Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 01:51 PM

5 posts, read 8,417 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I currently work in Cedar Knolls and am commuting from Bergen County (30+ miles each way). I'd like to move closer to work, preferably in the 10-15 mile range. Unfortunately I don't think I can go over $1,000 per month for rent.
I'm single, in my early 20s, and consider safety and budget to be the most important factors. I'm not familiar with Morris County at all, so any suggestions are welcome

Thank you all in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 02:18 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,323,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbuxaddict View Post
Hi everyone,

I currently work in Cedar Knolls and am commuting from Bergen County (30+ miles each way). I'd like to move closer to work, preferably in the 10-15 mile range. Unfortunately I don't think I can go over $1,000 per month for rent.
I'm single, in my early 20s, and consider safety and budget to be the most important factors. I'm not familiar with Morris County at all, so any suggestions are welcome

Thank you all in advance!
I believe there are some renovated apartments in Chatham that are totally safe and good location for commuting to work although $1,000 might be tight.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:07 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
I think the Mountain Club on Rt 10 in Parsippany rents for $1000 or slightly above. Covenient spot with decent amenities.

(or you could go for a roommate and get a bigger place)

Old 06-03-2013, 03:16 PM

323 posts, read 575,461 times
20s you say?

Old 06-03-2013, 08:56 PM

131 posts, read 274,127 times
How are you affording Bergen County and gas back and forth daily? Are you sure you can't go a bit higher than $1000? What about living in Morristown itself? Maybe a shared house with roommates?

Old 06-04-2013, 02:58 PM

391 posts, read 1,476,454 times
+1 on Morristown. Great downtown, restaurants, bars etc. i have no idea what rent would be but $1000 per month sounds low to me no matter where you are looking. +1 on roommate too.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:32 PM

163 posts, read 431,433 times
Morristown! I grew up in Cedar Knolls, came back after college, and spent my 20s and 30s living in the Motown area. The rent might be problematic, but if you find a roommate, you're set, and you can't really have a better place to live in your 20s than Morristown. If that's too pricey, look at Morris Plains and even in Cedar Knolls/Whippany.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:16 PM

385 posts, read 1,175,834 times
morristown is a great place, tons of restaurants, stores, and just down ridgedale from cedar knolls. however i could not find much besides Witherspoon Court, Morristown NJ - Trulia. so, you can look in other towns, like denville, whose downtown isn't like morristown, but is still nice. it is a very safe area, and you can just take rt 10 to cedar knolls, options i found are 13 Highland Trail, Denville NJ - Trulia and 18 Augusta Street, Denville NJ - Trulia. i also found something in parsippany, which is near hanover: Tivoli Gardens, Parsippany - Trulia.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:51 AM

5 posts, read 8,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
I believe there are some renovated apartments in Chatham that are totally safe and good location for commuting to work although $1,000 might be tight.
That's what I thought as well, isn't Chatham kind of pricy? It's a nice area

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
I think the Mountain Club on Rt 10 in Parsippany rents for $1000 or slightly above. Covenient spot with decent amenities.

(or you could go for a roommate and get a bigger place)
I'll have to check that out, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikinman63 View Post
20s you say?
23, to be exact

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjanet View Post
How are you affording Bergen County and gas back and forth daily? Are you sure you can't go a bit higher than $1000? What about living in Morristown itself? Maybe a shared house with roommates?
I'm living with my parents right now, so the rent they're asking for is significantly less. And gas costs me between $200-250 a month

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Jalikeakick View Post
+1 on Morristown. Great downtown, restaurants, bars etc. i have no idea what rent would be but $1000 per month sounds low to me no matter where you are looking. +1 on roommate too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by netsirk View Post
Morristown! I grew up in Cedar Knolls, came back after college, and spent my 20s and 30s living in the Motown area. The rent might be problematic, but if you find a roommate, you're set, and you can't really have a better place to live in your 20s than Morristown. If that's too pricey, look at Morris Plains and even in Cedar Knolls/Whippany.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slope95 View Post
morristown is a great place, tons of restaurants, stores, and just down ridgedale from cedar knolls. however i could not find much besides Witherspoon Court, Morristown NJ - Trulia. so, you can look in other towns, like denville, whose downtown isn't like morristown, but is still nice. it is a very safe area, and you can just take rt 10 to cedar knolls, options i found are 13 Highland Trail, Denville NJ - Trulia and 18 Augusta Street, Denville NJ - Trulia. i also found something in parsippany, which is near hanover: Tivoli Gardens, Parsippany - Trulia.
Looks like Morristown is the popular place! I did a quick search and there seem to be a few apartments in the area that are around $1000/month, which doesn't seem so bad. I'm debating a roommate with a 2br because it seems like it would essentially halve the rent without the overall rate not that much higher than a 1br, but I'd prefer to live on my own.

Thanks everyone!

Old 06-06-2013, 09:05 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
a roomate is a definite way to save money. you'll split utilities also!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey