Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 04:17 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,761,631 times

Advertisements

NJ Lawmakers Seek to Raise Smoking Age to 21 | NBC New York

Quote:
Two New Jersey lawmakers are pushing to make it illegal for anyone under 21 to purchase cigarettes, joining efforts in nearby New York City.

State Sen. Richard Codey and Assemblyman Ruben Ramos were appearing at New York's City Hall Thursday with City Council Speaker Christine Quinn, who recently announced her own intention to raise the smoking age in New York.

The New Jersey legislation would raise the age from 19 to 21 statewide.

“Anything we can do to prevent someone from becoming a new smoker and avoid smoking's harmful effects on them and society is a step in the right direction,” Codey said in a statement. “For laws such as this where it would be so easy to cross state lines to purchase tobacco, neighboring states need to work together and that is what we are doing today.”

The City Council says the city legislation, which would raise the smoking age from 18 to 21, will go for a vote by the end of the summer.

Officials cited a 2010 New Jersey Youth Tobacco Survey that said 14 percent of New Jersey high school students smoke, and of those smokers, 5 percent reported smoking on a regular basis.

Let people do what they want to do is what I say. Its 2013, everyone is well aware that smoking is bad for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 04:20 PM

11,336 posts, read 16,689,377 times
So if young people under 21 aren't smart enough to make a decison to smoke, guess we need to raise the voting age also.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:11 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,123,839 times
That is just embarrassing.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:29 PM

5,770 posts, read 16,577,499 times
Fine with me. The people that I know that regularly smoke aren't really far up there in the food chain to begin with. In other words not the sharpest stick in the barrel.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:49 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,199,104 times
Excellent, more customers for my black market ciggy business.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:04 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,675,525 times
trying.......trying.......trying......nope. don't give a sh**

wtf can afford cigs anyway?

Old 05-17-2013, 06:18 AM

614 posts, read 1,375,405 times
Default Not going to help

So if they raise the age that will stop young kids from smoking? Drinking age is 21 and somehow kids get liquor illegally.....so tell me how things will help?

Old 05-17-2013, 08:31 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,681,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Fine with me. The people that I know that regularly smoke aren't really far up there in the food chain to begin with. In other words not the sharpest stick in the barrel.
Looks like the same can be said for non-smokers with that ignorant comment since you choose to base your opinion on an entire group of people based on a few that you know. Last I checked Veterinary Medicine colleges are among the hardest to get into and last I checked my diploma says Doctor of Veterinary Medicine. And I smoke. There are a lot of very unhealthy things people do all the time that are just as bad that I do not do. My personal favorite was a guy who came up to me while I was smoking to lecture me on the dangers of cigarettes - he was about 350 lbs.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:50 AM

13,399 posts, read 28,712,493 times
lawmakers need to stop nannying and attend to issues such as state budget.....property taxes....etc
If one can join the military and have a rifle strapped on their back, if they can legally enter into legal agreements such as credit cards, loans, vote, if they commit a crime they are tried as adults they should be allowed to buy cigarettes if they choose....either back off or raise the age of becoming a legal adult to 21.

Smoking is soooooooooooooo bad for you yet they stop short of allowing it to be grown and sold....beause it makes the states too much money in the form of taxes...such BS

Old 05-17-2013, 11:00 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,962,665 times
The smoking age was raised to 19 in NJ? I totally missed that.

When they say that the smoking age in NJ is 19 (or 21), does that mean that you have to be that age to PURCHASE cigarettes, or to both purchase AND smoke/possess?

When I was in high school the smoking age was 18. What I always heard was that you had to be 18 to PURCHASE, but that you could still smoke if you were younger than that. When I was a freshman, there was a kid in one of my classes who thought he was Schneider from One Day at a Time and had a pack rolled up in his shirt sleeve, along with a cigarette tucked behind one ear. No teacher ever did anything about it or reported it. And under-18 kids smoked at lunch and after school across the street (no smoking on school grounds, but across the street was OK) and they were never approached by any cops (the station was right there). So I'm assuming that means, at least back then, that the smoking age referred to 'cigarette PURCHASING age', but you could still smoke if you weren't of age. I also remember hoards of under-18 high school kids in diners and at Headquarters Plaza in Mo'town (you were allowed to smoke indoors there, once upon a time), cops everywhere, and no one said or questioned anything. Has that changed?

I can see how raising the age to 19 is a good idea because it makes it harder for all high school kids to have access. But raising it to 21 seems pointless to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey