Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 09:34 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
The interesting thing here is that blind taste tests consistently debunk the fact that any of these alcohols are distinguishable from one another even when they are compared side by side and drank(drunk?) straight( without ice or mixer). Now I know everyone claims they can tell the difference but the real research in this area does not lie, it's all marketing.

The real payoff for ordering top shelf is the esteem and lifestyle association that you get from saying Grey Goose versus Well. The consumer is actually not the victim here, since they get their payoff regardless of what is actually in the drink, the big liquor brands are. They spend millions of dollars building their brands so that consumers will pay a premium for their product and bars are making money off that and giving nothing in return. That is as wrong as the knock off fashion items they sell on Canal street and out of countless private residences in NJ.
Can't speak for others but for me the difference in the vodka comes in the way it's distilled.... not the taste because I don't think vodka has that much taste...the house swill will usually give me a whopper of head ache next morning...and that's only after having two
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 09:41 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Can there be much doubt that they were carrying out corporate policy established by the company that holds the franchise for all of those locations?

i doubt that corporate was aware of this behavior (if it did happen). im not being sarcastic either (which seems to have become the thing to do in this thread). fridays central has too much to lose to institute a policy of fraud across all its restaurants.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:46 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,668,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Can't speak for others but for me the difference in the vodka comes in the way it's distilled.... not the taste because I don't think vodka has that much taste...the house swill will usually give me a whopper of head ache next morning...and that's only after having two
There is definitely truth to this(and a coupe of studies to back it up) however the quantity of what you drink has much more of an impact on your potential hangover than the quality of what you drink. For instance Vodka brands like Tito's, Svedka, and Smirnoff all cost significantly less than Grey Goose, Kettle One or Belvedere but have an equal distillation process and similar purity characteristics. Furthermore clear liquors are found to give less of a hangover than brown liquors and red wine.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:49 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,966,421 times
I'm surprised there weren't more Morristown joints on that list.

Also, are they going to do a similar sting in South Jersey and the shore scene? I think I would give some of the shore places a little bit more of a break than other parts of the state because of Sandy.

Anyway, I only really came into this thread to say this:

TGI FRAUDAYS!!!

Old 05-23-2013, 10:16 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
There is definitely truth to this(and a coupe of studies to back it up) however the quantity of what you drink has much more of an impact on your potential hangover than the quality of what you drink. For instance Vodka brands like Tito's, Svedka, and Smirnoff all cost significantly less than Grey Goose, Kettle One or Belvedere but have an equal distillation process and similar purity characteristics. Furthermore clear liquors are found to give less of a hangover than brown liquors and red wine.
Yes, I hear you on the distillation Smirnoff or Stoli is fine by me.. but I don't think that house swill Nikoff's has the same distillation
If I have only two vodka drinks made with that stuff I get a pounding headace.

I usually order house cabernet and if in the summer I want a vodka drink I'm quite sure the place we frequent does not put the cheap stuff in the empty high shelf bottles

Old 05-23-2013, 11:31 AM

1,562 posts, read 2,152,796 times
Pour Smirnoff through a Brita* filter 3 or 4 times and voila, you have Belvedere/Grey Goose/Ketel One.

* For those that want to try this, make sure the Brita filter is not new. Must be a seasoned filter or at least run water through it 5 or 6 times.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:34 AM

1,562 posts, read 2,152,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
Pour Smirnoff through a Brita* filter 3 or 4 times and voila, you have Belvedere/Grey Goose/Ketel One.

* For those that want to try this, make sure the Brita filter is not new. Must be a seasoned filter or at least run water through it 5 or 6 times.
Disclaimer: I don't own a restaurant or serve this to my friends. Please do not raid me.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:06 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
The interesting thing here is that blind taste tests consistently debunk the fact that any of these alcohols are distinguishable from one another even when they are compared side by side and drank(drunk?) straight( without ice or mixer). Now I know everyone claims they can tell the difference but the real research in this area does not lie, it's all marketing.

Actually, I can distinguish Grey Goose, simply because I don't like it, regardless of its supposed snob appeal.

There is some kind of, "extra", taste in Grey Goose that just isn't present with the usual, "taste-free", vodkas. I can't quite describe the taste of Grey Goose, but suffice it to say that I don't like it, and can distinguish it from others. It has a clean, neutral taste, and does not produce headaches.

For those who have a Costco membership, the best buy in town is their own Kirkland American Vodka (distilled six times), which is less than $14 for 1.75 liters.
It has a clean, neutral taste, and does not produce headaches.

Last edited by Retriever; 05-23-2013 at 12:24 PM..

Old 05-23-2013, 12:16 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,668,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Actually, I can distinguish Grey Goose, simply because I don't like it, regardless of its supposed snob appeal.

There is some kind of, "extra", taste in Grey Goose that just isn't present with the usual, "taste-free", vodkas. I can't quite describe the taste of Grey Goose, but suffice it to say that I don't like it, and can distinguish it from others.

For those who have a Costco membership, the best buy in town is their own Kirkland American Vodka (distilled six times), which is less than $14 for 1.75 liters.
I love a good Pepsi challenge. Next time you are at a bar( one that you know doesn't monkey with their bottles), ask the bartender to pour you five 1/4 shots of different kinds of vodka(5 rr more choices is essential to take as much luck out of the equation as possible). Taste all five. If you can pick out the Grey Goose I will eat my hat.

That said I am excited to try Kirkland Vodka! I had no idea they made one! Thanks!

Old 05-23-2013, 12:21 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
I'm surprised there weren't more Morristown joints on that list.

Also, are they going to do a similar sting in South Jersey and the shore scene? I think I would give some of the shore places a little bit more of a break than other parts of the state because of Sandy.

Anyway, I only really came into this thread to say this:

TGI FRAUDAYS!!!
i wonder why they are listed so many times there. i wonder if its because each one got complaints or someone decided to target a bunch of fridays in a territory. my guess is that this type of activity is rampant more among independent establishments than chains. i feel confident that a chain would never make fraud of this nature an official policy. however, independents dont have any oversight and this seems like easy money for a shrewd (or desperate) owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey