U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 08:18 AM

530 posts, read 421,755 times

Advertisements

Ansky- Thank you. We're going to check out some open houses on Sunday in WO without the kids. I'm looking forward to it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 08:35 AM

26 posts, read 67,025 times
Default My two cents.

350k will not get you into a good neighborhood in South Orange or Maplewood. I don't think it would get you anything worth looking in Livingston. I was in the same boat when I was looking for a home, and ended up in West Orange. Taxes are not much higher than the other 3 towns, but you will definitely get more home for your money, and in a better neighborhood. Schools are not the best in terms of scores, not the worst either, but that’s due to the socioeconomic diversity of the town, not because of lack of programs, or opportunities offered.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:11 AM

530 posts, read 421,755 times
Kobain- Thank you. That is my general consensus as well. I'm of the opinion that as long as there are programs available that my kids will benefit from, I'm not bothered by the scores. We have our kids in public school here in Brooklyn which obviously runs the gamut in terms of good, bad, and awful.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,980 times
We just moved to the Livingston area. We live very close to the Livingston Mall. Can anyone tell us what train station is the closest, to commute to Penn Station? Are there train stations with available parking space? if not, what options do I have? We are a little bit lost, and your help is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-27-2013, 05:24 PM

16,960 posts, read 13,013,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamlivingston View Post
We just moved to the Livingston area. We live very close to the Livingston Mall. Can anyone tell us what train station is the closest, to commute to Penn Station? Are there train stations with available parking space? if not, what options do I have? We are a little bit lost, and your help is greatly appreciated.
The Jitney from the Mall parking lot. It goes to South Orange train station. IV never used it, so I can't tell you much more about it.

Old 04-28-2013, 02:59 PM

12,284 posts, read 33,777,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
The Jitney from the Mall parking lot. It goes to South Orange train station. IV never used it, so I can't tell you much more about it.
LOL - the Doc is coming out, Doc.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:14 PM

141 posts, read 214,569 times
Doesn't have the name recognition of Maplewood/SO but checkout Springfield, NJ. Doesn't have all the amenities as Maplewood/SO but your close to those towns.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:17 PM

16,960 posts, read 13,013,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
LOL - the Doc is coming out, Doc.
My iPhone always does that to me. I text "IV" so often that I guess that is what autocorrect has set to the default. LOL.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:14 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,124,901 times
I am familiar with the area. I don't think one can get anything reasonable in Livingston for under 350,000 but if you can afford to live in Livingston do it. Public Schools are better and it's a really nice area. Although it's not very diversified (mostly whites) but it wont be odd living there for some-one who is not white. There are express buses to NYC and fast access to multiple highways. Livingston does not have a bad part of town.

West Orange would be my second choice, again if property under 350k can be found there. Taxes in West Orange are high. Really investigate taxes there, you may find that with property taxes you can afford Livingston easier. West Orange is diversified, public Schools are also pretty good.

I would mention that you consider Millburn and East Hanover, those are also good places to raise kids.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:33 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,124,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamlivingston View Post
When I lived in Livingston I used Comunity Coach busses to get to NYC, Port Authority is only a few blocks from the Pen Station. and there is a buss stop at the Livingston mall.

The closes Train stations I would use is Millburn and South Orange I believe there is public parking for commuters, but it's not free parking. I think one has to get a monthly parking permit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey