Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2013, 09:12 PM

39 posts, read 74,693 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am planning to move to NJ soon. I will be renting to begin with.I was initially tilting towards living in Secaucus, but commuting to Grand Central from Secuacus is tough(NJ transit plus two subways). Is there any easier way to get to Grand Central. I have heard about direct bus service to Grand Central station from NJ. Any towns where buses run directly from NJ to grand Central?
I am asking as i have to take the Metro north from Grand central to Norwalk in CT for the next few months. So having a direct commute from NJ to grand central will make the total travel more doable.

Thanks in advance,
zz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 09:36 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
CitiBike!

I know of no bus that goes from NJ to GCT.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:16 PM

385 posts, read 1,175,250 times
a: walk to grand central (20 min)
b: take the bus, the q32 is 6 minutes from w 32nd street (between the mall and penn station) to 42nd and madison (1 block from gc)
c: take the 1 2 or 3 from penn to times square, then take the 7 or shuttle to gc

Old 05-30-2013, 08:43 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,320,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzebie View Post
Hi All,

I am planning to move to NJ soon. I will be renting to begin with.I was initially tilting towards living in Secaucus, but commuting to Grand Central from Secuacus is tough(NJ transit plus two subways). Is there any easier way to get to Grand Central. I have heard about direct bus service to Grand Central station from NJ. Any towns where buses run directly from NJ to grand Central?
I am asking as i have to take the Metro north from Grand central to Norwalk in CT for the next few months. So having a direct commute from NJ to grand central will make the total travel more doable.

Thanks in advance,
zz
I live in Jersey City. I take the PATH one stop to Exchange Place, then walk to Fulton Street and take the 4 or 5 train which is a three stop express to Grand Central. There are no direct routes to midtown from NJ. From Penn Station you take the 1, 2, or 3 train one stop to Times Square and then take the Shuttle (S) or 7 train to Grand Central. Good luck...

Old 05-30-2013, 11:47 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,963,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
I live in Jersey City. I take the PATH one stop to Exchange Place, then walk to Fulton Street and take the 4 or 5 train which is a three stop express to Grand Central. There are no direct routes to midtown from NJ. From Penn Station you take the 1, 2, or 3 train one stop to Times Square and then take the Shuttle (S) or 7 train to Grand Central. Good luck...
Winner, winner chicken dinner. (Although I think you meant "take the PATH one stop to WTC", not Exchange Place).

OP, this would be the quickest and easiest commute to Grand Central--rent a place near the Exchange Place PATH station in Jersey City. Your commute would probably be under 30 minutes. It's about a 5-minute ride on the PATH to the WTC, a very, very short walk from the WTC PATH station to the 4/5 subway station, and maybe about a 15-minute ride on the 4/5 express.

Really anywhere along the PATH line, or a town that's an easy drive to a PATH station, would make for the easiest commute to Grand Central from NJ. Even if you rented all the way out in Newark, your PATH ride would still only be 20 or 25 minutes tops.

If you commute into Penn Station or the Port Authority bus station, count on it taking a half hour to get from Penn Station to Grand Central, or from Port Authority to Grand Central, whether you walk or take a combination of subways. It will be quicker on the days that all the pedestrian signals/traffic lights are in your favor, or if you don't have to wait 10 minutes for a subway, or wait for the next one because the 1st one was too crowded, but you can't guarantee those things every time.

As for a BUS that goes from NJ to Grand Central, I think you are talking about the bus line that this person mentions in this post from another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmom View Post
Due to the availability of Suburban Transit (Coach Bus) service to Grand Central, surprisingly Central Jersey has a relatively easy commute to Grand Central. My spouse takes this bus from East Brunswick, takes a nap, and he's there in 1 hour 10 min. Bus schedule is listed on their website: http://www.coachusa.com/coachSS/ss.l...d=515027511238
A couple of buses in the link that frugalmom posted go to Grand Central.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:52 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,664,217 times
Not sure of your budget, but you could rent a 1BR in The Shipyard Complex (Either 1 or 2 Constitution in Hoboken). The ferry is right outside the building and you could hop the free NY Waterway shuttle to Grand Central.

It is by far the most expensive way to do it but the ferry is an awesome way to commute and the direct bus to Grand Central is pretty convenient.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:37 PM

595 posts, read 676,518 times
If you take a bus to Port Authority, Grand Central is 2 quick subway stops (about 5 minutes) on the 7 train. The 7 starts/ends at the PA, so it's pretty empty at rush hour.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:48 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,664,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeEC View Post
If you take a bus to Port Authority, Grand Central is 2 quick subway stops (about 5 minutes) on the 7 train. The 7 starts/ends at the PA, so it's pretty empty at rush hour.
Not sure if they changed this but the 7 train always used to end at Times Square, not Port Authority. You'd have to walk underground from 8th ave to 7th ave and once you did you were better off taking the S shuttle since there were 4 of them versus one 7 Train.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:22 PM

595 posts, read 676,518 times
That's a good point. I wasn't thinking about the underground walk. Since I don't leave the building it's kind of all the same to me. The walk to the 7 is closer than the shuttle and it runs very frequently. I would consider it two 7 trains since both tracks are in use. I take it a few times a week into queens and I rarely wait more than a couple of minutes for a train to appear. Typically there's always one waiting for me and I get a seat 99% of the time.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:19 PM

39 posts, read 74,693 times
Hi everybody, thanks for all the helpful posts above so far. Appreciating all the inputs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey