U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 09:21 AM

316 posts, read 896,235 times

Advertisements

Hi fellow home owners. What do you think of pavers versus a wood deck? I was originally leaning toward having a wood deck installed over my current concrete slab just off my back door (the current concrete slab is cracking and ugly). I have 2 small children so I thought a wood deck would not only make the patio area look nice, but be a safer alternative for the kids (running around, playing, etc). So I got some quotes from a few deck contractors. It was pretty pricey, so I waited. Then one contractor told me he does not reccomend a wood deck, due to the proximity to the ground. He thought that the wood deck might have water damage / rotting issues in the future because there will not be much room (air) between the bottom of the deck and the concrete slab underneath. Also, because of the beams that will need to be laid underneath, this might disrupt the water flow on the concrete foundation, possibly causing water to collect in spots and not run away from the house. I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on this. I find it interesting that the previous contractors did not mention that concern at all. In fact, they said that laying the wood on the ground would not be an issue at all and water will find its own level. Completely different opinions! But now I am leaning toward the pavers, as the last contractor quoted me a price very comparable (actually a little cheaper) than the previous wood deck prices. And the pavers requires much less future maintenance which is a plus. The other option he told me I could do is a composite deck instead of wood but then the price jumped up a lot. thanks all!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 09:49 AM

885 posts, read 2,087,569 times
Composite deck would only be the top boards frame and supports still have to be made of wood

Old 05-30-2013, 11:30 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,267,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikieguns View Post
Hi fellow home owners. What do you think of pavers versus a wood deck? I was originally leaning toward having a wood deck installed over my current concrete slab just off my back door (the current concrete slab is cracking and ugly). I have 2 small children so I thought a wood deck would not only make the patio area look nice, but be a safer alternative for the kids (running around, playing, etc). So I got some quotes from a few deck contractors. It was pretty pricey, so I waited. Then one contractor told me he does not reccomend a wood deck, due to the proximity to the ground. He thought that the wood deck might have water damage / rotting issues in the future because there will not be much room (air) between the bottom of the deck and the concrete slab underneath. Also, because of the beams that will need to be laid underneath, this might disrupt the water flow on the concrete foundation, possibly causing water to collect in spots and not run away from the house. I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on this. I find it interesting that the previous contractors did not mention that concern at all. In fact, they said that laying the wood on the ground would not be an issue at all and water will find its own level. Completely different opinions! But now I am leaning toward the pavers, as the last contractor quoted me a price very comparable (actually a little cheaper) than the previous wood deck prices. And the pavers requires much less future maintenance which is a plus. The other option he told me I could do is a composite deck instead of wood but then the price jumped up a lot. thanks all!
The contractor who cautioned about rotting is right on the money. Any wood that comes in contact with the ground is going to be likely to rot and also fall victim to carpenter ants, regardless of if its treated wood. Unfortunately many contractors, regardless of the quality of their work, don't think a project through and leave the homeowner open to many future issues. They just look at what the homeowner is asking for and figure out a way to make it happen.

It sounds like given your situation, pavers are a better option. Not sure if this is applicable in your circumstance but you might also want to check with your town regarding your impervious lot coverage. Most towns in NNJ have limits as to how much of the ground can be covered(Flood and draining issues) with impervious material( like pavers, driveways, house, shed, walkways, etc). This is more of a factor in towns with smaller lots and houses that are close together. If they catch you while you are doing the installation they will likely fine you and hold up the operation until you get it cleared through the town building department(happened to yours truly). In most cases you do not need a permit to install pavers but you do need a review of your survey. For a deck you almost always need a permit and it can affect your tax assessment.

Last edited by Goldendoodle1969; 05-30-2013 at 12:14 PM..

Old 05-30-2013, 12:16 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,456,287 times
My vote is for the pavers. Also, in some towns you pay tax on cement slabs and on decks, but not on anything that is removable. Pavers are removable. See if you can get a tax break by installing pavers after you remove the cement slab.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:06 PM

312 posts, read 634,599 times
A deck whose structure is built with pressure-treated wood will last a long time. In theory, eventually the wood may rot, but you have the same issue with the wood used to build your house.

I would go for the paver patio though, as I think it is much nicer.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:28 PM

1,041 posts, read 2,853,286 times
pavers

Old 05-31-2013, 05:27 AM

11,340 posts, read 10,010,832 times
Pavers don't last all that long either. It usually isn't long before they are heaving and settling and no longer offering a flat surface. Paver stones also deteriorate on their own from assault by the sun and ice. Weeds and grass grow between them also, so eventually you have to either pull the weeds or put poison on the patio, which is not an attractive option with barefoot kids. Both have advantages and disadvantages. But I rarely see a 10 year old paver patio that doesn't have a lot of problems.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:10 PM

Thanks all. I am leaning toward the pavers at the moment. The contractor said he can use the current concrete slab as a foundation and we won't have to rip it up.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:21 PM

277 posts, read 623,125 times
The question is, which one will you get the bigger return on investment when it comes time to sell? I would get the wood deck rather than the pavers since its easy on the wallet.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:46 PM

Actually the pavers quote I got is a little less than for a wood deck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>