Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2013, 08:26 PM

2 posts, read 9,805 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am considering moving to Montclair with my husband and twin daughters who will be in fourth grade. I am curious about the difference between the two zip codes -- is one area considered much nicer and if so, why? Nicer homes? How is the school system? Is there one high school for both zips? In which area would you recommend buying? Ive heard that Montclair is fairly hip, diverse and artsy -- is this true? Finally, how is the housing market? How is the commute to the city? I started looking in Westchester but it seems that you can get much more house in Montclair. Is this generally true?

Thank you so much for any advice you can offer, including websites and forums where people may be discussing these exact issues!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 09:16 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,452,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florava View Post
Hi, I am considering moving to Montclair with my husband and twin daughters who will be in fourth grade. I am curious about the difference between the two zip codes -- is one area considered much nicer and if so, why? Nicer homes? How is the school system? Is there one high school for both zips? In which area would you recommend buying? Ive heard that Montclair is fairly hip, diverse and artsy -- is this true? Finally, how is the housing market? How is the commute to the city? I started looking in Westchester but it seems that you can get much more house in Montclair. Is this generally true?

Thank you so much for any advice you can offer, including websites and forums where people may be discussing these exact issues!
I highly recommend you doing a search on this forum, just search for Montclair, NJ you will find quite a number of threads chock full of useful information.

I am enclosing a copy of a post of mine from about a year ago which has some good info for you.

"Montclair has a lot going for it. Pretty large town (population about 40,000) with plenty of diversity. Great access to NYC via train, (45 min commute, though parking at the stations is an issue and added expense.) Very urban environment (opposed to suburban, ie: Naperville) with plenty of shops, restaurants, galleries, theatres, etc. There are parts of town you'd definitely want to avoid due to crime/safety. It is a college town, which can be both a plus and a minus. Good resale value, as it is a desirable location for NYC commuters.

The schools are good, though definitely "different". All of their elementary and middle schools are what they call magnet schools with specialties. (One elem for environmental science, one Montessori, one global studies, one university tract, one science and technology, two "gifted and talented") The three middle schools are categorized as Visual and Performing Arts, Liberal Arts, and University STEM. Which then all funnel to one HS. I personally have ambivalent feelings about the system - how can a parent tell if their 4 yr old will be interested in/have an aptitude for a specific/focused education? There is more information available here Montclair Public Schools - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Although Montclair HS was ranked 90 out of 330 according to NJ Monthly, I always wonder if that is because of the reputation they garnered back in the day, (80's 90's) when they won a bunch of awards, and due to the demographics of the population. You should check out this thread for more info on NJ Monthly school rankings Updated NJ High School Rankings

Your commute to Union will be long and not be easy. You'd have to take the Parkway (toll road) going through "wonderful" East Orange, Newark and Irvington. It is always very congested with back ups during rush and in the summer becomes a parking lot with traffic heading to the shore. Your actual commute time will be in excess of an hour if you travel during rush hours. (and much longer during summer mornings) Don't even think about trying to travel side roads to get to work. Seriously. Don't. Even.

Another huge consideration is the taxes. A home in Montclair that is currently on the market for $783,000, is a typical mid century expanded cape, with 3 Bd has a 2011 tax bill of $24,748. OUCH. (for the same price you will get a bigger house, more property and have a tax bill around $15,500/17,000 in Morris or Somerset County. Plus in the towns you are checking out in Morris or Somerset County, the schools rank much higher.)

Speaking of cost of living, your homeowners and car insurance will be significantly higher in Essex County than in the other towns you are considering. (NJ has the highest car insurance rates in the nation. So brace yourself.)

Don't for a moment worry about asking questions... we all understand how difficult and daunting moving across the country to an unfamiliar area is! "

KoalaNJ

Old 04-20-2013, 10:56 PM

390 posts, read 1,366,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florava View Post

Hi! I live in Montclair and will try to help with some of these questions!

The difference in zip codes is just that - a difference in zip codes. The section of town north of Watchung Ave, called Upper Montclair, has 07043, south of Watchung has 07042. It doesn't dictate anything else- the town doesn't change at this border, and you wouldn't know it existed otherwise.

There's this sometimes mistaken perception by people who haven't been here that Upper Montclair is the "nicer" section of town, and this isn't the case at all! Montclair's largest homes are in the far southern end of town (the Estate Section), and many of Montclair's nicest neighborhoods (like Erwin Park and Malboro Park) lie outside of Upper Montclair. Actually, the homes in Upper Montclair are largely smaller and on smaller plots of land than the rest of town - as they were built for more middle class families. That being said, the southeastern part of town near Glenfield Park and the Glen Ridge border isn't the nicest part of town. Point is: it's a big town with lots of different neighborhoods! Do NOT let the zip codes influence where you look for homes - it's a huge misconception about the town.

The school system is loved by everyone in town we know - and will probably be the topic of much debate here, as some people arnen't comfortable with the town's diversity, but here's the bottom line: if the town appeals to you, the schools will for largely the same reasons. The schools were a big reason why we moved here. Else why pay the taxes? One high school for the whole town.

Yes, Montclair is known for being artsy and diverse. Lots of writers live here, and we have everything from our own film festival and art museum. The town is also the culinary capital of New Jersey! Check out baristanet.com to read about town happenings. Don't forget either: Montclair is a historic town, with some of the nicest home stock in the state. It's known for its beautiful architecture and tree lined streets!

Commute via midtown direct train to NY penn is 35-50 minutes depending on which of the towns many stations you leave from. DeCamp buses run about the same.

Housing market has been super hot this year. Not sure how we compare to Westchester though!

More questions, just ask!

Old 04-21-2013, 07:19 AM

2 posts, read 9,805 times
Thanks for your thorough responses! My husband and I are going there today to check it out and maybe drop in on a few open houses just to see what's available in our price range (under 800k). I'm assuming we can just drive to town and park and walk around a bit? Also, I read on this forum that Glen Ridge is a nice town with a great school system. Any thoughts on the differences between the two? I assume the town must be smaller and not as interesting, but I guess I shouldn't assume anything without knowing!

Thanks again for all. This is a daunting process and obviously we want to make the right decision!

Old 04-21-2013, 08:16 AM

390 posts, read 1,366,906 times
Glen Ridge is small, largely wealthy and white, with a top rated school system, and no real walkable downtown - though you're a short drive to Montclair. The entire town is a historic district and still gas lamp lit. It's really charming and beautiful. It borders Montclair so if you're here today, you should absolutely check it out.

You can certainly walk just about anywhere in Montclair - the town was built before cars so most homes are a short walk to both a train and some sort of downtown area. Lots of parks in town as well!

Old 04-30-2013, 02:39 PM

191 posts, read 697,764 times
Last I heard, schools in GR are 100% funded by property taxes with no $ from the state - not sure if this is still accurate. As a result and along with other factors, I think overall GR property taxes tend to be much higher than Montclair.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:41 AM

2 posts, read 7,003 times
Hi Florava! What did you decide about your move? I feel like i could have posted your original question myself. Looking to move to Montclair with a 3rd grader (and a younger child). I have all the same questions. It would be so helpful to know if you made the move and how the schools are for you. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey