Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 08:42 PM

53 posts, read 224,770 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate to Cherry Hill area to follow my job. I have read great things about Mt Laurel/ Marlton/ Moorsetown/ Haddonfield on this forum, so I'm going to concentrate on these areas to purchase a home (ideal is $450 to $500K but max budget is $700K). I'm glad Philly is close, but I do not want to live in Philly. South Jersey, here I come!
Are there 'nicer' neighborhood pockets in Mt Laurel, in Marlton, and in Moorsetown? Or are they generally all nice? I really like the feel of northern Bergen County (Alpine, Closter, Edgewater), but acutally am coming from a rental in uppereast side in NYC. Would you recommend one town over the other? I'm trying to get a better feel for the area and I'd appreicate any advice. TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 10:07 PM

299 posts, read 1,333,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeLatte View Post
I am looking to relocate to Cherry Hill area to follow my job. I have read great things about Mt Laurel/ Marlton/ Moorsetown/ Haddonfield on this forum, so I'm going to concentrate on these areas to purchase a home (ideal is $450 to $500K but max budget is $700K). I'm glad Philly is close, but I do not want to live in Philly. South Jersey, here I come!
Are there 'nicer' neighborhood pockets in Mt Laurel, in Marlton, and in Moorsetown? Or are they generally all nice? I really like the feel of northern Bergen County (Alpine, Closter, Edgewater), but acutally am coming from a rental in uppereast side in NYC. Would you recommend one town over the other? I'm trying to get a better feel for the area and I'd appreicate any advice. TIA.
IMO look into Medford Lakes or Moorestown ( more expensive). Since I haven't been there for a few years I'll let another poster give you specific details but in general those two may be just what you are looking for.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:09 PM

859 posts, read 3,321,255 times
You can definately get something nice in Mount Laurel for that price. We have a 4 bedroom and nice yard and i think our house is valued at $385,000-ish. If you wanna spend more there are McMansion homes in other sections, Mount Laurel is very large. Marlton is pretty much the same, 600+ if you're looking for more of a McMansion, but if you want an older, more homey 3 to 4 bedroom you can get it around 400.

Moorestown is really where you would have to spend closer to your max range I believe. Moorestown doesn't really have an alpine feel, it has more of a Ridgewood type feel if that makes any sense. It has the little town center. (I really love Moorestown, I think it's a nice community )

There are parts of Mount Laurel and Marlton that can be Alpine esque on a slightly lower scale, but there are parts that are nothing like it--it's all nice, but some parts are older than others. You gotta remember that Mt Laurel is huge. I can't think of the names of the fancy fancy sections off hand maybe someone else can jump in.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:12 AM

7 posts, read 39,863 times
If you're looking for a rustic woodsy setting, Medford Lakes might just be a good place to check out.

I lived there only 2 years, but I had friends there growing up, and still do. You cannot even compare the homes there to Mt. Laurel, or even Medford, which is in the same zip, but the homes are slightly higher in Medford Lakes. But the value comes from the community itself, not the material value of a home. Medford Lakes started as a resort community in the late 20s or so, and was built with smaller homes.

However, the town maintained its resort-like feel, is very tight knit, and has numerous activities. Let's put it this way, for the $350 / year colony club dues, you get 100x the amount of bang for your buck than you'd get in a municipal govt for recreation. It is run by the residents.

We moved from a brand spanking new 2800 sqft home in Woolwich, to a smaller 4 bed ranch in ML, and never looked back. Sure, occasionally we missed the closet space, or a few things, but the community, activities, and just general quality of life made up for this 10 fold. You could easily find something in your price range. We spent Saturdays at Lake Mishemokwa with our daughter - then 2 years old. Participated in Canoe Carnival. Some of these things you just wouldn't find in the same package elsewhere.

If I ever have to move back to NJ, this is where I will live. I even still own a home, although I am listing it for sale/rent. But if for some reason we can't sell, we'll probably be back.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:53 PM

5 posts, read 18,005 times
Hello Cafelatte,
The responding realtors can assist you with finding the right location however, if you need help with obtaining a mortgage, I'll be glad to help in any way I can. I'm a Mortgage Banker and a Branch Manager. With all the mortgage programs that are available today the best thing for you to consider is to have a Cost Analysis prepared. Get pre-approved, into the best mortgage program that fits your overall financial well-being with the right rate and the right term as well.
You might want to consider new construction. For with the inflated new home inventory at hand and builders trying to maintain the payments on their warehouse line, you may just get a great deal on a brand new home in lieu of an existing home. Moreover, the appreciation on the new home should be better than an existing one.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:18 PM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeLatte View Post

I made a lengthy post here that I will copy & paste in..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
The areas you've picked are close to shopping and the highways.

We were out that way yesterday, driving on route 73 from route 70. The traffic was pretty thick, and while it's not where I would want to live, I can understand others liking it due to the location and being so close to everything.

You'll have the Moorestown mall, along with the other strip malls behind it (Circuit City, Best Buy, Staples, the only Comp USA left in NJ, Mikasa, Lines & Things, Ross, 2 craft stores as well as Shop Rite, plus tons of other stores) then you are only a few minutes from the Cherry Hill Mall, BJ's & Costco wholesale clubs; a Super Target. as well as tons of stores on Rt 73 & rt 38. I drive about 40 minutes just for the shopping.

You are also right by the Turnpike and 295. The Philly airport is very close and for the times you have to go to Jersey City, you won't have to drive far to get to the highway.

Map of Moorestown. This will show you how close everything is. I used the mall as the starting point.

Here is the Cherry Hill Mall area

If you look at this map of Mount Laurel, you will see Centerton Rd. This is a large strip mall with Costco wholesale club, Super Target, Bed Bath Beyond, Wegmann's & Acme (food stores)

If you travel south down rt 73, there is the Promenade at Sagemore, which has Smith & Hawkins, Victorias Secret, and more shopping. There are also other strip malls around it.

Over by the Promenade at Marlton is Virtua West Jersey Hospital, which is a great hospital. I live about 45 minutes from it and use it for my back surgeries and if I had to be brought to an Emergency Room, that's where I would go.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:35 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,602,023 times
Cherry Hill mall is pretty ghetto... lots of Crip and Blood activity there.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:32 AM

Great advices! Thank you. I am still trying to decide between Cherry Hill and Mt. Laurel. I figured out from Google map that it would take about the same time to get to work from both places.
I just realized that Cherry Hill is in Camden County and Mt. Laurel is in Burlington county. Is there a great diff in property tax? School system?
I was considering RENTING for a year just to get a better sense of the entire area. One place I'm interested in actually on Rt 70 in Cherry Hill. When I drove by one time, Rt 70, both ways, had heavy traffic. Is Rt 70 generally congested?

Old 01-17-2008, 10:49 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,602,023 times
As a general rule Camden county has much higher property taxes.

Of all those areas you listed, I'd go with Moorestown.

Yes, Route 70 is usually a cluster**** during rush hour.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:03 AM

thanks for the traffic tip on Rt. 70! I guess living around that area is a no go. I'm going to check out Moorestown as well. So many on this forum seem to like it so much! thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey