
-
Accidental drowning and submersion (W65-W74)
Logic would say we should ban water in more than two cup containers.

GL2

Old 04-11-2013, 09:07 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,702,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Guns kill a baby and it is national news. A baby falls into a toilet, mop bucket or whatever in the home and nobody other than locals hear about it. Now guess which of the two, drownings or shootings kills more toddlers every year.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/dvs/dea...10_release.pdf

The answer is in table 10 on page 23. . .
The number of deaths is broken down by age: from 1 year to 75. It didn't let me copy & paste in the proper rows and columns. But to summarize the number of children killed by firearm accidents compared to drownings is about six times higher for drownings.

Accidental discharge of firearms (W32-W34)
-
-
Accidental drowning and submersion (W65-W74)
Logic would say we should ban water in more than two cup containers.

GL2
sorry, can't take anyone with the screen name "gunluvver" seriously.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:07 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,827,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
And just because someone is a cop or a retired cop shouldn't excuse them from common sense. If anything, law enforcement should be held to a HIGHER standard of intelligence when it comes to firearms! I'm tired of people getting a bye on this ... I don't have a problem with gun ownership, IF you follow the simple rule of keeping it locked up.
My father in law was a retired cop. He had an apartment in our house and was a very heavy drinker. He was depressed and paranoid. He mentioned shooting me one day. I was walking around the house on egg shells. One day I went and snooped in his place...By his bed was a couch. I looked under the cushion and found a revolver. Ammunition for hand guns is almost impossible to get in Canada unless you are full permit...which is rare in most cases.

I examined the gun and thought - "Oh well the old guy was playing with his old revolver" Then on closer examination I noticed that the old pistol was fully loaded with new ammo. At that point I had to take action. I called the cops. I put his full arsenal on top of the dinning room table and the cops arrived. Once they figured out that he was a former cop they refuse to take the gun for which he had no legal permits. Finally I had to appeal to one cop..."I have children in the house and he is storing a fully loaded weapon under a sofa cushion..that's illegal" They took the guns.

He was a cop that should never have been a cop. The guy was an old gun happy cowboy _It would have just been a matter of time before he shot me...or one of the kids would have been harmed. Once a person has lost their mind through booze - drugs or mental illness - it's time to disarm them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey