Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2006, 07:45 AM

19 posts, read 140,766 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

Long story short we're relocating from MI to NJ as my husband took a job in NYC. We've been out once for a week and only found one FSBO we loved, but didn't work out.

We're now running out of time, we've zeroed in recently on Middletown and my husband will be heading out this weekend to check out a few houses in hopes of finding one to make an offer on.

That said we're getting conflicting information on the commute. The realtor in Middletown said my husband could be NYC in an hour or so via train or bus (ferry is to expensive for us) yet another friend of mine up in Union Twsp said it was way to far to commute. Coming from MI where everyone uses cars the whole idea of mass transit is foreign to us and very confusing.

I checked the nj transit site and I get conflicting times based on different addresses in Middletown (ie one will say about an hour, the other over 2 1/2!) I'm assuming there must be a direct train? Can someone help clear our confusion... it sounds like an idea place for us as long as my husbands commute is no more then 1 1/2 hours each way to his new job located at 220 E. 42nd Street.

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2006, 08:17 AM

4 posts, read 40,948 times
Default Matawan (next to Middletown) is NYC commuter's dream!!!

Hi there,
We live in Aberdeen-Matawan NJ (city next to Middletown NJ) and my husband commutes to downtown NYC daily by NJTransit train. It takes 45mins on the express trains that run every 5-10mins during the peak hours (6AM - 9AM) from Aberdeen-Matawan (07747). It is the North Jersey Coast Line NJTransit trains. Middletown is right next to our city. It is part of Monmouth County. It is a "breeze" to commute to the city from this place...trust me...we have been doing it for the past 8yrs. We loved the convenience of proximity to NYC train/bus and still being on a quiet street, good schools. We are relocating and are looking to sell our house ASAP!!! (by this month end) .
Moderator cut: removed - no advertising here

Last edited by Yac; 10-09-2006 at 08:27 AM..

Old 10-09-2006, 05:45 PM

60 posts, read 455,182 times
It'll still take more than 45 minutes, though, assuming he does get the direct train both ways.

You have to get *to* the train station. Then, that train gets in at Penn Station, which is at west 34th street between 7 and 8 avenues. Your husband has to get 8 blocks north and several (I dunno where 220 is exactly) east to arrive at his office. Probably he will want to connect from NJ transit to the MTA. Take a look at their website at: http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/ (broken link) Or if for some reason that link doesn't make it into my post, just google the MTA.

On the bright side, its probably still better than driving.

Old 10-09-2006, 06:24 PM

19 posts, read 140,766 times
Thanks... trains still have us lost, but looks like the bus (station right around the corner from a house we're considering) will be about an hour, takes him to port authority.. .8miles to his work from there... so probably an hour 20 or so door to door

Old 10-09-2006, 06:37 PM
ira

657 posts, read 3,931,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJbound View Post
Thanks... trains still have us lost, but looks like the bus (station right around the corner from a house we're considering) will be about an hour, takes him to port authority.. .8miles to his work from there... so probably an hour 20 or so door to door
Bus is a good option as long as you get to the city before 8am otherwise it's a nightmare. Lincoln Tunnel (that takes you from NJ to Manhattan) traffic gets really heavy after about 7:45 - 8 AM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: