Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2006, 10:55 AM

2 posts, read 7,095 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I've read a lot of bad things about New Jersey (some of which sound more believable than others) and in particular Newark but i was just wondering what it's neighbor city Jersey City is like? I haven't heard as many bad comments about it as i have Newark and it looks pretty nice from the pics i've seen but obviously pictures don't say everything.

Thanks in advance,

Boycey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2006, 12:26 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Depends on what you're looking for. Jersey City is essentially a bedroom community for all of the folks who work in Manhattan and aren't willing or able to pay Manhattan rents. A number of the large corporations from NYC have also set up shop in Jersey City (Goldman Sachs, Merrill Lynch, etc), so it's becoming a big financial city.

IMHO, the house prices are absurd, but relative to Manhattan, they're "affordable". If you don't work in NYC or for one of the companies in Jersey City, there's no reason to live there- unless you're into overpriced housing, crappy schools, limited parking and marginal neighborhoods.

Bob

Old 10-14-2006, 12:20 AM

317 posts, read 1,229,562 times
Only if you are very young and want to be among the very young professionals in a very party town - which I still thinks looks a little city - it will not be for you. In fact, most of the kids that live there are singles who commute to the city. It is not a family town.

Old 10-15-2006, 07:53 AM

1 posts, read 3,335 times
Disagree completely with these posts (maybe because I'm coming from Manhattan and Manhattan prices!)

Stick to Jersey City downtown. Especially Van Vorst and Hamilton Park. These areas are historic, gorgeous — think a smaller version of brownstone-lined Washington Square in NYC. Paulus Hook used to be nice, but it has become victim to highrises. Prices are high, but they seem to be coming down. Schools are horrendous. As for a party town, it's not anymore. That sounds more like Hoboken (more bars per square ft than any other US city)

Old 10-15-2006, 09:06 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penandink View Post
Disagree completely with these posts (maybe because I'm coming from Manhattan and Manhattan prices!)

Stick to Jersey City downtown. Especially Van Vorst and Hamilton Park. These areas are historic, gorgeous — think a smaller version of brownstone-lined Washington Square in NYC. Paulus Hook used to be nice, but it has become victim to highrises. Prices are high, but they seem to be coming down. Schools are horrendous. As for a party town, it's not anymore. That sounds more like Hoboken (more bars per square ft than any other US city)
Where are prices coming down??? In that part of Jersey City a small railroad style one bedroom 'condo' in a restored tenement costs at least $380,000 with another $500 - $1,000 a month for HOA fees & RE Taxes. Rents are similarly as ridiculous close to if not over $2,000 a month. Trying to find a rental is ridiculous. Real Estate agents in downtown Jersey City think that they are renting apartments in Tribeca, Chelsea or the West Village. The Haugtiness & Arrogance may work in Manhattan, but many find it a huge turnoff and hugely offensive.

Why must the most expensive, overpriced, yuppified areas always be suggested with no realistic mention of the average price & rent of today (as opposed to 6 years ago). I looked at many apartments and grew up in this area so I am familiar with the real cost of things.

The high rises are even more ridiculous (try $800,000 and up) with another $6,000 a year in RE Taxes plus HOA fees.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:12 AM

17 posts, read 104,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
Where are prices coming down??? In that part of Jersey City a small railroad style one bedroom 'condo' in a restored tenement costs at least $380,000 with another $500 - $1,000 a month for HOA fees & RE Taxes. Rents are similarly as ridiculous close to if not over $2,000 a month. Trying to find a rental is ridiculous. Real Estate agents in downtown Jersey City think that they are renting apartments in Tribeca, Chelsea or the West Village. The Haugtiness & Arrogance may work in Manhattan, but many find it a huge turnoff and hugely offensive.

Why must the most expensive, overpriced, yuppified areas always be suggested with no realistic mention of the average price & rent of today (as opposed to 6 years ago). I looked at many apartments and grew up in this area so I am familiar with the real cost of things.

The high rises are even more ridiculous (try $800,000 and up) with another $6,000 a year in RE Taxes plus HOA fees.
and i wish they would stop building those nasty things. they are trying to spread that yuppie disease north into my union city. union city has a fairly low crime rate considering it has over 60,000 people in little more than a square mile, lower than yuppie hoboken, and i think it does not deserve the reputation has been given by the real estate corporations that are trying to urban cleanse it. and i unapologetically say this.

Old 11-16-2006, 02:53 PM

17 posts, read 74,852 times
Why don't people use the search function? There has to be 100 threads on jersey city alone.

Jersey city is either a overpriced safe boring crappy place to live, or a dirt poor, dangerous, boring crappy place to live.

and that pretty much sums up ALL of JC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey