Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2013, 08:30 PM

2 posts, read 1,605 times

Advertisements

I'm a recent college graduate beginning work in Newark in August. I have a roommate, possibly two and we have a budget of $2600 for two people and $3900 for three people. It's highly possibly that all will have cars (so 2 or 3 cars total). We're looking to find the best location close to nightlife, restaurants, shopping- overall a younger crowd. We've looked in Jersey city - specifically near exchange place path and grove street, but curious about the other surrounding areas in Jersey City (Downtown, The heights, etc). What are the areas like? Is it likely for us to find a place that would allow parking for two or three cars? If not, where would we find parking? Are there other areas within a 20/30 minute drive from Newark that are younger areas? Any help would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 08:53 PM

131 posts, read 274,127 times
Montclair? Younger vibe, lots of restaurants, shopping, artsy vibe, I think it would be affordable on that budget...also there's a train to NYC as well.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,605 times
checked out montclair- there definitely is all that, but I spoke with a few locals and they said there wasn't much of a night life/younger crowd that goes out in the evenings. Is this true??

Old 05-27-2013, 09:52 PM

385 posts, read 1,175,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmove_ View Post
checked out montclair- there definitely is all that, but I spoke with a few locals and they said there wasn't much of a night life/younger crowd that goes out in the evenings. Is this true??
i disagree, montclair is a college town with some nightlife and a large young crowd. montclair seems good for you, and there are many restaurants, and to get to newark, you can either drive down bloomfield ave, or take njt bus or train.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:45 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,667,644 times
I think that Montclair, Jersey City(check out Newport too, cheaper and better parking) and Hoboken are your best bets. I'm partial to Hoboken since I spent many years in my 20's there. Parking in Hoboken is atrocious to say the least( 50,000 residents and 8,000 parking spots).

But in terms of Nightlife you can't get better than JC or Hoboken, IMO (Montclair is a distant, distant, distant 3rd).

Old 05-28-2013, 04:49 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,454,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmove_ View Post

Having spent a lot of time in Montclair, I can tell you although it is diverse, and has so much going for it, the nightlife is more geared towards young families. There is not much of a bar scene, and most restaurants are BYOB. The college age crowd tend to gravitate to NYC, JC or Hoboken for a bar scene. That being said, there is plenty of things to do in Montclair besides bar hopping. (Shopping, concerts, art galleries, lecture series, community volunteer opportunities, outdoor recreational activities, etc.) It really depends on what specifically you are looking for, whether or not you'll be content with Montclair.

KoalaNJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey