Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 10:07 PM

6 posts, read 43,787 times

Advertisements

My fiancee and I recently purchased a home in Atlantic Highlands, about a block from First Ave. We fell in love w/ the views, main street, restaurants, and proximity to both NYC and the beaches....However, I know few people from the area, and have yet to hear much from actual residents about how life is within the town.

What is there to do in town? How tightly knit is the community? Is it primarily white/blue collar types? How is the library? What are the pro/cons of the area? How do you like it there?

We initially had planned on moving to Pt. Pleasant, but the 35min ferry ride to the city sealed the deal for us. I work in the financial services field, and access to Wall Street was a prerequisite for any area we were looking at. How is the ferry ride?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 11:20 AM

ttt..anyone?

Old 08-26-2007, 12:01 PM

11,339 posts, read 16,693,938 times
This has been a pretty common question here, AFTER people have bought the home.

Hate to knock you, but why would you buy and then ask questions about the neighborhood and ferry ride to the city, which is a prerequisite for you?

I would have thought you should have ask questions first, or at least get there early morning and try the ferry yourself heading into the city.

(Oh BTW..not sure if it happens in the Highlands, but in other areas during the winter the ferry will shut down if there's to much ice and they feel it's not safe).

Old 08-26-2007, 01:05 PM

Perhaps I know a little more than I let on....I'm not moving here from Kentucky w/ a straw hat while chewing on some straw from Grandpappy's hay field. I was born/raised in Central Jersey, and didn't jump into this situation on a whim.

I have friends in/around the area that work on Wall Street, but many of them take the Belford ferry. I've heard the AH ferry is nice, comfortable, and quick...generally from people who were trying to sell me on the town (buddies and coworkers) but I always like to inquire, and get opinions from a broad source (hence my post here).

I'm not here looking for reassurance, as i've made my bed..and the die is cast at this point,...I was just hoping to get a little info from people who are more familiar w/ the town than myself. Since the home is already purchased, should I just forget all my unanswered questions?

Old 08-26-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyPete View Post
Perhaps I know a little more than I let on....I'm not moving here from Kentucky w/ a straw hat while chewing on some straw from Grandpappy's hay field. I was born/raised in Central Jersey, and didn't jump into this situation on a whim.

I have friends in/around the area that work on Wall Street, but many of them take the Belford ferry. I've heard the AH ferry is nice, comfortable, and quick...generally from people who were trying to sell me on the town (buddies and coworkers) but I always like to inquire, and get opinions from a broad source (hence my post here).

I'm not here looking for reassurance, as i've made my bed..and the die is cast at this point,...I was just hoping to get a little info from people who are more familiar w/ the town than myself. Since the home is already purchased, should I just forget all my unanswered questions?
Well then, I would highly recommend calling the Ferry to see what their cancellation record is over the last 3 years.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:24 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,773,822 times
PeteyPete - I'm not sure why MPBsr is being so negative towards you, strange?

I've taken that ferry many times with no problem.

Well I'm here to say, congrats on moving to a great town! I lived there for ten years up until six months ago and loved it the whole time I lived there. There's tons to do in the area and most people are friendly. Red Bank is close by to shop, cafes, bars etc... Nice little theater on First Ave, all the restaurants are good there and the hair salon is great too. There is a park not to far away where you can walk or bike. Hartshorne Woods Park (broken link)

You are also close to Seabright, Monmouth Beach and Long Branch, where there's beaches, restaurants, bars and shopping. They just redid the beach area in Long Branch, check it out.

If you need a couple good doctor recommendations in the area, I can help you out just let me know.

There is a Foodtown right there on hwy 36 but if you don't mind driving a few miles the Shoprite on 35 is much better. Also, there is a Whole Foods and Wegmans not too far away on 35. Ask someone how to get there the back way, it's easy.

The library kind of stinks but there's a great one in Middletown that's only a year or two old.

The town is a mix of blue collar and when you get up in the hills you would probably find more white collar. People in the shore areas like to go out, eat out and enjoy. At least that was my experience there when I moved from Edison to Atlantic Highlands. After living there you will never want to live over the bridge again!

If you need more info., let me know. Happy to help and good luck to you!

Old 08-26-2007, 07:05 PM

Sorry if it seemed that way.

I'm just shocked that people who are looking for a major life change and investment ask questions AFTER they buy. That's all.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
PeteyPete - I'm not sure why MPBsr is being so negative towards you, strange?

I've taken that ferry many times with no problem.

Well I'm here to say, congrats on moving to a great town! I lived there for ten years up until six months ago and loved it the whole time I lived there. There's tons to do in the area and most people are friendly. Red Bank is close by to shop, cafes, bars etc... Nice little theater on First Ave, all the restaurants are good there and the hair salon is great too. There is a park not to far away where you can walk or bike. Hartshorne Woods Park (broken link)

You are also close to Seabright, Monmouth Beach and Long Branch, where there's beaches, restaurants, bars and shopping. They just redid the beach area in Long Branch, check it out.

If you need a couple good doctor recommendations in the area, I can help you out just let me know.

There is a Foodtown right there on hwy 36 but if you don't mind driving a few miles the Shoprite on 35 is much better. Also, there is a Whole Foods and Wegmans not too far away on 35. Ask someone how to get there the back way, it's easy.

The library kind of stinks but there's a great one in Middletown that's only a year or two old.

The town is a mix of blue collar and when you get up in the hills you would probably find more white collar. People in the shore areas like to go out, eat out and enjoy. At least that was my experience there when I moved from Edison to Atlantic Highlands. After living there you will never want to live over the bridge again!

If you need more info., let me know. Happy to help and good luck to you!
Rapture, thanks for all the great info! I haven't finished moving my stuff in yet, but if Julia's and Copper Canyon are any indication as to the quality of restaurants/bars right in town, I'm going to love it here. I've gone into a few of the small cafe's and notice the staff greeting the patrons by name...getting them "their regular"...I feel like it's Mayberry from the Andy Griffith Show.

I'm living off W Highlands ave...a block from 1st....no views of the water unfortunately, but it's only a five minute walk to the Marina.

Thanks again for the info!

Old 08-27-2007, 05:36 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,773,822 times
When I moved there not long after I could go to any resturant, store etc... and run into someone I knew. It was nice and did have that small town appeal. If I ever move back to NJ, that would be where I would go, loved it there. Jon Bon Jovi & Bruce Springsteen don't live down the street for nothing, it's a great place.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:49 PM

13 posts, read 41,515 times
Default Long ago I lived in AH

can't add anything to current state of atlantic highlands. but some of you may find it interesting that i live in my grandmothers bungalow from 1947 to 1951.

Oh, in the mid 1960's I used to park at a site on a high part of town that overlook the bay and NYC. Is that a favorite of today's teens? John
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey