Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 09:17 AM

478 posts, read 1,230,138 times

Advertisements

Prices in Montclair are up about 10% this spring in areas that are close to transportation and in the $600-$800k range (some in the up to $1million range). Most sell in the first week. There was pent up demand from urban area buyers (west side and Brooklyn primarily, here) that waited for prices to bottom. Well, they have and interest rates are low. Couple this with a very strong market in the city and buyers are either coming out with a lot of cash from proceeds from a recent sale or they see a lot value here despite taxes. Also, we are seeing empty nesters hold on to their houses, either because they think there is additional upside or, simply, they love the town and their homes and aren't ready to move on. As was mentioned, if you are looking to get by the school year and want a done house near the train, you are going to pay a premium. We are seeing buyers pay 100k over the 750k ask here for the right house. Of course the most inventory is on in the spring, so it is in your interest to look now, but if you want a deal, look for a "grandma house" that needs cosmetic work (carpet up, wallpaper down, maybe a new kitchen and bath) and comes on in the fall. alternatively, scale back your home requirements figuring you have to pay more or bite the bullet and take on more debt, which is super cheap right now. Good luck, you'll find your house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 10:01 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times
Default We are seeing buyers pay 100k over the 750k

This people was one of the reasons for the housing bubble. Got to love the people that do this. A person only ASKS 750K for a home and someone gives them 850K. Makes sense to me. My Toyota is for sale for 15K anyone want to give me 20K for it.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:24 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
I agree, folks that were waiting for prices to drop further are now seeing that not only are prices NOT dropping, but rates ARE rising (i think up to 4% this week). I am thinking there will be a lot of pent up demand.
I went to "seminar" at a real estate office a few weeks ago--basically one of those sessions where the RE office is trying to recruit new salespeople. Was interesting overall, but what the woman was saying was pretty much that. They are seeing buyers coming out now but there isn't enough inventory on the market yet. People who gave up on selling may start thinking about it again.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:31 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
I have been waiting to make improvements on my home. I wanted to see where the market was headed before sinking any more money in. I think now is the perfect time to pull some money out of stocks and put it into real estate, so I am starting on those improvements that I have sidelined for the last 5 years.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:27 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
For several years, there were irrational sellers who didn't beleive that their houses wouldn't sell for what it may have been worth before the big drop.

Now, it seems we have buyers who can't believe that they can't get the same deal that was out there months ago.

Supply and demand always in effect and never impacted by what buyers or sellers want.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:33 PM

168 posts, read 417,347 times
The inventory is somewhat low and therefore the good properties are picked up right away because some people need to move. However the not so good properties or the ones that are overpriced sit.
Inventory has grown much recently in most towns and as soon as more houses come into market prices will stabilize. Economy is weak, income has not increased, life is costlier there is no reason for house prices to come up-just low inventory. Prices have not gone up much since the recent lows here in NJ so wait it out if you can.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:44 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedus View Post
The inventory is somewhat low and therefore the good properties are picked up right away because some people need to move. However the not so good properties or the ones that are overpriced sit.
Inventory has grown much recently in most towns and as soon as more houses come into market prices will stabilize. Economy is weak, income has not increased, life is costlier there is no reason for house prices to come up-just low inventory. Prices have not gone up much since the recent lows here in NJ so wait it out if you can.
I think the truth lies somewhere close to the middle,between this post and some of the housing bulls.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:01 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,827,454 times
westfield is one of the best towns in NJ, inventory has always been low.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:14 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,323,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
This people was one of the reasons for the housing bubble. Got to love the people that do this. A person only ASKS 750K for a home and someone gives them 850K. Makes sense to me. My Toyota is for sale for 15K anyone want to give me 20K for it.

Used Toyotas are a dime a dozen...15k is way too high.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:38 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stradivarius View Post
You nailed it right in the head with your explanation.

Quantitative Easing is Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke's policies to keep interest rates artificially low to help jump start the economy, right? Consistent with one of the biggest concerns of QE, the housing market is slowly (or is it quickly?) starting to show signs of inflation.

My wife and I are so glad to have bought back in January. Our real estate agent was telling me that she recently had a house on the market in our hometown for just two days, and she also knew of one house which had 17 offers. Insane.
It helps that home prices dropped as far as 2002-2003 prices, which brought a lot more buyers into the market. Sellers have started pricing their homes more appropriately, and the ones who weathered the storm may no longer be underwater on their mortgages so they actually CAN sell their home without a short sale. Home in my neighborhood have been turning over quite quickly this spring, and i can see people who have attempted to sell their homes over the past 3 years but gave up have started listing their homes again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey