Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2013, 06:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,756 times

Advertisements

I'm a student in a local community college in North NJ and I'm finishing my Accounting AS in a year. The schools I'm looking to transfer to is either Montclair State, Baruch, or Rutgers Newark. My question is how good is each college to leverage into getting in public accounting (Big 4 preferably). From what I know is that Baruch is the mecca of Big 4 recruiting but I would have to get my MAcc or something due to the 150 credit rule in NY. But another important thing is that Montclair beefed up its accounting program to 150 credits even though 150 credits isn't necessary for NJ. How good is Montclair in regards to national firms or big 4 recruiting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 07:20 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doge View Post
even though 150 credits isn't necessary for NJ.
It isn't required to sit for the exam. It is required to actually get your license.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:19 AM

478 posts, read 1,229,530 times
Speak to admissions/ career center and see what their placement record is like. You are paying them and they work for you!!

Old 06-02-2013, 09:24 AM

2 posts, read 2,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
It isn't required to sit for the exam. It is required to actually get your license.
Wow I guess I read the requirements wrong then. I suppose Montclair would have the stronger program right?

Old 06-03-2013, 08:45 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
I'm a student in a local community college in North NJ and I'm finishing my Accounting AS in a year. The schools I'm looking to transfer to is either Montclair State, Baruch, or Rutgers Newark. My question is how good is each college to leverage into getting in public accounting (Big 4 preferably). From what I know is that Baruch is the mecca of Big 4 recruiting but I would have to get my MAcc or something due to the 150 credit rule in NY. But another important thing is that Montclair beefed up its accounting program to 150 credits even though 150 credits isn't necessary for NJ. How good is Montclair in regards to national firms or big 4 recruiting?
I worked at a public accounting firm (Grant Thornton) and can tell you that locally, in NYC, Baruch seemed to be highly respected program to recuit from. I don't recall any hires from montclair st. We did hire some masters students out of Rutgers MBA program though.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:03 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,320,698 times
Quote:
Doesn't Pace also have a respected Accountancy Program?

Old 06-03-2013, 10:28 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
Doesn't Pace also have a respected Accountancy Program?
Pace is another one that Grant Thornton seemed to recruit fairly heavily out of. Friends at the Big 4 relayed the same about Baruch and Pace. I forgot about Pace!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: