Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2013, 09:27 AM

2 posts, read 5,385 times

Advertisements

My family of 5 is considering a move from Oklahoma to New Jersey. I've never had a strong desire to move to the east coast, but I have an amazing job opportunity and am seriously considering it. I know nothing about the region and don't even know anyone from here. I filled out the new resident Q&A and I'm also interested if anyone from Oklahoma or the midwest has insights into the culture differences. I've lived in Oklahoma my whole life and I love the quality of life, cheap housing (you can live like a king on a modest salary), very caring community, slower paced transactions (people don't start talking business until you've warmed up to them) and natural hospitality. I feel like these are the areas where my family will need to mentally prepare for differences (not saying it's wrong, just different).

In addition, for longtime NJ residents, what communities are near Morris Plains that would be best to raise a family and enjoy a good quality of life and is safe.

Also, I googled the town name, but am having trouble finding good sites with this info. Have any favorite websites about the area?

Thanks in advance!

Where are you coming from? Suburb of Oklahoma City
Why are you moving? New job
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? Morris Plains

Will you buy or rent? Planning on buying
What is your budget? ~500,000 .. having a bit of sticker shock from Oklahoma, but I think this is amount is reasonable with my salary
What kind of place are you looking for? 3+ bedrooms, safe community

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? spouse, 3 kids (ages: 8, 7 and 1)
Do you need/want good public schools? In our community in Oklahoma public schools are newer and test better than private, but I want to be sure my kids are getting a solid education. Am curious what the options are and if charter, magnet, public or private are all about the same or if one is better.

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in: Would like to live in a neighborhood with families with young children, nearby parks, things to do. We also love culture and the arts. Safety is a top priority too.

List four things that are important to you in order of importance.
1. Family oriented
2. Charming, beautiful area
3. Proximity to Morris Plains
4. Updated construction

Read more: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...#ixzz2UJi7lKN0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 11:09 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
Most of that area is pretty nice. I would start nearby with Morris Plains itself, Madison, Denville. Good schools, lots to do in the area, close to work and to Morristown

Old 05-25-2013, 11:43 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,965,783 times
Agree with the above.

Morris Plains, Madison and Denville are all family oriented and have cute down towns, and Madison and Denville are both short commutes to Morris Plains.

I'd add Randolph to that list. No real down town, but still a beautiful, charming area in my opinion, good schools, also pretty close to Morris Plains, plus you'll probably get more house for your money there.

All four towns are a short drive Morristown for the arts & culture (and dining and entertainment and history) it has to offer.

And that whole area is chock full of parks and recreational areas.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:43 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,909,084 times
If you decide to move here--welcome, but aren't you going to miss the Oklahoma Pizza?

Old 05-25-2013, 04:49 PM

75 posts, read 221,493 times
East hanover is great and close and has lower taxes but a $500k budget won't get you too much.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:51 PM

385 posts, read 1,175,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
Agree with the above.

Morris Plains, Madison and Denville are all family oriented and have cute down towns, and Madison and Denville are both short commutes to Morris Plains.

I'd add Randolph to that list. No real down town, but still a beautiful, charming area in my opinion, good schools, also pretty close to Morris Plains, plus you'll probably get more house for your money there.

All four towns are a short drive Morristown for the arts & culture (and dining and entertainment and history) it has to offer.

And that whole area is chock full of parks and recreational areas.
yes, these are all options. morristown, the town next to morris plains is home to a national park and a nice downtown, but there are more options elsewhere. madison could be an idea, it has a nice downtown, and supermarkets, and is convenient, or even morris plains itself. denville is also nice, though a bit more rural. you could also consider rockaway or mendham or bernardsville. in madison, you could look at 56 Niles Avenue, Madison NJ - Trulia and 23 Niles Avenue, Madison NJ - Trulia and 34 Niles Avenue, Madison NJ - Trulia. in morris plains you could look at 40 Tarn Drive, Morris Plains NJ - Trulia and 24 Southwood Drive, Morris Plains NJ - Trulia. in denville, look at 188 Casterline Road, Denville NJ - Trulia and 74 Cooper Road, Denville NJ - Trulia and 63 North Shore Road, Denville NJ - Trulia. in rockaway, you can look at 17 Miami Trail, Rockaway NJ - Trulia and 45 Mohawk Avenue, Rockaway NJ - Trulia and 15 Phillip Drive, Rockaway NJ - Trulia and 10 Iverson Court, Rockaway NJ - Trulia.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:18 AM

2 posts, read 5,385 times
Thanks everyone -- this is very helpful. And I'm not sure how I will get over Oklahoma's pizza.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:33 AM

171 posts, read 446,732 times
Default Good luck

If you take the cost of living in Edmond, that is where avg/nice areas in North Jersy begin. Also, you will not get the open fill of the OKC metro area. However, you are now near all that the NY metro area has to offer. Also get use to tolls, taxes and congestion. Put away your Sooners or Cowboys and start rooting for the Scarlet Knights. To be honest, I left Jersey du to the cost of living and live in the midwest. My salary is good, cost of living is lower and like you said, I live like a king.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey