Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2013, 09:36 PM

389 posts, read 664,040 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

One property we are considering making an offer on is in south Scotch Plains. Today, we happened to be there when a train went through (our 2nd visit). We were outside the house. It was loud.

Can anyone tell me (A) how often the trains run through and sound the horn and/or (B) how does this impact value of property down there?

Thanks for any and all perspective! My initial reaction is to run away. But, I have heard from friends and (of course) broker that this is a very desirable area of SP....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 09:51 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,035,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirk98 View Post
Hi everyone!

One property we are considering making an offer on is in south Scotch Plains. Today, we happened to be there when a train went through (our 2nd visit). We were outside the house. It was loud.

Can anyone tell me (A) how often the trains run through and sound the horn and/or (B) how does this impact value of property down there?

Thanks for any and all perspective! My initial reaction is to run away. But, I have heard from friends and (of course) broker that this is a very desirable area of SP....
The best way to evaluate a nuisance factor such as this is to interview at least 4 or 5 neighbors. If they all effectively yawn, you are good to go. If there is a mix of reactions, you've got a bigger decision. Ultimately it comes down to your comfort level with the nuisance in question. If the rail line is in your back yard however, that is always a big negative, and will adversely affect your resale value and marketability. Also, diesel is a bigger negative than electric. Diesel trains are noisier and belch noxious fumes in addition to their noisy demeanor. And freight is a much bigger negative than passenger.

Also in Scotch Plains, keep an eye out for the new power lines.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:11 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,845,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
The best way to evaluate a nuisance factor such as this is to interview at least 4 or 5 neighbors. If they all effectively yawn, you are good to go. If there is a mix of reactions, you've got a bigger decision. Ultimately it comes down to your comfort level with the nuisance in question. If the rail line is in your back yard however, that is always a big negative, and will adversely affect your resale value and marketability. Also, diesel is a bigger negative than electric. Diesel trains are noisier and belch noxious fumes in addition to their noisy demeanor. And freight is a much bigger negative than passenger.

Also in Scotch Plains, keep an eye out for the new power lines.
That part of the Raritan Valley line is passenger only , and they use the newer quieter diesels which do not spew toxic fumes... The Railroad also planted a Tree buffer which is about 10-30ft of thick trees between the Tracks and the Properties... That line is grade Separated so unless there doing work which there should be in a few years you won't hear any Horn noise.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:16 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,109,867 times
Fanwood/Scotch Plains is the NJ Transit Raritan Valley Line. I do not believe there is any significant freight service on the line (if any).

The horn should not be being sounded as far as I know, as there are no grade crossings in the area (tracks do not intersect with road) on the line.

However, it is diesel service (but passenger, so less noise/much less pollution than freight). There are approximately 50 trains per day you can expect going by in total, about 25 each direction. (40/20 on weekends).

As Marc advised, I'd check with the neighbors as far as if they find it disturbing, and I'd suggest looking up the train schedule and seeing what it's like in the house at that time, particularly in the bedrooms. Keep in mind what else the proximity to the train means, which is good commuter access to the line.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:21 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,845,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
Fanwood/Scotch Plains is the NJ Transit Raritan Valley Line. I do not believe there is any significant freight service on the line (if any).

The horn should not be being sounded as far as I know, as there are no grade crossings in the area (tracks do not intersect with road) on the line.

However, it is diesel service (but passenger, so less noise/much less pollution than freight). There are approximately 50 trains per day you can expect going by in total, about 25 each direction. (40/20 on weekends).

As Marc advised, I'd check with the neighbors as far as if they find it disturbing, and I'd suggest looking up the train schedule and seeing what it's like in the house at that time, particularly in the bedrooms. Keep in mind what else the proximity to the train means, which is good commuter access to the line.
There is Freight on the line however between Middlesex and Cranford the line for Freight splits off and heads South and turns North again.. Its about 50 trains now , but with the Planned Expansions that number should increase to 100 trains a day.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:07 AM

1,619 posts, read 3,771,856 times
The train you might be talking about MIGHT not be the raritan valley line that people are talking about here (and living by RV line is NOT a problem. You hear the horn once in a while, and then say, "oh, I forgot about that horn"). On the far south of the town (as opposed to the south of route 28, ie north and south avenues), there is a freight train line that is beween Clark and Scotch Plains. It should not be that much of a problem. I THINK (at least in westfield Trains must be quiet while chugging through Westfield | NJ.com) the train was switched to "quiet mode" and are not allowed to blow horns

Old 04-24-2013, 07:32 AM

389 posts, read 664,040 times
this is great info! This home is closer to Rt 28. I was pretty sure it is the RV Line, and I just google mapped the area and now see the freight tracks waaaaay south of the property.

Sounds like, if I am reading the above properly, that the train horn is a random occurrence only when they are working on the track (hope they dont work nights!!!)

Did I read that correctly above that they have planned work? I need to get back there and chat with neighbors

Old 04-24-2013, 06:42 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,771,856 times
I lived 3 or so blocks from the RV line. I heard the train horm sometimes. It is not only for when they are doing work. It never woke me up and I am a pretty light sleeper. Just something your hear out of the blue. To me I would equate it to a dog barking ONCE 4 or 5 houses away. Something you notice unless you are concentrating on something else
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey