Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 11:49 AM

4 posts, read 4,418 times

Advertisements

To OP,

My family is in a similar situation as yours and I'm wondering what you have found. My husband also recently accepted a job at ETS. We will be moving in August from Arizona (but we have also lived in SC!) with a newborn baby and looking for a (possibly short-term) rental before buying. We are hoping to have a similar rental range.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 09:52 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times
I would consider the guy mentioning Yardley, PA. It's a rather clean upscale area and probably about 15 or 20 minutes my guess from the location you're interested in. Also some other towns in that area. I remember the Newtown, PA area has lots of single family and townhouses.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:57 AM

692 posts, read 2,351,737 times
I was the one mentioning Yardley... but I am not a guy

Old 05-07-2013, 01:27 PM

38 posts, read 65,343 times
Everyone that has responded is giving strong candid advice. tips and rec commendations. If this was a different time period...y'all (I am from SC/Savannah,too)..you could of rented my place completely furnished in South Brunswick for 3-4 months until you get settled in and become familiar with the area. I plan to rent out my unit about 1 year from now...for between $1700-1800...furnished and utilities and all...cause I cool like that =0) and my place is short-term...month-to-month with minumum3-4 months stay. I have a 3 bedroom with 2 bath 2-level condo in a beautiful neighborhood...near all major highways, trains, shopping, hospitals..etc...and you have NYC, Philly, AC, Washington DC..etc..all under 7-8 proximity from Middlesex County.

I had someone do this for me and now it my term...but not till 2014. There are places in your price range (craigslist)...but not for short-term lease. And if you do have a 12 month lease...it is costly to break out of. Two former housemates each paid over $500-800 to break their leases at Avalon in West Windsor. I wish you all best of luck...and unfortunately...I have no one to refer you too....

Old 05-07-2013, 09:11 PM

Thanks all! I'll be sure to add those areas to our search. Do Yardley and Newtown have fun things to do? We're not looking for anything crazy (esp. with a newborn), but we do like to go out to eat, catch a movie, etc. My understanding is that the commute from those areas to Princeton is about 30 minutes. Is that correct? Also, would you consider the commute from Yardley and Newtown to Philadelphia reasonable (<60 min)? Eventually, I'll also be looking for a job, which will most likely be in the Philadelphia area.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:57 AM

692 posts, read 2,351,737 times
Yes, there are things to do (newtown actually has the oldest movie theatre in the US, it's a tiny one screen theatre). Both are close to the Oxford Valley mall which has a large movie theatre, tons of restaurants, etc. Yardley and Newtown both have downtown areas with restaurants, bars, etc.

Commute times:
Yardley to Princeton is 15 minutes
Yardley to Center City Philadelphia is 40 minutes
Newtown can be a little further depending on how far out you get.. but not by much.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:19 AM

9 posts, read 24,123 times
Great advice everyone! Yellow, we are still looking but I will be sure to let you know what we have found. It does look like we will have to up our budget to some extent. It was already up a lot frm what we pay per month in sc (600!). So we are definitely experiencing sticker shock. I grew up in upstate ny so I am familiar with the honesty (not rudeness) of northern culture.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:08 PM

Wonderful, thank you!! That would be great!! Yeah, I think that we may have to up our price too. We were hoping to pay as little rent as possible to save for a down payment on a house, but we also want to live in a relatively nice place while we are renting. We currently pay $1600/mo., but what we get for that in Arizona, we would have to pay probably $3000/mo in that area to get a comparable place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey