U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2013, 03:17 AM

10 posts, read 14,200 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I'm from the Midwest and I recently bought an investment property in Nutley. The rents on Craigslist seemed attractive.

I'd like to ask the community what type of people generally rent or want to live in this town? Is it like a suburb anywhere else in the US - for access to good schools/more space for the money (relative to NYC)?

I've read some threads about how rents are crazy right now due to Sandy. A 3-2 in Nutley seems to be going for $1,800-2,000. Are these the post-Sandy crazy prices or are these near normal levels?

The large investment banks have been cutting operation staff. This must have had an impact on the back offices in Weehawken. Have other areas like North Bergen, Jersey City, and Hoboken been affected? And how are the surrounding areas like North Bergen and Hoboken, etc?

Is commuting to NYC doable? Google shows a trip to Manhattan being over 1 hour long; is this true?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 07:27 AM

6,883 posts, read 17,889,331 times
Commuters from the surburbs to the city prefer commuting by train. Nutley doesn't have a train station, so commuters must go to another town (and deal with any parking stress, such as full parking lots, parking fees, etc.), or take a bus to the city. There are a few commuter bus routes operated by DeCamp that go into the city. I think the bus trip is probably only about 40 minutes, but a commute could top an hour depending on where in the city one has to go (not everyone works in the bus terminal, obviously).

Fortunately for you, not all people looking for housing in Nutley are Manhattan commuters. More residents of Essex County work in Essex County than in NYC. So access to a train to the city might not be the top priority of people responding to your ad anyway.

A 3-2 for $1800-2000 doesn't seem outlandish. I don't keep track of rents in Nutley, so I'll suggest someone else chime in if they have an opinion.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:08 PM

191 posts, read 657,971 times
Not sure if you are aware - Hoffmann La Roche which is part located in Nutley and part in Clifton is closing their doors soon. They pay a lot of money to Nutley which helps to off-set property taxes - once they leave, Nutley will loose this money and there is a good chance that taxes will rise. You should keep this in mind when determining rent charges.

Concern growing in Nutley with Roche's departure imminent

As far as Nutley in general goes, I would say it's well-suited to families more than young adults due to not much nightlife other than going to local bars. Though there's no train station in town, it's a quick drive to the station in Clifton, there is a park and ride for the bus into the city by Route 3 and major highways are easily accessible. Overall, a well respected area and nice place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey