U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 11:43 AM

1 posts, read 3,521 times

Advertisements

Hello. My wife and I currently live on Long Island and in the next year or two we are thinking of moving to Central/Southern New Jersey. We are in our early thirties with kids on the horizon. We like the suburbs but do not like being more than 10 minutes from stores, restaurants, etc. We have family that lives in Brielle so we wanted to stay closer to there (if possible) and have been considering the following:

Brielle- downside are the cost of houses and there is no High School, it is regional?
Sea Girt- schools don't seem to be ranked very high according to schooldigger.com
Spring Lake- downside are the proximity to the water and there is no High School, it is regional?
Colts Neck- no High School, regional?
Marlboro- we didn't do too much research here yet
Little Silver- looks beautiful but again no High School?
Holmdel- we have not researched too much yet but the schools look pretty good.

Could anyone provide below information on the above towns?

The most important factors for us are (in no particular order):

1) school district- how are the elem and middle schools and what happens to when they reach HS age- do most people send to private schools?
2) housing costs- we can afford up to $600k
3) transportation to Manhattan- how to get to Manhattan/time of commute
4) family friendliness

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 09:56 AM

256 posts, read 561,541 times
I would rank the schools like this:

Holmdel
Little Silver
Marlboro
Colts Neck
The rest are part of Manasquan HS, IIRC.

In that price range, you will probably get the biggest house in Marlboro.

The best commute- but most expensive- would be the ferry from Middletown, which is close to some parts of Holmdel.

The beach communities have less families full time. A place like Sea Girt or Spring Lake has a lot of people who only live there in the summer.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:00 AM

7 posts, read 36,654 times
It really, really depends on your price range. Without knowing what you want to spend its hard to say which may be better than another because you may end up spending a lot of money on a small house in one town just for the sake of "being in that town," or paying not as much for a larger house/yard in one town just for the sake of "having lots of space."
That said, I just saw your budget so disregard that lol.
If you're commuting to Manhattan I would immediately cross Sea Girt, Spring Lake, Brielle off your list. Not to mention its not worth spending $600k to be in those towns as you'll get a shoe box.
Spring Lake/ Sea Girt are more "summer towns" anyway, meaning around half the residences there will be second homes.
Judging by your price range I'm gonna guess you're not able or willing to shell out the $$for commuting via high speed ferry, so I would cross Little Silver off your list.
So now you're left with Colts Neck, Marlboro, Holmdel. Schools in Holmdel are definitely the best out of the three, and Holmdel has its own HS (one of the states top ranked.) However, the schools in Marlboro and Colts Neck are very good as well. Both Marlboro and Colts Neck are in the Freehold Regional High School district, both have their own high schools, but are members of the district And draw from neighboring towns.
Taxes in Marlboro are VERY, VERY high, while taxes in Colts Neck are pretty much the lowest in the county. For $600k you will get the most in Marlboro, however lots of Marlboro is not near the train, so you'll be commuting by bus. Holmdel is very close to train, and so is much of Colts Neck. From CN or Marlboro you'll be commuting from the Aberdeen/Matawan station, from Holmdel you would as well or Hazlet.
Colts Neck is the smallest of the 3 population wise. Colts Neck is very desirable in that it has very large lots and very strict rules regarding development. Basically if you go to each town and look around, what you see will be what you always see in a town like Colts Neck, whereas Marlboro and Holmdel still see large scale development. In the current market you could get a pretty good deal in Colts Neck, and out of the three towns I'd say it would be the best investment. Holmdel's prices are about the same as Colts Neck's more or less, with Marlboro being the least.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:28 PM

45 posts, read 100,580 times
I think Colts Neck is a beautiful town, but I wouldn't call it close to the train. It's a 15-20 minute drive from the upper corner closest to the station. It may be slightly closer to the GSP exit 109 Park and Ride but not by much. Marlboro and Holmdel both give you better commuting options. Parts of Holmdel and Marlboro are very close to the Aberdeen-Matawan station (by which I mean 10 mins or less), Holmdel also has sections that are close to the Hazlet station, and both towns also have Park and Rides for the bus. Little Silver has a train station, but there isn't much parking. The Red Bank station is only a short drive from most of the town though. I'd agree with previous posters that for a NYC commute you really don't want to go further south than Little Silver.

You may want to throw Middletown into the mix as well. It has train and bus service to Manhattan (as well as the high speed ferry if you're willing to pay for it) and has a pretty good school system (particularly Middletown South high school).

Commuting time will vary depending on the area. You can try to keep it 1:30 door to door, but once you get down to Little Silver the train alone is 1:15.

All of these areas have good schools and can be great places to raise a family. I think the key will be to visit and see what feels right for you and your family.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:08 AM

895 posts, read 2,189,675 times
Considering your requirements and criteria, Middletown (south), would be your best option.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:23 AM

Brielle- downside are the cost of houses and there is no High School, it is regional?

TOO EXPENSIVE FOR YOUR BUDGET, MANASQUAN HS

Sea Girt- schools don't seem to be ranked very high according to schooldigger.com

Spring Lake- downside are the proximity to the water and there is no High School, it is regional?

Colts Neck- no High School, regional?

COLTS NECK HS, FAR COMMUTE TO NYC, MOST HOMES OVER BUDGET

Marlboro- we didn't do too much research here yet

FAR COMMUTE TO NYC

Little Silver- looks beautiful but again no High School?

RED BANK REGIONAL HS, COULD BE A GOOD OPTION IF YOU'RE WILLING TO GET SMALLER HOUSE AND LOT THAN U COULD HAVE IN OTHER TOWNS FOR SAME PRICE, MOST FAMILY FRIENDLY

Holmdel- we have not researched too much yet but the schools look pretty good.

BEST SCHOOL, MOST RURAL OPTION, TO GET A HOUSE UNDER 600K IT WOULD BE OLDER AND/OR COMPROMISE LOCATION (I.e.) BE ON A BUSIER ROAD

Last edited by OysterCatcher; 04-23-2013 at 06:57 AM..

Old 04-23-2013, 06:27 AM

85,302 posts, read 80,390,859 times
Red Bank Regional High School is in Little Silver. The two towns go to high school together.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:52 AM

BOTTOM LINE, you're looking for

GOOD SCHOOLS
SUBURBS
COMMUTE TO NYC
UNDER 600K
FAMILY FRIENDLY

Your best match is Middletown, specifically the Lincroft section. No question!

If you want one step up go with Little Silver, two steps up go with Fair Haven. But keep in mind with each step up it buys you less house and property!

Old 04-23-2013, 07:44 AM

7 posts, read 36,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monet789 View Post
I think Colts Neck is a beautiful town, but I wouldn't call it close to the train. It's a 15-20 minute drive from the upper corner closest to the station. It may be slightly closer to the GSP exit 109 Park and Ride but not by much. Marlboro and Holmdel both give you better commuting options. Parts of Holmdel and Marlboro are very close to the Aberdeen-Matawan station (by which I mean 10 mins or less), Holmdel also has sections that are close to the Hazlet station, and both towns also have Park and Rides for the bus. Little Silver has a train station, but there isn't much parking. The Red Bank station is only a short drive from most of the town though. I'd agree with previous posters that for a NYC commute you really don't want to go further south than Little Silver.

You may want to throw Middletown into the mix as well. It has train and bus service to Manhattan (as well as the high speed ferry if you're willing to pay for it) and has a pretty good school system (particularly Middletown South high school).

Commuting time will vary depending on the area. You can try to keep it 1:30 door to door, but once you get down to Little Silver the train alone is 1:15.

All of these areas have good schools and can be great places to raise a family. I think the key will be to visit and see what feels right for you and your family.
Large parts of Colts Neck lie directly in between or immediately south of the areas of Marlboro and Holmdel that are 12min or less from Aberdeen/Matawan station. My entire family as well as much of my neighborhood when I was growing up, commuted to NYC from CN via Aberdeen Matawan. The "Clover Hill section" of Colts Neck, which runs between rt. 34 on the east, rt. 520/Holmdel Border on the North, Boundary Rd/Marlboro border on the west, and Conover Rd on the south; is one of the most affordable and desirable neighborhoods In Colts Neck. In the current market you can get a "fixer upper" for less than $550k if you act fast (most of those homes don't sit on the market long), with the average homes going between $650k and $900k, and the homes that have been gutted, renovated, or knocked down and rebuilt can go for between $900k and $1.4m.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:57 PM

45 posts, read 100,580 times
Mld, that was the closest section of Colts Neck that I was thinking of too, but I was thinking it would be more than 15 mins to the train. Thanks for the info! I'll have to go check that area out, we'll be moving soon and I might be able to add it to the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey