Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2013, 09:11 PM

35 posts, read 69,967 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am interested in any information on Morris County NJ, more specifically Parsippany-Troy Hills Township and Morristown. My husband and I will be relocating from Florida in about a year. I have been receiving great information from posters when I posted on the NYC forum, but as we have been narrowing our search for neighborhoods and realize northern NJ might be what we need and still stay within an hour to NYC; I thought I should post on the NJ Forum instead. From what we have seen so far, Morristown seems like a great area but Parsippany-Troy Hills seems a little more affordable and has more housing options. Parsippany-Troy Hills also seems like a great area for families. We really would like a neighborhood with tree lined streets and character and above all safe area with great schools. What is the shopping, outdoor recreation, amenities like?Any information is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 09:46 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
Parsippany/Morristown are just about as far as you can go and still commute to NYC. I wouldn't want to do it, but people do. That said, its still an easy ride into NYC off peak either via car or train. Morris county in general has few bad areas. Property taxes are relatively low for NJ due to a lot of businesses being located within the county. Parsippany in particular is home to a ton of office buildings which keep the costs down. There is a large Indian population in Parsippany. Lots of shopping, lots of parks, lots of things to do in the area

Old 05-26-2013, 10:00 PM

385 posts, read 1,175,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridacanes View Post
Hello,
I am interested in any information on Morris County NJ, more specifically Parsippany-Troy Hills Township and Morristown. My husband and I will be relocating from Florida in about a year. I have been receiving great information from posters when I posted on the NYC forum, but as we have been narrowing our search for neighborhoods and realize northern NJ might be what we need and still stay within an hour to NYC; I thought I should post on the NJ Forum instead. From what we have seen so far, Morristown seems like a great area but Parsippany-Troy Hills seems a little more affordable and has more housing options. Parsippany-Troy Hills also seems like a great area for families. We really would like a neighborhood with tree lined streets and character and above all safe area with great schools. What is the shopping, outdoor recreation, amenities like?Any information is greatly appreciated.
back on the ny form, when i asked, you said your budget was 500k to 650k i think. if that is still the case, then chatham and madison are perfect for you. each have great schools, and both have nice downtowns and tree lined streets. there are malls nearby in livingston and short hills, and shopping is on route 10. they are both around 10-15 minutes from morristown and are at little as 45 minutes by train during rush hour to the city. homes in your range include 79 North Passaic Avenue, Chatham NJ - Trulia and 60 Minton Avenue, Chatham NJ - Trulia in chatham and 39 Greenwood Avenue, Madison NJ - Trulia and 221 Kings Road, Madison NJ - Trulia and 19 Green Village Road, Madison NJ - Trulia in madison.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:52 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
PLease complete: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...residents.html

Old 05-27-2013, 08:41 AM

35 posts, read 69,967 times
Thank you for the information and the links. Yes, that is our budget and we really liked the Madison/Chatham area, but we are in need of a 4-5 bedroom 2.5-3 bath home and I haven't been able to find houses like this in our price range so far. I really liked the houses on the links posted but they wouldn't be big enough as we have a large family. Is it possible to find this type of house in our budget in the Madison/Chatham area? We are definitely interested in those areas and if you can please point me in the right direction to some sites if this is possible that would be great. Thanks again.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:17 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Other areas you might consider are Whippany aka Hanover, Florham Park and Morris Plains. We used to live in Whippany and there are some options for commuting to NYC. There are buses, Lakeland for one. There are Park & Rides, where you leave your car and catch the bus into the city. I used to catch it at the corner of Route 46 and Beverwyck Rd. in Parsippany. About a 45 minute ride. Or the train station in Morristown.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:43 PM

385 posts, read 1,175,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridacanes View Post
Thank you for the information and the links. Yes, that is our budget and we really liked the Madison/Chatham area, but we are in need of a 4-5 bedroom 2.5-3 bath home and I haven't been able to find houses like this in our price range so far. I really liked the houses on the links posted but they wouldn't be big enough as we have a large family. Is it possible to find this type of house in our budget in the Madison/Chatham area? We are definitely interested in those areas and if you can please point me in the right direction to some sites if this is possible that would be great. Thanks again.
In chatham/madsion, in your budget, i don't think i can find anything, though if you extended your budget a little, there are options. there are many options however in chatham for 2 bath instead of 2.5, like 16 Woodland Road, Chatham NJ - Trulia and 10 Lum Avenue, Chatham NJ - Trulia and 22 Long Hill Lane, Chatham NJ - Trulia..

you can look at summit, the town each of chatham which has a large nice downtown, and has express train service to and from nyc. the options for you are 63 Winchip Road, Summit NJ - Trulia (just over budget), 43 Glendale Road, Summit NJ - Trulia and 62 Passaic Avenue, Summit NJ - Trulia.

i actually found options for you in millburn, a very wealthy town with great schools and nice downtown, and just 35 minutes by train to nyc in rush hour. i found 106 Glen Avenue, Millburn NJ - Trulia and 40 Milton Street, Millburn NJ - Trulia and 439 Millburn Avenue, Millburn NJ - Trulia.

you can also look in south orange and maplewood, where i am, which are northeast of millburn and have shorter times by train, nice downtowns, so and maplewood share schools, though not as great schools as the other towns. options are 370 Vose Avenue, South Orange NJ - Trulia and 115 Mayhew Drive, South Orange NJ - Trulia and 502 North Ridgewood Road, South Orange NJ - Trulia and 331 South Ridgewood Road, South Orange NJ - Trulia. in maplewood, 9 Claremont Avenue, Maplewood NJ - Trulia and 476 Summit Avenue, Maplewood NJ - Trulia and 15 Midland Boulevard, Maplewood NJ - Trulia and more.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:52 PM

206 posts, read 532,618 times
Floridacanes you have alot of options but will have to decide a bit on trade-off between home size and school ratings. You can get the home you are looking for in plenty of towns with "good" schools - Parsippany, Whippany/Cedar Knolls, Morristown, etc. Or you can get a smaller/less nice home in the "elite school" towns like Madison, Chatham, Summit. I think you'll be fine either way, all are good family places. Personally on a slightly higher budget i've given up on Madison/Chatham/Summit as i'm just not willing to compromise that much on the house itself, but there's no right or wrong answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey