Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2013, 08:41 PM

15 posts, read 49,803 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on a multi-day trip to NYC from the Lehigh Valley soon and was looking into taking NJ Transit rail. The Transit website is being unsurprisingly unhelpful so I'm hoping someone here can direct me. Really any of the lines that run West-East will work.

I can see where overnight parking it allowed and charged for but are there any stations with long-term/overnight parking? A deck? Would one be safer than another? Obviously any unattended parking comes with some risk but I'd like to try and make an informed decision.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 08:50 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,049 times
Check High Bridge. I know the train goes to Newark Penn and you switch there to go right into NYC Penn.

I don't know about parking there though.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:01 PM

181 posts, read 1,121,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Check High Bridge. I know the train goes to Newark Penn and you switch there to go right into NYC Penn.

I don't know about parking there though.
if one of your travel days are on the weekend High Bridge may not work as service at this station are M-F only and less feq then if went and parked in Raritan.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:05 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macpat55 View Post
if one of your travel days are on the weekend High Bridge may not work as service at this station are M-F only and less feq then if went and parked in Raritan.
Good to know. Thank you.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:54 PM

385 posts, read 1,175,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knb23 View Post
I'm planning on a multi-day trip to NYC from the Lehigh Valley soon and was looking into taking NJ Transit rail. The Transit website is being unsurprisingly unhelpful so I'm hoping someone here can direct me. Really any of the lines that run West-East will work.

I can see where overnight parking it allowed and charged for but are there any stations with long-term/overnight parking? A deck? Would one be safer than another? Obviously any unattended parking comes with some risk but I'd like to try and make an informed decision.

Thanks for your help!
i wouldn't look at high bridge, there isn't much weekend service, and i don't think there's much parking.

depending on how far you are willing to drive, i'd look at WLABT - New Jersey Transit Commuter Parking in The White Lot at TD Bank Ballpark in bridgewater. to get there from lehigh valley, take 78 east to 287 to bridgewater. you then take the raritan valley line train to newark, and transfer to either the path to wtc or the northeast corridor or coast line nj transit trains to penn station.

or park at summit lot 14 New Jersey Transit an take nj transit m&e line to nyc direct, but that lot may be full.

you could park at millington station, and take the train direct to the city, though there is limited direct service on weekends, and you may need to transfer at summit. millington is by i-78 exit 36. look Public Transportation. on that line, you could park in lyons, the stop before millington, there is info here Park America Inc., Parking Management, Consultant and Services from park america inc. parkamerica.net. there is free weekend parking according to the njt website.

if you are not going on weekends, and you are willing to take a long train ride with transfer, but depending on where in the lehigh valley (such as if you live in the slate belt) you live, not drive far, look at hackettstown, which has free parking. the first train is 30 minutes, wait 5 minutes, transfer at dover, the next train is 1 hour 15 min.

or closer on that line, look at mount arlington, which has a large lot which is free, and the first train is only 10 minutes, or netcong or lake hopatcong, or denville, where you pay to park, but it is a direct train that is just over an hour, depending on what train. others from denville can be 1.5 hours.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:15 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,452,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slope95 View Post
i wouldn't look at high bridge, there isn't much weekend service, and i don't think there's much parking.

depending on how far you are willing to drive, i'd look at WLABT - New Jersey Transit Commuter Parking in The White Lot at TD Bank Ballpark in bridgewater. to get there from lehigh valley, take 78 east to 287 to bridgewater. you then take the raritan valley line train to newark, and transfer to either the path to wtc or the northeast corridor or coast line nj transit trains to penn station.

or park at summit lot 14 New Jersey Transit an take nj transit m&e line to nyc direct, but that lot may be full.

you could park at millington station, and take the train direct to the city, though there is limited direct service on weekends, and you may need to transfer at summit. millington is by i-78 exit 36. look Public Transportation. on that line, you could park in lyons, the stop before millington, there is info here Park America Inc., Parking Management, Consultant and Services from park america inc. parkamerica.net. there is free weekend parking according to the njt website.

if you are not going on weekends, and you are willing to take a long train ride with transfer, but depending on where in the lehigh valley (such as if you live in the slate belt) you live, not drive far, look at hackettstown, which has free parking. the first train is 30 minutes, wait 5 minutes, transfer at dover, the next train is 1 hour 15 min.

or closer on that line, look at mount arlington, which has a large lot which is free, and the first train is only 10 minutes, or netcong or lake hopatcong, or denville, where you pay to park, but it is a direct train that is just over an hour, depending on what train. others from denville can be 1.5 hours.

The OP needs to contact whomever operates the specific parking lot they are contemplating using, as many lots do not permit overnight parking. That info can be found here: New Jersey Transit Some locations, such as Millington are by annual permit only. (street parking is available, but I am not certain as to the ability for extended or overnight street parking) In Dover most lots do not allow parking after 2am, though one lot does allow overnight parking if you have a special monthly overnight permit.

Also the OP needs to check the train schedules, as many of the stations have limited service on weekends, esp. weekend eves.

KoalaNJ

Last edited by KoalaNJ; 05-24-2013 at 10:16 PM.. Reason: add additional info.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:56 AM

15 posts, read 49,803 times
OP again-- thanks for the replies!

I can check NJ transit for schedules and allowance of overnight parking-- that's not the question.

Is anyone aware of a deck (usually have a gate= a little safer for extended parking) or a designated "long-term" (overnight) lot where I'm least likely to come back and find my car broken into?

Where I'm from this is fairly common on the transit lines but I'm beginning to think not so much in NJ...

Old 05-25-2013, 08:43 AM

385 posts, read 1,175,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knb23 View Post
OP again-- thanks for the replies!

I can check NJ transit for schedules and allowance of overnight parking-- that's not the question.

Is anyone aware of a deck (usually have a gate= a little safer for extended parking) or a designated "long-term" (overnight) lot where I'm least likely to come back and find my car broken into?

Where I'm from this is fairly common on the transit lines but I'm beginning to think not so much in NJ...
i'd say on the raritan valley line, though it is not a deck, bridgewater has the largest lot, that is designed for extended parking. you'll be safe there. depending on how far you want to drive, the metropark station in woodbridge has 2 huge decks, and is on a direct line, the nec, though it is 1 hour from easton (you take 78, to 287 south to route 1 north to the parkway north to metropark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey