Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 09:54 AM

14 posts, read 34,329 times

Advertisements

Still looking for a house. I've seen some decent listings in Wallington, NJ. Even some in East Rutherford. Trying to do some research on Wallington. Does anyone know how it is in terms of schools and safety? Of the things I've heard is that there is a very large Polish population so a lot of the schools have kids where English is not their first language. I don't know what the "good areas" of Wallington would be considered because the few times my husband and I have been there and drove around, it seems like we're in out and out East Rutherford, Wallington and Carlstadt constantly - meaning the towns intersect so much.

Where are you coming from? jersey city
Why are you moving? need safer area, better schools
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? i work in the flatiron district in manhattan, not too far from empire state bldg.

Will you buy or rent? hoping to buy
What is your budget ? $1300-$1400 a month
What kind of place are you looking for ? 2-3 bedroom house, low taxes

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? spouse and daughter (2 years)
Do you need/want good public schools? yes

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in : safe, good schools, clean, diverse, family-oriented

List three things that are important to you in order of importance: safety, schools, commute to nyc
[LEFT]
Read more: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...#ixzz2Rrry0CO1
[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 10:15 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,251,774 times
I don't know too much about the schools in Wallington, but there's definitely a large Polish population there. It's pretty blue collar, but safe (not sure where in JC you are living for comparison). check Spotcrime.com for crime reports. I live in the general area, and there's hardly anything I get notifications for, except late-night drunk drivers. .

Old 04-29-2013, 10:35 AM

14 posts, read 34,329 times
I am in JC Heights. When I first moved there in 1998 it seemed OK. Now I WANT OUT! Thanks! Do you know anything about the areas around Maple St, Wallington St, Anderson Ave and 1st St? These are the streets I've seen houses on. Thank you!

Old 04-29-2013, 11:48 AM

357 posts, read 1,026,302 times
Passaic river floods in wallington. Be careful. During the terrible flood last year wallington looked like a warzone with peoples belongings in the street in dumpsters.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:52 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,251,774 times
Wallington is going to be better than JC Heights... don't blame you for wanting to move. Sorry I don't know those streets specifically, but a friend of mine lives in the area and likes it; he's on one of the side streets which doesn't get a lot of traffic. I would just advise not selecting something that's right on the riverfront; flooding could be an issue.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:55 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,138,851 times
I used to work in Wallington about 10 years ago. Seemed like an OK town. I never felt unsafe there. I think it's primarily blue collar with a lot of multi-family houses.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:45 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,779,060 times
All of Wallington, Carlstadt, East Rutherford are ALL safe towns with decent schools. Sure, it isn't as high society and sprawling as Ridgewood or Wyckoff, but it is just as safe in my humble opinion.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:04 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,681,247 times
I haven't been there in a few years but I had an ex-boyfriend who had a house in Wallington and it was a nice area. Never felt unsafe at all, even walking his tiny yorkie at night. As far as the Polish population - one of my best friends is Polish and lives in Rutherford - grew up there and now bought her own home after she married there (non-polish husband). There is a LARGE Polish community but they are NOT an exclusive one. They welcome people of all ethnicities with open arms and are a very friendly group. All the people in her family (which is HUGE) speak both Polish and English perfectly. Even her mom and dad who came from Poland speak English very well so I don't think that should be something you should worry about. When they have parties (the Polish people really do throw the best ones!) there are children and adults there from just about every nationality you can think of that are friends with their children/grandchildren, etc. I wouldn't worry about your children being isolated at all - they are not like that and I know from first hand experience (from the last 20+ years of hanging out with them). I never felt unwelcomed, if anything, they always made me felt like part of the family from the minute I met them.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:22 PM

796 posts, read 1,161,842 times
Wallington is the most Polish town in America

Old 05-11-2013, 03:55 AM

61,629 posts, read 86,981,866 times
Huh?
List of U.S. cities with large Polish-American populations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Posen, Michigan 61.3%
Sharon, Wisconsin 53.7%
Bevent, Wisconsin 52.7%
Sloan, New York 46.8%
Dupont, Pennsylvania 46.6%
Wallington, New Jersey 45.5%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey